DTV OTA Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
Voom is going to leave the satellite and OTA attenna behind all they want is the receiver. I was going to use the OTA attenna for my DTV box the guys said I would need some kind of adaptor or power source for it... The OTA antenna is a Wingard and looks like a car spoiler.

I have hooked it up just to test the HTLHD for OTA signals but nothing came through...

Any advice? The install guy will prolly be able to get it working right away but I want to make sure I know how to do it if he doesn't hook it up for me.

RG-6 should carry the signal... how far are you from station tower?
If not mistaken the ant. you are describing is only good for about 30-40 miles, any one else care to input?

the antenna is only good for about 40 miles correct.. its currently hooked up to my voom satellite and brings in local channels. Although when i plug the coax into the back of my D* box I can't get locals (this could be because no d* signal is being received as my D* dish has not been installed yet)

Its official. the installer said they will charge extra if I want them to hook up the OTA antenna. As I stated previously the OTA atenna works fine on voom and voom will be leaving it behind so I should be able to use it for D*

The Voom install guy said that if I wanted to use the OTA atenna for D* I would need some kind of line amp or something (not sure if he was right or if he thought the antenna was a powered antenna or perhaps the voom box powers the antenna and the D* box doesnt do this)

Nonetheless what will I need to get this going for D* after they do the install?

From your description it is either a Winegard GS1000 or a GS2000. The GS2000 has a built in amplifier that needs a power supply, seeing you have no picture I would guess you have the GS2000. You should be able to use a power passing diplexer to send the receivers voltage to the amplifier in the GS2000 and power it.

The thing is just to try to test the new D* Receiver I got.. I unplugged it from the Voom receiver and plugged it into the D* receiver obviously it wont pick up satellite signal but I figured the OTA Channels should come through.

Nothing came through the D* receiver at all it wouldn't pick up satellite (obviously) or OTA channels. So i figured something else might be needed different for D* then is needed for V*

LOL I think I might have figured out the problem... someone please help if you know.

Voom has a box that snaps on the back of the receiver that splits the signal of the dish and the OTA antenna.

The HTLHD doesn't have this box so When I plug in the source from voom I am pluggin it into where the satellite source should be. The box has an ANT IN plug.

should I just hook up a splitter to get the signal to both inputs?

Remember Alvarez that the Voom receiver powers the OTA antenna, I'm not sure if the DTV one does so with the same voltage.

I was right lol.. I hooked up the voom signal and ota signal up to the ANT IN and all the channels are coming in fine now.

Well beings they said they are gonna charge me more for the installation of the OTA antenna even though I told them I had all this when I signed up for the free installation and D* said the installer would set it up and now they say it will be $100. I am not gonna let him touch this cable already running into my house for voom.. He will have to drill ANOTHER hole through this brick that took the last guy like an hour to get through.

But this time it will be 3 holes through the bricks for the 3 room setup not just the 2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts