Dumbest Question Ever

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
A few weeks ago, it was recommended to me on here to switch the RF/IR mode on my HR34 to make it more responsive. That did help a little. This question is not really related to that.

I just carried my remote with me into my bedroom accidentally and tried to change the client's channel. Obviously it didn't work. However, it seemed to change the channel of my Genie from the other room. At first, I thought it was just because the rooms are adjacent. (The TVs and receivers are actually less than two feet apart, separated by a wall). I have played with it from all over my apartment and it seems to work from everywhere, even outside and from my neighbor's apartment! Is this a fluke or should I ditch the client and split the HDMI?

A few weeks ago, it was recommended to me on here to switch the RF/IR mode on my HR34 to make it more responsive. That did help a little. This question is not really related to that.

I just carried my remote with me into my bedroom accidentally and tried to change the client's channel. Obviously it didn't work. However, it seemed to change the channel of my Genie from the other room. At first, I thought it was just because the rooms are adjacent. (The TVs and receivers are actually less than two feet apart, separated by a wall). I have played with it from all over my apartment and it seems to work from everywhere, even outside and from my neighbor's apartment! Is this a fluke or should I ditch the client and split the HDMI?

It's in IR mode your saying ?

I must be bouncing off the walls correctly if it's still working.

It's in IR mode your saying ?

I must be bouncing off the walls correctly if it's still working.

No, I just looked. The Genie remote is RF mode. The client is IR. The RF remote will work from anywhere. Since I can change channels from the Genie from anywhere I would ever need to, why do I need the client? I could just as easily split the Genie's HDMI output and use it on both TVs and not have to worry about the slower response and constant "searching for servers" message with the client.

No, I just looked. The Genie remote is RF mode. The client is IR. The RF remote will work from anywhere. Since I can change channels from the Genie from anywhere I would ever need to, why do I need the client? I could just as easily split the Genie's HDMI output and use it on both TVs and not have to worry about the slower response and constant "searching for servers" message with the client.

As others have said in other threads,just exchange the client for another HD DVR(preferably a HR24). The downside to doing that is upfront costs of getting the HD DVR & the extension of your contract from the point of getting & installing the HD DVR. The plus side is that you have another 2 tuners & if either the Genie or the HD DVR goes down,you'll still have tv to watch.

As others have said in other threads,just exchange the client for another HD DVR(preferably a HR24). The downside to doing that is upfront costs of getting the HD DVR & the extension of your contract from the point of getting & installing the HD DVR. The plus side is that you have another 2 tuners & if either the Genie or the HD DVR goes down,you'll still have tv to watch.

This will not allow AM21 channels in the other room.

I guess I am not being clear. I am asking if the RF mode will always work from a different room. If it does, why do I have any second receiver at all? With the HDMI output split, I could save the second TV fee.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I guess I am not being clear. I am asking if the RF mode will always work from a different room. If it does, why do I have any second receiver at all? With the HDMI output split, I could save the second TV fee.

You can only try. I'd recommend that you don't get rid of your client yet until you have both tested it out & are satisfied that you can do that.

Correct. :)

I did the same thing years ago before I got a separate HD DVR for the bedroom.
The Remote in RF worked well 99% of the time from there.

It also depends on the lay out of your home, but you've already checked its ability to work .

At the time I did it, I used Component cables as I could not afford the HDMI cable I needed and theres only 1 HDMI output on the HR 24.

Last edited:

Simply to be able to watch different programming on the two televisions.

Then your reason for not having a second receiver is equally valid!

If you "mirror" the images of the HR34 by sending it to other TV's via splitting HDMI or using Component/composite cables, the AM21 channels should also be there. Every thing the Genie receive's would be mirrored to any other TV set, and the AM21 channels would be part of that.

If you "mirror" the images of the HR34 by sending it to other TV's via splitting HDMI or using Component/composite cables, the AM21 channels should also be there. Every thing the Genie receive's would be mirrored to any other TV set, and the AM21 channels would be part of that.

Yeah, they wouldn't be with a Genie in one room and H(R)xx in another.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts