DVD Recorder

Or you can just get a voucher toward a standalone ATSC tuner, which will be much cheaper than a DVD-recorder with a tuner. ;)
A DVD recorder offers significantly more utility than a D-A converter box.

Have you seen pricing on any of the converters yet?

A DVD recorder offers significantly more utility than a D-A converter box.
True. But to me it makes more sense to keep the DVD recorder in the main TV room connected to all other video sources, than in that "other room" with a standalone set and OTA-only.

Have you seen pricing on any of the converters yet?
The prices will come down before the cut-off day.

So, am I to understand that even if you connect your DVR to the component inputs of the DVD recorder, you will not recording in HD quality?

I guess I am looking for more simplier suggestions - does anyone have a good DVD recorder and are recording shows off their DVR with great success? If so, name and model number would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry - I am really confussed with all of this "digital" vs "analog" discussions.

Yes, I have the 722 HD DVR & 2 Sony DVD recorders. The picture quality is only slightly better recording a HD program from the DVR to the DVD recorder. Digital is just another way to process a signal as is analog. Digital gives a better picture.

I also am waiting to buy a DVD recorder again. I will wait until there is a DVD recorder that records in HD. You can spend under $200 for any brand name DVD recorder now, but I would wait if I were you.

I will wait until there is a DVD recorder that records in HD. You can spend under $200 for any brand name DVD recorder now, but I would wait if I were you.
Toshiba has announced a sub-$1,000 unit for the Japanese market that is supposed to do this. The problem will be how you introduce HD content to the recorder. My guess is that it will be limited to internal tuners or downloads.

Toshiba has announced a sub-$1,000 unit for the Japanese market that is supposed to do this. The problem will be how you introduce HD content to the recorder. My guess is that it will be limited to internal tuners or downloads.

I pd. about $800 for the 1st Sony RDR-GX7 recorder & about $650 for the 2nd unit. Now I see Sony DVD recorders in Best Buy for under $200. Makes me wonder how bad I got ripped off.

I pd. about $800 for the 1st Sony RDR-GX7 recorder & about $650 for the 2nd unit. Now I see Sony DVD recorders in Best Buy for under $200. Makes me wonder how bad I got ripped off.

How many years did you have your recorder before they dropped to under $200?

How many years did you have your recorder before they dropped to under $200?

I believe I bought both recorders around 2003-04. I pd. alot more @ that time as they were high end & not that many people had them.

Digital is just another way to process a signal as is analog. Digital gives a better picture.

So as to confuse the issue even more.. digital does not always give a better picture. It is a matter of opinion as to which (component vs. HDMI) is better. I tend to prefer component but for matters of convenience use HDMI with my 622.

Be better to just get a Blu-Ray Recorder due to DVD Recorders are limited on space and can only do so much in HD. Heck dont think you can get something in TrueHD on DVD. That one of the main reasons we are going through a media format change again DVD has to many limitations on certain things. So basically if you want to truly record things in HD Blu-Ray is the way to go. You can record a HD Channel with a DVD recorder but I dont think its going to be as good as if you use a Blu-Ray recorder.

I bought a Panasonic DME-EZ27. It has NTSC and ATSC tuners in it. It records HDTV programs and plays them back fine (in 16:9). Philips has a recorder w a 160GB drive in it but that's all I know about it. As for digital TV, I read somewhere that last year after a certain date all DVD recorders HAD to have an ATSC tuner in it. Rabbit ears will work after 2/2009 if you use the ATSC tuner portion of the recorder and you can actually receive the signal. MOST stations will be using UHF frequencies. Here in NYC 7,11,and13 will be used by the stations that presently use them on the analog side

MOST stations will be using UHF frequencies. Here in NYC 7,11,and13 will be used by the stations that presently use them on the analog side
"Most" may not be a safe bet. In my market, the stations will be split between high VHF and UHF. Only the two low VHF stations will be changing to UHF.

Now in 2009, I'm finally in the market to get a new HD recorder to transfer my HD recordings from by HD DVR. What is the latest and greatest recommendations?

I'm not sure I want to try a blu-ray recorder just yet, I recorded "Star Wars the Clone Wars" HD TV show for my kids and transfered those shows to a regular DVR-R via my cheap Samsung DVD recorder (DVD-R120) recording on the highest quality (1 hour) and it looks great. If I can find something to get about 3 hours of that quality on a DL DVD, I would be very happy.

Outside of spending an outrageous sum for a more expensive DVD recorder, you're probably not going to improve much on what you have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)