Dtv to buy Tivo?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A few times over the last 9-14 mos. I have also read about Apple, Cisco, Google and Microsoft buying them as well.

Last edited:
This one was verified by Dan Colins who is the administrator over at DBSForums, not to be confused with DBSTalk:eek: . If Dan posts it, it is valid. It seems D* is upset with feedback over the R15 and delays over the HR20. So feelers have been made. That is as far as it has gotten.

Plus Dragon002 posted it in another thread last week.;)

Oh I didn't say it was not possible, just that they were among a list s rumored suitors; of that list they and Ms would be the only plausible in my book.

Here was the story last April 05

Washington, D.C.. (April 4, 2005) -- A little over a year ago, the DIRECTV-TiVo relationship seemed to be a perfect marriage.

The satellite TV provider was using the Digital Video Recording service to attract new subscribers, particularly among early adopters of new technology.

TiVo, which had struggled to persuade VCR owners to try the new technology, could count on DIRECTV to provide a steady stream of new customers.

Both sides were benefiting. However, today, the two companies appear headed for divorce. DIRECTV has announced that it will launch its own DVR service. Although the satcaster continues to market TiVo, many analysts question whether the relationship will continue when their current marketing agreement expires in 2007.

What happen to this blissful arrangement? The answer: Rupert Murdoch.

Murdoch's News Corp. purchased a controlling interest in DIRECTV in late 2003. Soon after the paperwork was dry, Murdoch made an offer to buy a similar controlling interest in TiVo. The media mogul advised TiVo that it would be in its best interest, considering that DIRECTV was generating approximately 70 percent of the DVR service's new subs. What would happen if DIRECTV was suddenly no longer your partner? TiVo was asked.

Despite the implicit threat, TiVo's top management did not like Murdoch's offer. Under the plan, News Corp. would effectively have control of the company, although it was offering to purchase less than a majority stake. (Similarly, News Corp. purchased a controlling interest in DIRECTV, but owns just 35 percent of the company.) TiVo felt that Murdoch was trying to get the company on the cheap.

In addition, TiVo executives were concerned that the DIRECTV deal would forever prevent it from aligning with the cable TV industry and reaching a mass audience. DIRECTV now has more than 14 million subscribers, but cable operators reach nearly 70 million homes.

So, TiVo said no. However, you don't say no to Rupert Murdoch without consequences.

Soon after, DIRECTV chairman Eddy Hartenstein resigned from TiVo's board of directors. Then, DIRECTV sold its entire equity stake in TiVo, which first led to rumors that the two companies were on the outs. And finally, DIRECTV announced at the January 2005 Consumer Electronics Show that it would launch its own DVR service, separate from TiVo.

What's Next?

Now, the two companies are like a old married couple who must continue to live together without certainty of a future. DIRECTV is still aggressively marketing TiVo, but it's unclear if that will continue when DIRECTV's new DVR partners are ready with boxes and software. (Under its own brand, DIRECTV is expected to offer future DVR products from Humax and NDS, the latter of which is owned by parent company News Corp.) TiVo, which publicly says the relationship is as strong as ever, still must rely on DIRECTV for the majority of its new subs. (The company has signed a licensing deal with Comcast, but it will not go into effect until late 2006, at the earliest.)

With the TiVo-Comcast deal on the horizon, it's possible that DIRECTV will want to continue its relationship with the DVR service post-2007. The satcaster certainly doesn't relish the prospect of Comcast boasting that it has TiVo while the satellite service doesn't..

However, Murdoch has always danced to a different beat. History shows that if he can't buy 'em, he'll eventually try to destroy 'em. Murdoch may feel that he can do without TiVo, regardless of what cable does.

In fact, despite the marketing pressures, I predict that Murdoch will let TiVo go. He's just not the kind of person who succumbs to pressure. He's the kind that likes to apply it.

herdfan said:
This one was verified by Dan Colins who is the administrator over at DBSForums, not to be confused with DBSTalk:eek: . If Dan posts it, it is valid. It seems D* is upset with feedback over the R15 and delays over the HR20. So feelers have been made. That is as far as it has gotten.

Plus Dragon002 posted it in another thread last week.;)

damn, herd,

i posted it first, and i get JR. billing??:confused:

rupert will have his hands on tivo soon.

Now, if D* bought TIVO, how would that affect the Comcast/TIVO deal?
I find it hard to believe that D* would want to supply a competitor with a state of the art dvr.:confused:

shugo77 said:
I find it hard to believe that D* would want to supply a competitor with a state of the art dvr.:confused:
Maybe they'll give Comcast the R15!

shugo77 said:

If I was Rupert, when I get TIVO, and Comcast wanted to keep it, they would have to let D* get CSN Philly and CSS and other channels that Comcast has been balking at getting.

With the way that Directv is now operating you know that they would just totally screw up tivo with all their tinkering.

dragon002 said:
damn, herd,

i posted it first, and i get JR. billing??:confused:

rupert will have his hands on tivo soon.
I gave you credit for posting it first.;)

Its your fault for letting me get to this thread before you. You need to monitor these things 24/7.:p

I think it would be a good move for D*. Tivo has a good brand name and they could continue to let Tivo operate and try to generate revenue while supplying boxes to Directv. Murdock could actually start making money on Cable from Comcast and anyone else who wants to use it as a stand alone unit.

For us, the very best component of the DirecTV service we get is TiVo software (mated to the D* schedule and channels), with the dual tuner HD PVR capability a close second.

Why is my instant reaction that if D* actually controlled TiVo, they'd do something to mess it up or wreck it altogether? Or, lower the quality and raise the price.

The good news would be to keep TiVo software mated to DirecTV receivers-the bad news would be that you might not want the TiVo software anymore after D* got done messing with it.

Who knows? If it's something D* is "rumored" to be doing, it will happen much later than expected if it ever happens.

Sure am glad we got one of the last R10s, though. Mrs. HC is now very comfortable with her Harmony remote and TiVo. Please no to starting over with her.

This news used to matter but now I that I use my Windows Media Center most of the time, most DVR functions are done with the server. I am waiting for the Directv capture card when Vista arrives and Tivo or NDS controlled DVR software wont even matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)