Dual Tuner DVR Recording - Why is Switching Between TV1/2 Not Advised?

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
I just had DISH installed this past weekend and I'm a first-time DVR user. I thought I had the DVR-522, but after reading through these forums I may have the 625. I'm not at home right this minute and cannot check. However, here is my setup...I have my receiver set to Dual Mode w/ Record Plus disabled. Both TV1 and TV2 are viewed independently an equal amount of time each day, and this seemed to be the recommended setting. Also, DISH documentation states the following:

Do not change the preference back and forth between TV1 and TV2. This may cause recording conflicts or loss of recordings.

Is this INDEED a problem, i.e. switching back and forth? If so, can you explain further? If this is (or could be) a legitimate problem? If not, it would be nice if there was an option to select TV1 or TV2 each time a DVR timer is created.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Eric

There is no need to switch between tuner 1 and tuner 2. Let the box handle it automatically.

Do not change the preference back and forth between TV1 and TV2. This may cause recording conflicts or loss of recordings.

Is this INDEED a problem, i.e. switching back and forth? If so, can you explain further? If this is (or could be) a legitimate problem? If not, it would be nice if there was an option to select TV1 or TV2 each time a DVR timer is created.

If you enable Record Plus, the TV of your choice will handle all the recordings. I have swithched back and forth many times on both a 625 and 622 and have never had any problems.

I don't think it will HURT anything to switch back and forth, it just might confuse the receiver. For instance...if you have Record Plus enabled with TV2 as your preference and you create a timer for sometime next week, then two days later change your preference to TV1, this MAY cause a problem when it comes time to record. I don't know this as a fact, but I can't think of any other reason.

I have my 622 set in dual mode, and I have Record Plus Enabled (not disabled) with TV2 as preference.

As navychop and Scott6760 said...
Changing back and forth shouldn't physically hurt the machine, and it handles it automatically with no problems. However, I could see where some future programs could be changed to SKIPPED, depending on Priorities, Start Time, and Stop Time of earlier selections and new selections; particularly if a show was set to record on TV2 and it got changed to TV1, and then you decided to record another show on TV1 without realizing that you were superdeding it.

To be on the safe side, just check your schedule after you make changes.

NOTE:
Last week I noticed that the Schedule List does not always display the changes unless you back out of it and then go back into the Schedule for a refreshed listing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts