Dumb 811 question

Martimus

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I've been away from this site for quite a while so please forgive me if this is the 1000th time this question has been posted!!

A friend just gave me a free Dish 811 receiver. :cool: I swapped this receiver for my existing ancient 4900 receiver a couple of weeks ago. This is a second receiver on my account. The primary is a 721. Yes I do have a couple of archaic receivers but, thankfully, they both work! :D

Earlier today I got the crazy idea to call Dish Network to see if I could add BASIC HD programming to my account. The rep told me that the 811 is not compatible with Dish Network's current HD programming. WTF? :eek: To be sure I connected to Dish Live Chat and asked the question again... same response!

Is there any way around this? Or am I going to have to replace the 811 with a newer HD receiver? Thanks in advance for your responses! :up

The 811 is a MPEG2 HD receiver and all the new channels are MPEG4

There was (is?) a HD pack that is for the 811/921/942 but you had to be grandfathered on it. It was like 10 bucks for 5 channels (edit: it was ESPNHD, TNTHD, HDNET, HDMovies, HD theatre in that pack)

reason you cant get the new HD is the box isnt compatible with the new channels

I use a 811 mainly for OTA digital channels...works awesome :)

Ahh... well that explains it! Guess its a good thing that the 811 was a freebee! ;)

Guess I'll just have to start shopping for a new 211 or something similar.... :D

Ahh... well that explains it! Guess its a good thing that the 811 was a freebee! ;)

Guess I'll just have to start shopping for a new 211 or something similar.... :D

A 211 is a much better receiver than an 811.

If you do get a 211 and subscribe to the current complete HD package, you may be able to add the 811 and get the MPEG 2 channels, for at least a little longer.

As Iceberg says it works as an OTA tuner if connected (not activated) to a satellite. I found it didn't handle multipath very well, but in a good location, is a solid OTA tuner.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)