Bought an SG9120B

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markbone100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
IL
Bought an SG9120B to get one of my Ku dishes motorized. Looks as if I need to run the coax from the S10 to the motor then to the Diseqc switches according to the "manual" for the motor.

Not 100% sure on how to get everything to talk, since I have a 22K switch, 8x1 and a 4x1 switch here. Am I assuming correct to run coax to from the S10 to the motor, then run a second cable from the motor to the switches? Or should I run the motor after the 22K and the 8x1?

Bought an SG9120B to get one of my Ku dishes motorized. Looks as if I need to run the coax from the S10 to the motor then to the Diseqc switches according to the "manual" for the motor.

Not 100% sure on how to get everything to talk, since I have a 22K switch, 8x1 and a 4x1 switch here. Am I assuming correct to run coax to from the S10 to the motor, then run a second cable from the motor to the switches? Or should I run the motor after the 22K and the 8x1?

Mark,

A bit of advise for you. Eliminate your switches while aligning the motorized dish. Cable directly to the dish motor from your receiver and
ignore the other dishes and switches in your system (bypass them all). Once you have the dish aligned and tracking the arc, then you may reinsert the switches and set up the receiver to manage them.

If a switch is required at the motorized dish to operate the LNBF, install it post the motor connection. Hence, the receiver's LNBF (IF) input is directly cabled to motor's output. The motor's input feed is directly connected to the switch output and the switch's input feeds are directly connected to the LNBF outputs.

It is so much simpler to omit the switches while aligning the dish and motor.

RADAR

Thanks for the advice, Ill go about getting it hooked up and then worry about the switching.

Thanks for the advice, Ill go about getting it hooked up and then worry about the switching.

Mark,

You are welcome.

You will find setting up the motor to be a challenge if this is your first time at it. Having the switches out of the equation really helps simplify the task. Also, placing certain switches between the motor and the receiver can overtax the switch or may not pass the motor control voltage properly. If you have other fixed point dishes in your setup (dish farm) that you want to continue to use, it is advised that you place the dish selector switch between the motor and the LNBF on the motorized dish and wire the other dishes to that switch. That is the approved method. I have personally tested installing a DiSEqC 1.2 switch ahead of the motor just to try it. I did not experience any troubles, but it is not the recommended method. I tested this because I already had a fixed dish farm installation in place and it was more convenient to utilize the system as status quo. In this system setup, the cable from the receiver went to an SW21 switch and then to two DiSEqC 4x1 switches, then to the seven fixed point dishes and also the motorized dish.

If you open the FTA forum page, you will notice a FAQ area FTA / MPEG2 FAQ's. Contained within that subforum you will find a post regarding switches http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/134124-switch-setups-simplified.html posted by our very own lucky green lizard Anole (who was here long before the gieco gecko) and a post regarding setting up a FTA motorized dish by me http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/190527-how-set-up-motorized-ku-band.html
You will find all sorts of good stuff there to help you out.

RADAR

Got it this morning and finally had a chance to mess with it later this afternoon. Found out real fast I should of got the 50MM shaft....oops! After spending an hour trying to figure out why it wasnt working, seen that I had the wrong coax plugged into it.

Long story short, had the receiver set to diseqc 1.2 to get the motor to move, wouldnt budge with USALS. Using 1.2, do I have to program a stop in with every Ku satellite? I eventually had to give up since it was dark and I havent got anywhere other then finding out it was going to take longer then expected to get it to track the arc.

Programmed it in, but it didnt move. It was late so I had to quit on it anyway. Ill try again when I have a day to start in the morning (without the wife yelling)

Are you going to shim the shaft to make it work or... What ya thinkin'?

I have a small piece of conduit with some sch40 pvc sleeve inside which makes a perfect fit. before it goes back out im going t to play with the USALS in the house here and get it to work before it goes back outside

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)