I hate the new remote

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ely

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Miami, FL
Hey guys, I got my HR34 replaced with an HR44 yesterday since I was having constant issues with the 34 (Freezes, reboots, clients would disconnect etc. etc.) I love the 44 because of how speedy it is, however I totally dislike the new remote and decided to stay with my old remote for now, here's the issues I'm having with it:

1- No "Stop" button, I hate having to hit “Exit”, “Back” or “List” then then scrolling then hitting the red button just to delete the current program once I’m done watching it ( more clicks to accomplish the same thing) very hard when you are in the dark.

2- I was able to hit “Play” before with the old remote to be able to see how much I had left in the current program with the on screen progress bar, now with the new remote if I hit the “Play/Pause” button it just stops the video.

3- I don’t know if I have to reprogram the remote or something, but currently the “Off” button on the top right which I believe is ONLY supposed to turn OFF my television also turns it “ON” annoying.

4- I’m not a very big fun of those Channel and Volume UP/DOWN buttons, they are just weird and look like something from the 90s.

If I’m missing something I would greatly appreciate any input on my issues with the new remote

Last edited:
I was not happy with the loss of the stop button, but since I do not mess with anything while I watch the program, its easy just to hit the back arrow at the end of the show and then delete. I know this doesnt work for everyone if they mess with another menu during playback, but it works OK for me. It's a little ridiculous to remove the stop, unless you make it like a TiVo remote where back arrow ALWAYS takes you to delete.

After about a week using the RC71 I was fine with it, but it did take some getting used to. I don't ever recall using the stop button on the old remote, so I don't miss it.
I'm guessing they surveyed or measured remote use behaviors and found that the majority of people didn't use it, or they wouldn't have eliminated it.

I do not Have a 44, but have played with the new remote and I do Not like it either ...
Buttons missing, doesnt feel right in the hand.
Heres Hoping D* comes out with one like the current White one that will work in RF mode eventually.

I think they wanted to emulate the old TIVO remote, shape wise ....

I am curious how does one go about upgrading from the 34 to 44? Do you pay out of pocket a one time fee for it? Does adding a new receiver automatically tack on another 2-year contract?

It took me a week or so to get used to it, but now, several months in, I actually prefer the new remote feel to the old.

It took me a week or so to get used to it, but now, several months in, I actually prefer the new remote feel to the old.

The new ones are more comfortable, but I like the layout of the old ones better. I got a 44 when I signed up for DirecTV last August and not too much later bought a couple Universal RF Remotes.

I put the RC71 in our bedroom, since we have a Logitech Harmony 650 for our Living Room. I like having the RC71 in the bedroom, due to it is easier to use when laying in bed watching tv.

The new ones are more comfortable, but I like the layout of the old ones better. I got a 44 when I signed up for DirecTV last August and not too much later bought a couple Universal RF Remotes.

I like the new remote, but sadly it won't control my home theater well. No way to have it turn the AVR on and off.

Well, not quite, I could set up HDMI-CEC to work on it, but then it makes it a bigger PITA when I want to change source from/to the HR44. So I use my Harmony 1.

Nor am I. What exactly can you not do with the new one that you could with the old?

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts