Dumped cable today...YEA!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bownze,

I read your post and all the responses.

I understand your decision to dump the high rate cable subscription and I agree with it. You also say that you understand and are familiar with the channels that are available via FTA satellite. I believe that you have done your homework on this so far.

However, I am also in agreement with the responses here, based upon your desires to have a non-complicated "set-it up and forget it" system. That's not going to happen exactly the way you think it will.

You can probably come pretty darned close to this goal, but there will be quite a bit of DIY and hands-on tweaking in your future. If you are savvy with electronics and computer use, you won't find this to be too too far out of your comfort zone.

I think many of those who responded previously wish that you had spent more time asking questions here and discussing your situation before you announced your decisions and actions (after the fact). The reason being is that those of us who are regulars in FTA feel that we may be wasting our time as you might decide (after you get into this) that it is not your cup of tea and back out. Many do. I try to be totally up front with all information and clarify the whole game to any one who is new and interested. Everyone here is pretty much the same way. We don't want you to dive in deep only to come up gasping for air and wondering what the hell you jumped into this for in the first place.

If you are ready to tackle FTA Satellite TV, we are here to guide you. But, I think that we should start you out with an inexpensive and user friendly system to just get your feet wet. Let's not have you diving off the high board right from the start.

I recommend a Coolsat 5000 receiver (not new, used off Ebay). You cannot buy a new one as they are out of production, discontinued. But you can get one cheap. Buy one from a reputable seller on Ebay, for $20-$50. Buy a Winegard 76 cm dish (DS-2176) and a cheap Ku band standard LNBF and an SG-2100 motor. This system is ONLY a recommendation. It's old equipment, but it is good and it is a good training set and it is inexpensive. This recommendation is only a starter package and you don't have to follow my advice here. I am just throwing the information your way for something for you to ponder and research. I am thinking about the dirt cheap items that you can test, be happy with, and not get you too far into the hobby money wise - to the point where you don't feel your stuck in it.

I think you can get all of the equipment I listed for approximately $250 total, including the cabling and connectors. I am not so sure on the pricing, just guessing. This just gives you a place to start with equipment that I know is good.

You can move up later if you think you like it (FTA SAT).

You can also visit all of the sponsors displayed at the top of every page in the forum and see what they have for sales and recommendations. Most all of the sponsors are also members here on this site, so you can post questions here and they will usually answer you shortly.

I also must urge you to check out the free OTA channels available via terrestrial transmissions. Depending upon where you live, there may be a lot of excellent channels available to you. I would even suggest Netflix for streaming videos and for DVD leases. You can put all of these together and have a very cheap TV experience that rivals DN or DirectTV (maybe) but certainly surpasses your previous cable company.

You can spend some time researching all I have told you so far and evaluating it for yourself, I urge you to do so, I hope that it all becomes fitting for you. I am always here if you want to query me, except in the summer. I go fishing then.

RADAR

...I think you can get all of the equipment I listed for approximately $250 total, including the cabling and connectors...
$265 total plus tax total investment. I followed your exact described path last year and bought all new items locally including a 1-meter dish, new cabling, motor, LNB so there was no shipping. Only the Openbox S9 was used for $50. I agree this is the best path. Combined with OTA and Netflix, I have an interesting modern useful system. The problem?? I want more! The addiction spreads until you want C-band, a newer more capable receiver (GeosatPro microHD), more dishes to fix on specific satellites, etc. Pay TV may seem cheap in comparison in the long run.

The problem?? I want more! The addiction spreads until you want C-band, a newer more capable receiver

Addiction, what I said! Also, you are building your own little cable company which means "you" are the guy to call if something goes wrong and also the one who pays for it!

But for the most part I have spent no money since buying my current receiver and LNBF, except for a USB hard drive to record on.

Installing a FTA system is not as bad as we all make it sound, but it is a learning experience. Whoever got that S9 for $50 got a steal.

Someone said craigslist. YES, look, even post a wanted ad for a big dish. Keep on it...Go for a ride and look for one and ask if you can have it. Many of us got our best dishes this way. I got two 7.5 dishes (exactly alike) this way complete with motor and all.

...Installing a FTA system is not as bad as we all make it sound, but it is a learning experience. Whoever got that S9 for $50 got a steal.

Someone said craigslist. YES, look, even post a wanted ad for a big dish. Keep on it...Go for a ride and look for one and ask if you can have it. Many of us got our best dishes this way. I got two 7.5 dishes (exactly alike) this way complete with motor and all.
I got the S9 locally for $50. There is no demand in this area for FTA. You can barely give FTA receivers away. I bought Coolsat 7000 locally for $40. I keep a permanent ad on kijiji looking for a big dish. In a past life, I got one 10-foot mesh dish for free (only the effort to remove), and another entire BUD system including 10-foot dish, receiver, etc. for $100. Now I'm on the lookout for a big dish everywhere I drive for this location. You can make FTA fit almost any budget you have.

I have invested around $300 in my system which includes a 10' dish, motor and Openbox s9 receiver. C-band is essential for what you want. I suppose at the moment 103W has the most to offer with the various ion channels, PBS including world and create, rfd with their soon coming rural tv channel, PixL (hallmark type movies), THIS tv and MeTV. These are, in my opinion, all quality channels. The addition of a motor will get you a couple of good hunting/fishing channels, a weather channel, major networks (complete with spanish commercials ;), and some minimal sports. Maintenance does involve a little dish tweaking after major storms and, if this year is any indication, some satellite changes at the start of the year. If you choose to add the hobby interest to it you can find some additional channels on occasion - sometimes they stay in the clear (itc) for a while sometimes not and sports and news feeds.

My system is pretty simple. I have a logitech revue (google tv) which controls my s9, my tv and my surround system. It has picture in picture so I can pull up google chrome behind the pip satellite picture and then easily pull up titan tv on chrome so I have a tv guide and can see what is on. I have titan tv set up to correspond to my fav list on my s9.

If you really need set it and forget it, then I agree with the others that FTA is not for you. But I find that my system requires little maintenance, the tv picture is amazing and I have a good tv guide as well - though not the same of course as your cable guide was I am sure. In addition I have PlayOn (lifetime license currently $50) on my home computer which brings netflix, amazon vod, hulu and espn3 to my google tv. And with Plex for Google TV (free) I have access to my movie collection also on my home computer. To be honest it is SWEET! This took some time to set up and with the addition of the revue (currently $99) and a home computer (which I had anyway) I guess I have $900 altogether wrapped up in the system.

Personally I would wait for the new receiver from SatAV and I would wait to see the price point that Vizio introduces their google tv at. But the combination of google tv, FTA and home computer is unbelievable and provides me with more entertainment that you can imagine.

If you have regrets, there is a package which is a well-kept secret, called the Welcome Pack (DN). It is $9.99 per month. With tax, I'm paying $10.50. There are about thirty channels. You only get one receiver with the deal. No locals, unless you pay $4.99 more per month. That's a lot less than $1,000 per year! DN even installed it at my house for free.

If you have regrets, there is a package which is a well-kept secret, called the Welcome Pack (DN). It is $9.99 per month. With tax, I'm paying $10.50. There are about thirty channels. You only get one receiver with the deal. No locals, unless you pay $4.99 more per month. That's a lot less than $1,000 per year! DN even installed it at my house for free.

you must be on the old grandfathered plan because WP is now 14.99 including locals (have to take them as of a year ago) and its really not a secret. Its on the Dish site now ;)
Easiest to just buy the equipment and activate yourself...then no contract

As others have mentioned, $250 is spot on. I put my system together about 2 years ago for that price. Receiver is a nice Sonicview 360 Elite from Ebay with recording and time shifting capability (the scout leaders and Ned Flanders around here hate them but it's a great box). The 39" dish, SG2100 and LNB was a package deal off Ebay and all brand new for about $130 shipped.

If you install it right the first time which means plenty of concrete and a heavy pipe, your only tweaking will be blind scanning from the comfort of your couch. If things get slightly out of alignment, the SV360 even allows you to bump east and west in tiny increments and save the position.

Someone mentioned that this hobby costs about the same as subscriptions...uhh no it doesn't. I was paying Directv about $70 a month, I paid $250 for my FTA setup and haven't put a dime into it since then. An inexpensive motor keeps you from having to create a "farm" and as an added bonus doesn't lower property values.

Imo FTA is a supplement to a good OTA system. I have about $350 into my OTA, but it also feeds 6 TVs. With its motor rotator I get channels from 3 major cities. Other than scanning for new channels every so often, no tweaking is needed.

Lastly is a Roku box and one pay service such as Netflix for $8 a month. Also most people don't realize there are channel codes outside of Roku's own that you can enter for endless amounts of free entertainment. Right now I'm watching a live stream from a major network several thousand miles away.

You can get a lot of entertainment for next to nothing these days.

