DVB DISEQC 1.2 DTB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1ADAM12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
10-6 Gas Pumps
If you enjoy what a Diseqc 1.2 H_H motor does for FTA DVB check out Eagle Aspen Rotr 100. Diseqc 1.2 for your OTA.

What is the availability and cost? It looks good. We have had the technology around for a while glad to see this coming. On my wish list along these lines would be antenna switches similar to what we use to switch satellite dish lnb's along with receivers that can send the commands out. This would allow dedicated antennas for multiple stations OTA!

Source

Sound interesting, do you have a link ?

Check out solidsignal about $70. Found interesting 30db UHF Preamp (<$20) Sunvalley (not at their website) at Buy.com. Caution that the ROTR100 will only drive 80ma. or less preamp. Lots of OTA HDTV.:D for free!

Looks good as long as you don't somehow lose signal running thru it. It would definitely be helpful here

interesting. I've seen the remote controlled ones at Mills Fleet Farm for 60 bucks but ya need the 3 wire cable though ;)

Like most Rotors

Here is the install guide

http://www.eagleaspen.com/admin/download/fujian/file_55.pdf

Unlike a satellite receiver driving an HH motor, ATSC tuners aren't designed to move an antenna so it doesn't look like you can tune to channel 5 and the anntena will move. still a cool device

Same for all rotors not just this one. Rotr100 and Channel Master control box allows store of quick codes 2 button entry of antenna position rather then inputing XXX degrees.

You might be able to do this with a Sony Universal RC. Assign a macro for both the rotor controller and TV or ATSC box. Rotr100 uses Toshiba IR code.

One antenna location may have more then 20 channels.

I've had it running for a week and it's a great product. Controller box does get hot when your searching channels and moving a lot. But I burnt out a regulator on my Twinhan PCI searching the Clarke Belt.

As for insertion loss it would be just like a H-H Motor.

I also find that signals are stronger before 10 am and after 9 pm just like FTA.

I've got a 7' parabolic UHF TV antenna made by Lafayette Radio Electronics.

Attachments

• lafayette_uhf.jpg
    lafayette_uhf.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Use with diplexers?

Just wondering if this antenna rotator will work with a motorized satellite dish over a single RG-6 cable. Seems like the DC signals for the rotor and the H-H motor wouldn't cohabitate nicely.

1Adam12, your post with the antenna picture reminded me of lafayette, haven't thought of them in years! BUT>Their website totally locked up Firefox (64bix in linux) , so anybody else trying it, I warned ya. google shows some video from a guy who says lafayette is going out of business, for all I know they may already be gone. I got their web catalog page to load but it comes up empty. If the Gray-Hoverman antenna doesn't work for me, when I build it, guess I'll find another place that sells those parabolic jobs!

Layfayette prices can't be beat

1Adam12, your post with the antenna picture reminded me of lafayette, haven't thought of them in years! BUT>Their website totally locked up Firefox (64bix in linux) , so anybody else trying it, I warned ya. google shows some video from a guy who says lafayette is going out of business, for all I know they may already be gone. I got their web catalog page to load but it comes up empty. If the Gray-Hoverman antenna doesn't work for me, when I build it, guess I'll find another place that sells those parabolic jobs!

Did you notice the prices on those antennas, a 4 element Bowtie UHF for $4.95:eek:
Guess that page came out of 1962 catalog. They have been out of business for many years. Does anyone remember Olson Electronics?

I found the parabolic by searching older homes in my area. Guy would have paid me to take it off of his roof. Nothing beats a parabolic, one could modify a Sadoun 6' dish. Then we need a H-H motor that scans Clarke belt and horizon:eek: Best of both worlds.;)

Last edited:
Looks good as long as you don't somehow lose signal running thru it. It would definitely be helpful here

I have an Eagle Aspen from solid signal. to get around the signal loss i just ran two rg6 runs. one goes from the tv or rcvr direct to the antenna (or winegard amp in my case) and the other run goes from the controller to the motor and use it standalone.

I have an Eagle Aspen from solid signal. to get around the signal loss i just ran two rg6 runs. one goes from the tv or rcvr direct to the antenna (or winegard amp in my case) and the other run goes from the controller to the motor and use it standalone.

If you have to run a second RG6 cable, is there any advantage over a regular rotor which uses controller wires?

I got email from Eagel Aspen and insertion loss is <1.5db for motor and same for control box.
I have 30 db antenna amp so have gain to burn,it won't overload the receiver either.

MASDA Antenna Amplifier

The sunwalleytek 30db UHF amplifier can be powered from the Rotor100 motor using this modification.

Open the amp. up and put a 220 Ohm resistor in series with the choke that supplies power to the amp. (see pics.) The Rotor100 is designed to shut power off to the antenna if the load cannot support 18V at 50ma. The amp. runs at 12V at 40ma. The resistor drops the 18v and provides the correct 8.5V to the MMIC amp. Cut one leg of the LED to further reduce the current draw in the amp.

On a strong signal strength of 72 on the ATSC box the signal is raised to 85 by the amp. but does not overload the input.
The amp. negates the 3db cable loss and the 3db insertion loss for the Rotor100 as well as its own insertion loss while providing substantial signal gain >20db.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 176
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)