Dual Layer Blue Ray

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
Read somewhere that dual layer Blue Ray media is being developed!

I believe unless there is backwards compatability, Blue Ray will have a problem.
Jeff

Of course it's backward compatible. And they are talking about 3 and 4 layer disks as well, all backward compatible.

hmmmm

navychop said:
Of course it's backward compatible. And they are talking about 3 and 4 layer disks as well, all backward compatible.

Thanks for the correction:

I must have got hold of some bad info...anyway, I am still going to wait a long time to buy (and I am usually an early adopter). I think the rental company's will assist in a shakeout, unless someone comes out with a dual player!

I am NOT giving up my $1000 Pioneer Elite player period! With the upconversion on my Plasma TV, even 480P looks fabulous so I can still wait.
I was in the betamax fiasco and will never do that again....

The mere thought of a copy protection flag that down converts the signal if you do not connect thru HDMI is absurd, especially since someone will "beat" it anyway....ala macrovision! My setup is HDMI and I am aware that standard is changing shortly! With over 7000 invested in my HT setup this year....they can shove it!

Jeff

Yeah, I know how you feel. And I also hope that the new HDMI won't "obsolete" my current HDTV.

The BD computer burner coming out is supposed to start out as a dual layer unit. We'll see what form the first few players take.

I expect by the holiday season things may be a bit clearer on the HD/BD front. Maybe one will fall on their sword.

I have 2

navychop said:
Yeah, I know how you feel. And I also hope that the new HDMI won't "obsolete" my current HDTV.

The BD computer burner coming out is supposed to start out as a dual layer unit. We'll see what form the first few players take.

I expect by the holiday season things may be a bit clearer on the HD/BD front. Maybe one will fall on their sword.

And I have 2 2005 Hd TV's with HDMI + my Pioneer Elite has an HDMI pass thru.

It was dumb to create hdmi with 2 channels of audio, since most of us use 5.1 sound with HDMI (I use Coax and a little bit of Optical connectionsfor Audio anyway and do not care about the extra cable. The new toslink connector seems to solve the old jitter issue!

I guess monster will have a great time selling more over priced cabels...Not to me though. I bought a reasonably High quality HDMI cable on Ebay for $12...no difference I can tell between that and a $140 monster except for the packaging and fancy wraping on the monster:D

I don't have HDMI on my TV, so unless they will do full HD output with no restrictions and allow me to transfer my movies between my home devices or my wife's iPod or my PSP, I'll boycott this whole new generation - it won't last too long anyway, see the cover story of current EETimes about Optware and its holographic storage technology including my favourite, the HVD.

The movie companys

T2k said:
I don't have HDMI on my TV, so unless they will do full HD output with no restrictions and allow me to transfer my movies between my home devices or my wife's iPod or my PSP, I'll boycott this whole new generation - it won't last too long anyway, see the cover story of current EETimes about Optware and its holographic storage technology including my favourite, the HVD.

I believe the Movie companies will make the decision whether or not to put on the protection down converting flag.:mad: It is almost a gimme IMHO, since they never learned their lesson from the macrovision and subsequent iterations of protection, by Sony, continue to be broken! (see Slysoft.com) and others! I also believe such schemes deprive you of your rights under the Fair use act, which allows backups of owned products. (my dog loves to chew on CDs and DVD's)! Kids can also be destructive!

From time to time, I would like to be able to "rip" the music from a purchased concert DVD to play on my Ipod too! Not too hard with the right tools, as my friends have shown me!

I understand the company's have rights, but so do WE!!! Thanks Congress....for once!
Jeff

Like you, I will probably wind up not buying the new format player, unless these companies come to their senses (doubtful)
Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)