DVI-D Cable Question

Trindle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
How long of a run can you do from the 811 to your TV before you get a signal problem . I need to do a 20' run. Don't want to waste the money if it wont work.

I have heard runs over 5M (15 feet) are the max without signal loss.

Anything over 5M (15 feet) require optical DVI-D cables, which are very expensive.

I just ordered my 4M (12 feet) cable and it should be here tomorrow.

I will let you know my findings on.......Thursday probably.

Here is my findings regarding the DVI-D single link cable that I installed last night.

I have the Dish 811 and Toshiba Cinema Series 57HDX82 RPTV.

Up to this point I had it hooked together with Component cables.

Installed the DVI-D cable and guess what, ZERO difference. I won't say worse and definitely not better but zero difference that I could see.

For a test, I had the little lady change what input she wanted by me leaving the room and coming back in and made me guess which input it was.

I was correct about 50% of the time, pretty much my odds!

I will save the cable just in case I need another input cable for a different source and use it on the 811 but for now, the 811 is still hooked up with component.

Save your money, don't buy a DVI-D cable for a RPTV. Maybe a LCD or plasma, but I saw ZERO difference on my RPTV.

Yes, both inputs were calibrated using AVIA.

I have a 30" DVI cable from my Samsung TS160 to Toshiba MT8 front projector. I originally had component hookup, with 20 ft cables, and DID have artifacts on fast moving sequences. I changed to DVI, and signal has been flawless. One comment, however. As my projector is a fixed panel display (DLP), the DVI keeps the signal digital all the way to the projector. On a RPTV (other than DLP or LCD), signal is processed as analog so you will not see a difference between component and DVI, as peid has already mentioned. You should have no problem with either 20 ft component or DVI connection.

Alan

al said:
On a RPTV (other than DLP or LCD), signal is processed as analog so you will not see a difference between component and DVI, as peid has already mentioned.

I didn't see a difference BUT I thought going DVI-D was digital all the way for me too, not just on DLP, Plasma or LCDs.

I know going from the 811 (Digital) to component (Analog) into the TV (Digital ? ? ?) isn't it?

So by me using the DVI-D it would have been Digital all the way too, but still made no difference.

CRT is analog. Digital signal has to convert to analog to see a picture. Fixed panel displays create picture from digital signal.

Alan

peid,

'On CRT displays', The very first circuit your DVI signal hits once it enters the display is the DVI decoder where the outputing signal is Y, Pb, Pr (component). From there it gets treated the same as your other component inputs. This is the same for most of the TV's I've calibrated and seen.