DVD Recorders to use with VOOM?

VOOM & ReplayTV?

Here's my current set-up:
Echostar receiver - Dish
ReplayTV DVR (HS2000 I think)
Samsung HLN567w
Basic Cable (Comcast) - since I have cable modem

I love the DVR, and don't want to lose that. I've been "waiting" for 6 months for the Dish 921, but it's not stable enough. I've yet to experience any HD through my TV, and I really want that.

I realize that my ReplayTV won't record HD shows, but can it still record SD? I've been using my Replay TV as a channel guide for my cable channels AND dish channels. If I ditch Dish, will I still be able to use the ReplayTV as a channel guide for cable and SD from Voom?

Any ideas?

faithntim I have a replay 5040, no voom... but I record downrezzed hd all the time....today I left at 11 returned at 5 and went back to when I left to watch hogans heroes on hdnet :) you will have to use manuel timers( I guess voom has timers)but....

dfergie said:
faithntim I have a replay 5040, no voom... but I record downrezzed hd all the time....today I left at 11 returned at 5 and went back to when I left to watch hogans heroes on hdnet :) you will have to use manuel timers( I guess voom has timers)but....
For survivor and better pq I use my dvd ram recorder but for other use the replay is fine, in fact I am waiting for warrenty to go out to add a big hard drive for more space(+ the fact that with my model and dvarchive I am networked with 2 pc's)

dfergie said:

I'm on an older ReplayTV.

So, the Voom channels WILL NOT show up on the Replay TV guide? Is that correct?

Do I have to change the output from the VOOM receiver every time I want to record?

This whole HD thing integrating with OTA channels, basic cable, SD channels, etc. is all new to me, so I'm trying to figure out how it works. Although, I guess with the $0 down/$9.50 month/no contract -- I'm not out a whole lot of money to try it.

Tim

I can't find my answer searching for "Timers" so here goes:

I see in the User Guide that you can be "Reminded" of a program, does it not change to the channel at that time? If not, this is really lame and I hope they fix it.

Thanks.

the philips/magnvx dvd recorders had component inputs-- those boxes are now available everywhere cheap. I dont know if if takes 480 p or i, but it does have component input. maybe if you send it a 480p signal, it downrezzes to i-- I dont know.

I am currently using SageTV on a dedicated PC for recording. My video card just has simple S-Video / composite inputs, so of course it is only 480i, but the deinterlacing the software does when playing back the software makes it look VERY good. It has great pause live features, and allows playback on any SageTV client (any other PC on the network) Not exactly what you are talking about, but the encoding is all in MPEG2, some of the options are DVD and SVCD compression rates, making it easy to transfer the files to DVD. I know it is not exactly the turn-key solution that a set top DVD recorder is, but it is an alternative.

I have a ReplayTV 4080 and just had Voom installed this week. It works in SD. Here is how.
1) Voom S-Video -> ReplayTV in.
2) Download WIRNS from the AVS ReplayTV forums. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384071&highlight=wirns onto a Windows PC on the same ethenet segment as your Replay 4???, 5???.
3) Get a Zap2It.com account to receive DirectData listings.
4) Pick your listings on Zap2It
5) Configure WIRNS software to proxy data listings for the ReplayTV box.
6) Set the ReplayTV box to use the WIRNS server to get channel information and use General Instruments code 0869 as the IR blaster control.
Then use the ReplayTV remote as usual. I have Comcast cable and Voom working together right now just fine. The Voom channels are significantly better that Comcast in terms of PQ. As soon as the SciFi channel gets here, Comcast is getting the shove off.

I do not have locals setup on this box yet. I only had an hour to work on it before going to work. I believe that can be done with the WIRNS software and SQLite. I have to finish reading the long thread over there to get it working. Since someone posted Voom + locals working, I would say it is in there somewhere.

When you want to archive something to DVD, you use DVArchive to copy the mpgs to your harddrive and go from there. That is also in the AVS forums.

Next Project: Getting IR emitter codes from Wilt so I can get the MythTV box to also control a Voom receiver. Maybe next week. I will fiddle around and try to find it on my own for a week or two before I bother Wilt. I am sure he is busy. MythTV already uses the same Zap2It listings.

Impatient said:
Next Project: Getting IR emitter codes from Wilt so I can get the MythTV box to also control a Voom receiver. Maybe next week. I will fiddle around and try to find it on my own for a week or two before I bother Wilt. I am sure he is busy. MythTV already uses the same Zap2It listings.

What format are the codes in for the MythTV? I control my voom box with a HomeTheaterMaster MX-500 learning remote, and I can download the learnt codes to the computer. Not sure if it is useful for you though.

This thread is getting long so excuse me if this has already been posted:

A slick trick I figured out with my new Panny E85 is to put the Voom Picture Output for 4:3 to Stretch, that way when I record onto the Panny, I get an Anamorphic image and the resulting playback is awesome.

Try it, you'll like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)