Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Hi folks,

I've been struggling to get my HD HomeRun EXTENDED and a MythTV backend set-up for a several days now. I did things the hard way (I usually do.) I installed a minimal install of Ubuntu then apt-get the necessary add ons to create a MythTV backend. I'm using a ChromeBox modified to run KODI as a front end as well as as a few simple clients.. All is good. But this set-up is not for your average NOOB. I consider myself to be fairly versed in Linux and this project kicked my butt. The (free zap2xml) schedule was probably the worst part. Yeah sure there is a lot of (bad) information on how to get this set-up. That had me going in circles for a while. Now that its set-up properly it is solid as a rock. I have been recording like crazy for the last couple of days. Its amazing how many shows I want to watch are on late at night when I'm sleeping.

For instance, when I was a kid my Dad and I used to watch COMBAT all the time. He was a WWII Veteran and it was difficult to get him to talk about the war. When COMBAT was on it was like a pressure release valve for him. Now COMBAT is being replayed on Heroes & Icons but its on at 11PM. I have to get up at 5AM so I'm normally fast asleep by 11PM. Thanks to my new MythTV set-up I can record COMBAT while I'm sleeping and watch it the following day.

Sorry for the long winded introduction. Now for phase II of this project. I'd like to buy a DVB-S2 USB tuner for FTA on this computer. I'm considering a TBS5922SE USB DVB S2. My situation is that I have 1 fixed C-Band and one fixed Ku-band dish. (No Motors.)

An internal card isn't an option on this computer so I really need to stick with USB. DiSEqC switching between the two dishes is desirable. Any advice is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tom

Combat also comes on in the morning on the weekends. Along with Rat Patrol as a bonus.

I have not used myth TV yet. Try to do some research around the web on what exactly works with that App.
Just remember the 5922SE is not the same as the 5922.
There is also a 5980 that seems to be compatible with more software out there, especially Linux.

Reactions: KE4EST
The TBS5980 is a much much better card and is currently on sale for $55USD which honestly is a crazy steel of a deal.

UDL

Where is it available at that price? At buydvb it's currently $80.

Thanks Lee. I just ordered one. I'm mainly going to use this on 125W kU. I have a MicroHD and hard drive so I can achieve the same thing right now. However the clock drifts badly on my receiver and that makes setting timers challenging. The MythTV back end sets its clock to the internet and is extremely accurate. Besides having all my recorded video in one place is a bonus too. Thanks again for the heads up.

However the clock drifts badly on my receiver and that makes setting timers challenging.

Instead of placing the STB in standby mode between recordings, leave the unit powered up. Clock will remain very close if not cycled into standby, which resets the clock to the nearest :00 minute when coming back into operate mode. Mine will drift about 1 minute per month if not cycled between standby/operate modes.

Combat also comes on in the morning on the weekends. Along with Rat Patrol as a bonus.
Rat Patrol is awesome too. I have it set to record as well. There are days when I wish I had one of those Jeep's to run in rush hour traffic.;) Another good series from that era and also available on H&I is, "Twelve O'Clock High." Its nice to see that these great TV programs are being preserved.

Reactions: fred555
If you click on the service it does show the new price, just not on that page. It's an excellent device though. You won't get a better tuner for the price.

UDL

Reactions: Titanium
Noticed they charge the same for shipping US or Canada. Works out to almost $110 Cdn. Cdn dollar value has really crashed the last few months. Your US dollar prices are getting expensive for us! :|

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts