DTV Message About Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

palermo22

Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
I have had DirecTV for over two years - I use it with my Tivo - never had a problem until recently when I started receiving a message "Can't Find Satellite 1 or 2" (separate messages). I unplug the receiver and the message goes away - just wondering what is going on. The dish has not been moved and the reception is still very good.

Thanks

Do you have a multiswitch? If so you may have a bad multiswitch.

OK - I am admittedly a novice at this - how would I know if I have a multiswitch (I know I do have the capability of looking at three different satellites). And, if that is the problem how do I repair it?

Thanks

Do you have the triple LNB dish? If so your multiswitch is built into the dish.

I'm basing that you do off of what you just said, that you have the capability to see 3 satellites. Is it just Satellite 1 and 2 that you're getting the error on your screen from?

yes, I have the triple LNB Dish - and the message only seems to pertain to Satellite 1.

Is there something in the way of Satellite 1 that is blocking the line of sight to the satellite, like a tree or something?

That would be too easy - no, there isn't! Again, after I unplug the receiver (Tivo/satellite receiver) and plug it in again - the problem goes away. I would assume if there were blockage then unplugging it wouldn't mean a thing.

Neutron said:
Do you have the triple LNB dish? If so your multiswitch is built into the dish. I'm basing that you do off of what you just said, that you have the capability to see 3 satellites. Is it just Satellite 1 and 2 that you're getting the error on your screen from?

No 100% correct. Before the "Phase-3" versions the original 3 LNB dishes required an external multi-switch. AND if you used a 1st - 3rd generation IRD, some of them are not 100% compatible with those external models.

That's right. I forgot about the three lnb dish that you had to buy the Sat C kit to make it three LNB.

The other issue you are missing here is: the satellite 1 and 2 is referring to the actual lines coming into the Tivo unit, not the satellites themselves. So he's having an issue with the first satellite input on the tivo. Which could be a bad cable, a bad multiswitch, or the tuner for that input could be going bad.

Neutron said:
That's right. I forgot about the three lnb dish that you had to buy the Sat C kit to make it three LNB.

Yep, that was my first jump into HD back in the beginning days when I think we had one channel and they failed to mention the multi-switches (unless asked) nor did they mention the generational issues until pressed. I had 2 Sony SAT-A1s and one A4 and a Pany TUHDS20. It was hell for a few weeks trying to figure it out. And that RCA dish was a heavy sucker.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bravo HD

Closed Captions on ESPN-HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)