Dumb Genie question...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nitram10

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
United States
I got the Genie installed today with four clients. Question is if the genie has five tuners, why can I only watch four live shows at once? Why couldnt I use the genie plus the four clients which would equal five? Thanks.

I got the Genie installed today with four clients. Question is if the genie has five tuners, why can I only watch four live shows at once? Why couldnt I use the genie plus the four clients which would equal five? Thanks.
Because the Genie can only stream three programs at the same time. That's why most people limit the number of clients to three, and get a regular receiver or DVR if they need another room.

This is kind of like the older question of why the HR2x can't record three channels at once with an OTA tuner.

The DIRECTV website, documentation and sales materials have always made it abundantly clear that four rooms is the limit.

Speaking of the OTA tuner, the Genie is still limited to using five tuners even if it has seven available (with the addition of an AM21 OTA tuner add-on box).

With the AM21, the Genie does NOT have "seven tuners available". Each OTA tuner in the AM21 relies on the electronics in a regular tuner to operate, essentially it is just an OTA "front-end". So adding an AM21 does not increase the number of tuners the Genie actually has.

Since the AM21 only has 2 tuners, does that mean the OP could only watch 2 OTA programs at once and not be allowed to on the third? What message does it display, if so?

If you try to record a third OTA channel, it tells you you need to cancel one of the existing two....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts