DTV vs Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

larryah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Bartlesville,OK
Just want to add my two cents worth to the "Great Debate" over which is better...DTV or Dish.

I have had DTV for three months, and am very pleased with it. Used retail installer and I got all the newest equipment.

Had Dish for five years, and started having trouble with the DVR. Called Dish, and was told they had upgraded their software, and my model of DVR didnt work well with it. So they said I could get an upgraded DVR for $50 and signing an 18 month contract!

I said Hell No, I had paid $5 a month on their version of the Protection Plan for five years, and that was supposed to cover all my equipment. I went as high on the food chain as I could go and the best they would offer was dropping the $50 charge. Again I said NO (less politely than the first time. They said the only other thing they could go was send me the same model DVR, but it probably wouldnt work with the new software either.

So thats what they did, and the repalcement DVR worked fine. I think they tried to cheat me, and I wont stand for that. I dorpped them and went to Cable, and then on to DTV.

Couldnt say, but I received it around October 2002. It was black and very plain looking, but worked well for five years

Well normally I would love to read another Dish Network bashing thread, BUT its obvious you had not spent any time with the VIP HD DVRs.
Sorry But still the best in the HD DVR business.

If and When I get the HR24, then maybe I'll change my tune about the equipment, But from Years of history with the HR's they still have the same issue as they did day one.

I guess I did not make my point clear. I am not debating the quality of Dish's equipment, in fact I stated my DVR worked well for five years.

The point is they screwed up the DVR by upgrading their software, and tried to force me to pay them $50 and sign a new contract over a situation they caused. And when I had been paying $5 a month for 5 years of their portection plan. And when I refused and they sent me the same model DVR I had, it worked fine.

At best its unfair, and possibly fraud. I dont care if they have the finest equipment in the world, I wont be treated that way by any company!

I guess I did not make my point clear. I am not debating the quality of Dish's equipment, in fact I stated my DVR worked well for five years.

The point is they screwed up the DVR by upgrading their software, and tried to force me to pay them $50 and sign a new contract over a situation they caused. And when I had been paying $5 a month for 5 years of their portection plan. And when I refused and they sent me the same model DVR I had, it worked fine.

At best its unfair, and possibly fraud. I dont care if they have the finest equipment in the world, I wont be treated that way by any company!

It was probably a 501. I got mine in 2002 also. I don't blame you for leaving. I left over something similar. The way DISH does business has always rubbed me the wrong way. So far DTV has been great and wish I had switched a long time ago.

As far as I know Directv is the same if you get new gear you sign a new contract.

Yep search the web. You will find all kinds of things about Direct send customer replacement receivers and putting the customer into a new contract, and the customer does not even know it.

They still do it. Customers get setup for an upgrade to replace a defective receiver instead of a service call, with out knowing that they will be in a new 2 year contract. Whenever I get one of these workorders, I make the customer aware. Most of the time they just thought I was comming out for free to replace their bad receiver. It really pisses people off when they find that out.

Well normally I would love to read another Dish Network bashing thread, BUT its obvious you had not spent any time with the VIP HD DVRs.
Sorry But still the best in the HD DVR business.

If and When I get the HR24, then maybe I'll change my tune about the equipment, But from Years of history with the HR's they still have the same issue as they did day one.

Don't get me started on the VIP 612. It's not a very good receiver. The 722 was nice though.

As far as I know Directv is the same if you get new gear you sign a new contract.

Not if it is defective. An upgrade for any reason, like sd to hd, or receiver to dvr, will get a new commitment.

I dont have a problem with signing a new contract if I choose to upgrade my equipment. But I was happey with my DVR. It started acting up and they tried to force me to upgrade. They apparently lied about the software update, because the reciever they sent was the same as the one I had and it worked fine. They owe the customer a DVR that works...if they change soething so it doesnt work, they should upgrade you for free. Thats only right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)