Status
Please reply by conversation.

earlief

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
texas
Hi Guys,

I was reading about the dual ortho mode setup, I have an Eagle Aspen 4X4, is that just as easy to modify for the18 volt output or should i get a zinwell. Are there any switches that ship with 18 volts on all ports.

Thanks

two days & no reply

Okay, I'll take a stab at it:

I was reading about the dual ortho mode setup, I have an Eagle Aspen 4X4, is that just as easy to modify for the 18 volt output
No, because we don't have it documented ;)
If you're handy with tools and electronics, it -might- be...
... or should i get a zinwell.
Kinda depends on the switch and your skills.
Are there any switches that ship with 18 volts on all ports.
I think I've seen one, but not cheap, readily available, nor mainstream.

Linuxman and more recently Pendragon have posted good detailed instruction on modifying a few common switches.
Someone else modified a different switch, but was only able to get the 18 v on -one- of the Vertical inputs.
(which as it turned out, was fine for his needs) - :)

Crack it open, get out your voltmeter, take some pictures, and maybe you can be the one to document an easy fix for this switch! - :cool:

I'm not sure if I understand completely what your trying to hookup so my comments maybe wrong. But I have a Chaparral Dual C-band feedhorn setup and getting programming for two of may 920's using the same dish. Both are hooked up now to a Zinwell WB68 switch. One LNB cable is connected to the 13V and other to the 18V and the receivers needed the LNB type selected as a LNBF in the settings to get all channels on X4.Was using a JVI 35-DTV34 Mini but it only can handle 2 receivers and I need at least three connected. You may have to swap the cables from the receiver from RX1 and RX2 to get it to work correctly. Hope the is the answer your looking for.

...I have a Chaparral Dual C-band feedhorn setup and getting programming for two of may 920's using the same dish.
Both are hooked up now to a Zinwell WB68 switch.
One LNB cable is connected to the 13V and other to the 18V ... and the receivers needed the LNB type selected as a LNBF in the settings to get all channels on X4.
Yep, absolutely right.
Works for a Chaparral C-band-only orthomode feed, or a two-output LNBF like a GeoSatPro C2 or WSI DMX242.
Problem is, the C-band LNBs that bolt onto a feedhorn may not work properly at 13 volts.
(the end-user ones may work okay, and the commercial ones may not; I don't have enough data to be sure)

They all work best at 18 volts, and some are spec'd for a bit more.
The switch mod makes it put out 18 volts on both the 18v and 13v INputs , so both LNBs get proper power.

edit:
Pendragon discusses the problem and solution in these two threads:
Naughty Mods II: 4x8 Switch with All 18V outputs

Naughty Mods III: 6x8 Switch with Power Insertion

100_0480.jpgThis the Eagle Aspen, I tried soldering the 560 ohm resistor on each one of the regulators at different times, i still got 18 v and 13v on the ports. Any one know what I should to get the 18v on the other ports. Thank you

some ideas

Does the Eagle Aspen even use the same type of regulators that are in the other switches?
If not, the resistor mod might have no effect.

Any chance you could post the info from each regulator?
Whatever is printed on 'em is fine.
And/or, probe the pins of each and give us voltage readings.

What about a sharp photo of the board so we can read the part numbers?
I know that's very difficult.
Try setting the camera to macro-focus if it has that ability, or move the camera away in small increments and shoot again.

Search the forum for the mod Linuxman did on a multi-switch.
I think his had a 13v and an 18v regulator, so he cut a trace and ran a wire (?)

Oh, and also...
I'm talking about switches (the WNC) with an external 24v power supply.
Does your Eagle Aspen take external power?
The picture shows 4-input and 8-output connectors, but is cut off and doesn't show an extra connector for power.

yes the LM317t, with an external 24vdc power supply, I will search for that mod, I will order a zinwell switch so if I screw this one up no big deal it a learning process. i appreciate the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)