DTV HD Receiver installation help?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gubmit

Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
Here's hoping someone can give me some advice on an issue I am having w/ my custom home builder. I wanted to have all my HD receivers (3), in the family room and the wiring run from there, to all other areas in my home, but still be able to receive a HD signal to my room and patio. The plan is to have a flat screen mounted on my wall and not have a receiver off to the side or have to use a stand, same for the outside. I am supposed to have some sensor or relay to avoid having the receiver in the rooms installed, but going through the house yesterday I did not see any other connections other than coax cable cpnnections and when I discussed this w/ the person doing the wiring he stated that the only way to get a HD signal to the other rooms in the house he would need to amplify the signal which is going to cost me that much more, and he stated something about loosing HD quality if the receiver is more than 20 feet from the TV or something (not sure if he was talking about wiring or whatever). Don't I just need HDMI or A/V connections for the HD signal to do this? I am quite shocked that this custom builder has not been asked to do this before, and why Directv has not thought of making receivers that don't have to be in the same room as the TV - I believe Dish has something like this. Either way any advise would be greatly appreciated on how anyone else has handled this situation w/out placing a Directv HD reciever in the same room.

You can run HD to another room a couple of ways.

1. Run a Cat 5e line from the Receiver room to wherever. Its a direct line and you have to get a component balun that converts component and digital audio to Cat 5e. You need one on each end. There are some baluns that require 2 Cat 5e lines but the lines are cheap. The baluns are not. The pair may cost $150 or so. Shop around. I use a non powered one by Muxlab. Works great.

2. Run an HDMI line in the wall from the Receiver room to wherever. You can get a simple HDMI matrix switcher if your TV room is also going to use HDMI off the same receiver. I use this one. 3 x 2 HDMI Cross Switch. 3 x 2 HDMI Cross switcher allows switching 3 HDMI sources with Dual Displays. Keep in mind it wont allow you to watch the same receiver at the same time but it does allow you to connect all 3 HD boxes and have each room watch a different box with the flick of a button. I ran an HDMI cable no amplification 75 feet no problems at all.

3. Run component and audio lines in the wall from Receiver to wherever. You can go 100 feet with no amplification and little to no signal loss. I have a 90 foot setup and works fine. You can also buy component switchers if you plan on feeding more then one TV with component. I use this one. VS CSM42 Ultra Wideband Matrix Switch

So you can easily do this. I am assuming you will use RF to control the HR20's? If so, your only limitation will be wiring and that is not hard at all.

why in god's green earth do yo want all the recievers in the same room? Is it really necessary? Why make it that difficult? If you insist on it then it should be expensive. I hope you don't plan on just having some poor tech come out and hook all this stuff up as part of a "standard" install. Good luck with that one. Just have plenty of cash on hand to pay for all the custom work he will have to do to make it work. Don't expect pity either, you are making it way more dificult than it has to be and you should get hammered for it.

God's green earth is my server closet. It serves the whole house. Thats why I do it. As for a tech to support it, are you kidding? I wont even let them near a basic room install. Its not for everyone but dont knock someone that wants to try multi-room viewing. Its actually quite easy to maintain and use. And it blows folks away what I can do. So thats why.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)