Interesting that the Op hasn't signed in since he made his post in this thread. I thought at first maybe he was bashful after seeing all the replies. So I looked and he wrote his post and logged out. He will have plenty of reading to do when he logs back in.

...Someone mentioned that this hobby costs about the same as subscriptions...uhh no it doesn't.
I suspect the point being made was that FTA CAN cost as much as subscription TV, not does cost. You can spend little or a lot on FTA. More importantly, the two types of TV are not directly comparable since the content of each is quite different, even if you have C-band.

...Imo FTA is a supplement to a good OTA system...Lastly is a Roku box and one pay service such as Netflix for $8 a month. Also most people don't realize there are channel codes outside of Roku's own that you can enter for endless amounts of free entertainment. Right now I'm watching a live stream from a major network several thousand miles away...You can get a lot of entertainment for next to nothing these days.
This is good and bad. Due to this, FTA will never be as big here as in Europe or some of Asia. There are too many other low-cost choices for video entertainment, and it's getting worse (better?) everyday. This is particularly true if you are within TV signal distance of one or two larger cities.

This is good and bad. Due to this, FTA will never be as big here as in Europe or some of Asia. There are too many other low-cost choices for video entertainment, and it's getting worse (better?) everyday.

Myself, I think it all comes to how big government / FCC is handling this and their regulations as they don't want to lose their little empires or lose the favor of some big companies. Just look at the US and Canada and their restrictions on getting satellite service from each other.

Myself, I think it all comes to how big government / FCC is handling this and their regulations as they don't want to lose their little empires or lose the favor of some big companies. Just look at the US and Canada and their restrictions on getting satellite service from each other.
Don't make me think about that! This is Sunday and I'd like to enjoy the nice day even if it is 17 degs F. The power that Shaw Direct and Bell in concert with the CRTC have over the rights of citizens in Canada to control the public's access to satellite information and entertainment of their choice is frustrating. Fortunately, with the options coming available through various technologies (Netflix is just the most well-known), this virtual monopoly held by these two companies will crash down sooner than later. If the business plans of these companies doesn't change (basically to take maximum money is the least amount of time), they will go the way of the music companies that still try to sell little plastic discs containing product when others just pipe the music down the Internet.

ke4est
Interesting that the Op hasn't signed in since he made his post in this thread. I thought at first maybe he was bashful after seeing all the replies. So I looked and he wrote his post and logged out. He will have plenty of reading to do when he logs back in.

WOW!!! Thats more like it! Some real info from real users! I was starting to have doubts after the first 2 replies (no offense). Firstly, it was and still is a liberating feeling to tell the cable co. to shove their overpriced TV. Hopefully I will still feel the same way when they disconnect it on Monday :) Second, THANK YOU ALL for the wealth of information. You have totally answered my biggest questions about FTA TV. I assumed sine I wasn't going to pay the CC $450 this year I could use that dough to invest in alternate options. Nice to know a "beginner" fta setup will likely cost less than that. Agreed, I don't want to break the bank on something that didn't turn out to be what I was after, but this is an option that I think I am willing to give a try. And if it isn't for me, as was said earlier, flip it on eBay. I'm very curious about what is still coming through the cable after it is disconnected. Someone said if I have internet coming through the cable and a digital HD monitor, which I have both, there may still be some stuff there on the upper channels. And QVA (I think that was it?) and Roku are not options I was aware of either. My son has an XBOX and we have streamed movies over that on the free trial, but neither of us are big movie watchers. I bought Avatar 2 years ago right after Christmas and we have yet to watch it. So I'm going to go re-read this thread and take notes this time, and go scan eBay t see what can be had there. Luckily, I have an in on half a dozen to 10 old sat dishes (the small ones) ripe for the picking. Again, thank you all for all the valuable information. I will be back!

This set up sounds like exactly what I had in mind. I don't mind doing the work involved to do something right, and if done right the first time everything that needs "tweaked" can be tweaked from a remote control. So I am not dreaming? Seems like half the responders to my post are trying to steer meaway from this. I definitely took notes on your system. Do you remember the eBay store you bought from? Any hassles with the transaction? Thank you!

To the OP.
I am just getting started with FTA and I do not have any equipment yet.
Searching, reading, learning and asking questions is a must with this FTA.
You have done the first step to come here to this site to ask a question.
Folks here are very knowledgeable and will try to give you the best help and answers and avoiding for us the new-comers to make mistakes, that could cost us money...fustration and money.

I also agree with other replies.
I should be able to get started with about $ 150 or less.
I am getting 2 receivers for nothing from my friend.
I still will have to buy a dish (39'' at my option) and LNBF, about $120 including shipping.
Add to it a little more cable and hardware.

Since dishnetwork was my last provider, all i have to do is to replace the dish with a bigger one and I may have to re-arrange some of my cable/switches.

OTA ( over the air /regular antenna) is a very good source, but getting premium channels may not happen as well with FTA.

I dumped cable more than 2 years ago and recently dishnetwork because of lack of work/income.
Here is my set-up.
OTA (over the air- antenna), the bigger the better, outside antenna recommented.
Internet- free hulu ,,,some good movies, but mostly old movies. There are many more sites to get free movies,TV showes and Weather.
Redbox
Local library, free movies.
Soon to come as soon as I save enough money ( I hope ).... FTA

You can upgrade your system from the basic set-up at a later time which can add hundreds of dollars, but it is at your will....not at the will of the cable company or satellite provider.

You talked about a ''maintnance free set-up ".
When I had dishnetwork for the last year I had service with them. I could spit into the air and loose the signal. I called them up to get a tech out here and since I had not a maintnance plan they wanted me to charge $95.
What I learned from the internet, I was able to do it myself and saved this money.
Either you pay indirectly or directly , you still pay for maintnance if you have a cable or a satellite provider.
And they do not have a ''maintnance free '' system either, they do it for you but for an extra cost involved.

FTA may or may not be what you are looking for, depending what you want to whatch or what you are willing to give up to save money. Everyones needs and / or wants are different.
In my case, FTA would be an upgrade from my OTA.
If you click on '' the list'' on the top, it will give you the satellites . Click on a satellite and it will show channels you may get with an KU (smaller) dish or an C ( 6 foot or bigger ) dish.
Luckily, I have an in on half a dozen to 10 old sat dishes (the small ones) ripe for the picking
If you are talking about dishnetwork or direct tv dishes for what I have read, that will not work for FTA

As others have mentioned, $250 is spot on. I put my system together about 2 years ago for that price. Receiver is a nice Sonicview 360 Elite from Ebay with recording and time shifting capability (the scout leaders and Ned Flanders around here hate them but it's a great box). The 39" dish, SG2100 and LNB was a package deal off Ebay and all brand new for about $130 shipped.

If you install it right the first time which means plenty of concrete and a heavy pipe, your only tweaking will be blind scanning from the comfort of your couch. If things get slightly out of alignment, the SV360 even allows you to bump east and west in tiny increments and save the position.

Someone mentioned that this hobby costs about the same as subscriptions...uhh no it doesn't. I was paying Directv about $70 a month, I paid $250 for my FTA setup and haven't put a dime into it since then. An inexpensive motor keeps you from having to create a "farm" and as an added bonus doesn't lower property values.

Imo FTA is a supplement to a good OTA system. I have about $350 into my OTA, but it also feeds 6 TVs. With its motor rotator I get channels from 3 major cities. Other than scanning for new channels every so often, no tweaking is needed.

Lastly is a Roku box and one pay service such as Netflix for $8 a month. Also most people don't realize there are channel codes outside of Roku's own that you can enter for endless amounts of free entertainment. Right now I'm watching a live stream from a major network several thousand miles away.

You can get a lot of entertainment for next to nothing these days.
My last post was intended to reply to this post.

depending on how many tvs you want an easy system for, there are different options.

for ease of use, you may want to look into Dish Network with their welcome pack or family pack for you main viewing, and then setup OTA as a supplement.

This set up sounds like exactly what I had in mind. I don't mind doing the work involved to do something right, and if done right the first time everything that needs "tweaked" can be tweaked from a remote control. So I am not dreaming? Seems like half the responders to my post are trying to steer meaway from this. I definitely took notes on your system. Do you remember the eBay store you bought from? Any hassles with the transaction? Thank you!

I went through my feedback and found the seller:
39" FTA DTV TV SATELLITE DISH + SG2100 MOTOR LNB 33 36 | eBay

That's the setup I bought for $130 with free shipping but it's been two years and unfortunately the price has gone way up. I had no problems with the seller and it arrived from Canada to my house in Indiana in just a few days. The equipment has been great, absolutely no problems.

My Sonicview box has a menu that lets me bump the dish in small increments east or west while monitoring the signal quality level. Now if the dish drops down due to loose hardware or the post gets out of alignment from being hit or the ground heaving, you'll have to go out and fix the problem. A heavy walled pipe (capped at the top to keep water out) and plenty of concrete below the the frost line will keep you from having to worry about those problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts