Duplex 1 Dish and 2 genie set up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stevo65

Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
The owner of a duplex only wants 1 Satellite dish on premise.
Both customers want DirecTV with the Genie.
Can I do this with 1 Satellite dish using swim switch?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Stevo65!

Four years to make your first post? Let's not get out of control! ;)
It can be done, but IIRC you have to put a voltage blocker between the two units. I think that's what it's called anyways. Hopefully one of the installers will chime in and let you know the right way to do it.

It probably Can be done, but its not the way it should be done due to it being more than 1 address.

I would think that they would run a line off the dish and then to a splitter (depending on how many recvrs involved) then put a Power Supply on each line, 1 for each residence, this way if one is turned off and the Power Supply is removed, it won't effect the other ...

Like I said, its not the way D* would do it, but can probably be done.
Unless they consider it a MDU ... maybe a Mini MDU at that.

Its doable but I don't think Directv installers are permitted to install that way. They'd probably need to get a third party installer to install the dish, and a two way diode steering splitter to each half of the duplex. At least one (probably both just to be safe) should have a band stop filter on their incoming line before they have a splitter distributing to their Genie and clients. Otherwise one guy's clients might connect to the wrong Genie.

With the diode steering splitter then both of them can connect power - if you use a Directv splitter only one of them can provide power and if he disconnects the other guy loses his Directv.

Its doable but I don't think Directv installers are permitted to install that way. They'd probably need to get a third party installer to install the dish, and a two way diode steering splitter to each half of the duplex. At least one (probably both just to be safe) should have a band stop filter on their incoming line before they have a splitter distributing to their Genie and clients. Otherwise one guy's clients might connect to the wrong Genie.

With the diode steering splitter then both of them can connect power - if you use a Directv splitter only one of them can provide power and if he disconnects the other guy loses his Directv.
Band stop filter, that's what I was trying to remember! I knew someone would straighten me out on that. Thanks slice!

One thing you must do is have an agreement betqween the two parties, as to who manages the relationship with DirecTV and who pays for what. Essentially you have to set up your own MDU.

One thing you must do is have an agreement betqween the two parties, as to who manages the relationship with DirecTV and who pays for what. Essentially you have to set up your own MDU.

Why? He just said the owner didn't want two dishes, nothing was said about the units sharing an account. That wouldn't be possible anyway if they both want Genies.

I never suggested they share an account. So what happens when there is a problem with the LNB? Or the dish needs realigning? there are all sorts of reasons why DirecTV does not want this situation. That's why they have MDUs.

I never suggested they share an account. So what happens when there is a problem with the LNB? Or the dish needs realigning? there are all sorts of reasons why DirecTV does not want this situation. That's why they have MDUs.

They'd probably need to go through a third party to have that stuff done, because as you say a regular Directv installer isn't going to want to touch it. Or if he does he won't have a legacy LNB but figure he can make it a simpler install by using a SWM one and bypass the DSWM30.

Whatever the plan is, it needs to be agreed up front, don't wait until a problem happens.

So, if they have 2, say they are 2 dishes next to another on the ground and wire buried ... do they label the dishes ?
I have never seen a dish labeled ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts