DTV in Canada...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

santino

Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
I have an account with dtv in canada, im using a US address for my account...

what are my options to have a phone line connected to my receiver?

people have said vonage..but i just got vonage hooked up and still a no go...

is there any way to get vonage to work or what are my other options?

I basically want to enable my DVR functions as well as order ppv with my remote.

thanks

What happends when you try it with vonage, I think read in another post, there is a prefix to dial

Search for serial over PPP. Cable available from places like Weaknees. Works like a charm, and MUCH faster!

By the way, any DirecTiVo will work within Canada via a standard phone line, but you're right, the PPVs will need something extra, as the built-in toll-free numbers will not work... Good luck!

It works over a serial port, no phone line needed. It works on every D* Tivo out there (I've used it on my HD Tivo and R10 myself). If you have broadband, and need to do a setup and/or get rid of the call-in nag messages, works like a charm.

ok i did some more searching and was able to use vonage to dial out my receiver, i needed a call waiting prefix of "*99,,," (wihtout the quotes of course) and a dial prefix of "12122717103" and it worked like a charm

but explain to me this Serial PPP thing, are there tutorials out there?

thanks

I'm a rookie, so don't flame.

Isnt this stealing signal? Getting D-TV in Canada with a US addy.

its not stealing...i am paying for the signal...but that signal isnt exactly allowed to be viewed in canada....its sort of grey market

Hockeyfan16 said:
What can they do if they find out?

They could do alot of things...

What they actually will do is turn your service off and possibly charge a cancellation of service fee..

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it..

Clarkey said:
By the way, any DirecTiVo will work within Canada via a standard phone line, but you're right, the PPVs will need something extra, as the built-in toll-free numbers will not work... Good luck!

Clarkey....are you sure you can hook up a Tivo receiver from Canada and get software updates and get rid of the plug your phone in Nag if the receiver hasn't been plugged in for a while. Thanks in advance for your reply.

You could always have a vonage account and have a US phone number too. I have a NY phone number and i'm in AZ

MrLepton said:
Clarkey....are you sure you can hook up a Tivo receiver from Canada and get software updates and get rid of the plug your phone in Nag if the receiver hasn't been plugged in for a while. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Absolutely, I've been doing it for a year now. There are even "local" dial-in numbers across Canada for the TiVo related information (favourite shows, etc.) where are the guide and updates come via satellite. I've never unplugged it, so I've only read about these "nag" screens. :p

hancox said:
Search for serial over PPP. Cable available from places like Weaknees. Works like a charm, and MUCH faster!

Can you point me in the direction of Serial over PPP, Having problems finding info on that

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD on 101 satty

will this setup work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)