DTV Lead Tech says NO differance between Hr 100-700 models

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Was talking with the lead tech in the internet dept about the issue with the HR20-21 freezing if network cable plugged in.

I asked why all the fuss between the 100-700 Models of the Hr20-Hr21. He said they laugh at all the forum posts about this. He said there is only one differance. The 100 was made in Calif and the 700 is made in New Jersey. He said there is absolutly no stability, speed or any differance in the models.

Just passing on his wisdom:)

Thats ODD,
The -700 is made by PACE and the -100 is Thompson
The -700 has a 300gb Hard drive, -100 has a 320 GB HD
The -700 has an internal RF set up, the 100 has an external antenna.
I don't have a -100 anymore, but I think there are differences in the audio inputs to, I think one has an optical and another has optical and another way to connect.

Jimbo

Sorry, he said the companies that distribute them are from Calif and New Jersey. He said it was 2 different companys. My bad.

PACE definatly made the -700 and I know it's not in the US, I believe it says made in China on the box, now maybe they have a warehouse or offices in the US.

Yup, the sticker on the bottom of the box says "Made in China " ...

Looks like they do have operations in the US after all, if I have the right site, there are a few PACE listed when googling.

PACE Electronics :: Satellite Equipment, Tools, Supplies&More

Jimbo

This was most definatly one of there top engineers. He answered by accident as they put me straight thru to him. He has been with them since 1996. He had some great info and was very honest.

Like I asked why Dish has the speed burst thru commercials and has not removed. He said its a money thing. The distributors of the programming or channels make better deals if they leave out the commercial advance like DTV, Comcrasp and others are now doing. He said if we wanted to pay more monthtly we could still have it. However he had statistics on how many really use it.

He also admitted fault with the Beta internet on demand being very buggy.

I think what he meant by the 100-700 and hr20-21 comparisons was that the only real tangible thing was the non OTA on the 21 model. He said throwing a party if you get a 700 vs. 100 is just not real for anything worth partying about. LOL

This was most definatly one of there top engineers. He answered by accident as they put me straight thru to him. He has been with them since 1996. He had some great info and was very honest.

Like I asked why Dish has the speed burst thru commercials and has not removed. He said its a money thing. The distributors of the programming or channels make better deals if they leave out the commercial advance like DTV, Comcrasp and others are now doing. He said if we wanted to pay more monthtly we could still have it. However he had statistics on how many really use it.

He also admitted fault with the Beta internet on demand being very buggy.

I think what he meant by the 100-700 and hr20-21 comparisons was that the only real tangible thing was the non OTA on the 21 model. He said throwing a party if you get a 700 vs. 100 is just not real for anything worth partying about. LOL

I got you now,
There are many differences between the two (HR20-700,-100) but they both work funtionally the same, it's not like IF I got a 100 I'd turn it back, I've had one and used it and it worked fine for the most part, when it did start acting up, they replaced it with a -700.
Same goes for the HR20-700, they essentailly work the same, with the exception to the No OTA Tuner on the HR21 series.

So if the question was : Whats the difference between the units (without getting into specifics), they do the same thing and both work close to the same way.

Jimbo

PACE definatly made the -700 and I know it's not in the US, I believe it says made in China on the box, now maybe they have a warehouse or offices in the US.

Yup, the sticker on the bottom of the box says "Made in China " ...

Looks like they do have operations in the US after all, if I have the right site, there are a few PACE listed when googling.

PACE Electronics :: Satellite Equipment, Tools, Supplies&More

Jimbo

Different Pace. The DVRs are made by Pace PLC, which is headquartered in the UK. Pace also makes the AM21 OTA tuner for the HR21.

Thomson sold its set-top business to Audiovox (some of the other RCA products, such as accessories were sold to Audiovox previously).

Different Pace. The DVRs are made by Pace PLC, which is headquartered in the UK. Pace also makes the AM21 OTA tuner for the HR21.

Thomson sold its set-top business to Audiovox (some of the other RCA products, such as accessories were sold to Audiovox previously).

Your right,
Back in the beginning , I looked that up and found the one you mentioned and when I googled it, I came up with the wrong one this time ... interestingly enough, the other Pace also deal in electronics.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts