DVI input loosing sync?

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
Has anyone else experienced loosing synch with the DVI input in just the last day??

I'm having to softboot the STB to get it back.

Is this on initial startup or while you are watching? I quite using the Voom DVI because it looks worse than Component.

Explanation: DVI is sharper, thus revealing the many flaws in Vooms picture, Component is a bit softer, hiding many of Vooms picture flaws so I gave up on it.

With my pj, it will not sync sometimes when I power up and I have to hit the reset button on my pj to resync, but I've never lost a sync while watching or flipping between Component and DVI. The only loss of signal I've experienced is the occassional blackout that lasts about 1 second but that happens on all outputs.

Steady "snow" screen

JimP said:
Has anyone else experienced loosing synch with the DVI input in just the last day??
I'm having to softboot the STB to get it back.
I have experienced this a couple of times in 6.10. Once after the 6.10 download. Component output worked fine, but the DVI was showing snow. Turning the power off on the STB didn't help. I had to reboot.
I have also got this last night when switching channels. The steady "snow" screen. This time I decided to turn off my TV set for a second and then turn it on again. It helped. I didn't have to reboot.

No snow, just when I turn it on with the TV on the DVI input, I get a black screen. I do turn the TV on first, so it should be handshaking correctly.

By the way, Ilya, don't you have a 60" GWIII (non XBR). That's what I've got. You still get a picture with your DVI output?

Must be something else.

JimP said:
No snow, just when I turn it on with the TV on the DVI input, I get a black screen. I do turn the TV on first, so it should be handshaking correctly.

By the way, Ilya, don't you have a 60" GWIII (non XBR). That's what I've got. You still get a picture with your DVI output?

Must be something else.
50"GWIII. Other than those two isolated cases of "steady snow" I mentioned above, my DVI works fine.

On two occasions I have turned on my Hitachi TV and had it indicate that the Voom STB was connected via component (wrong!) with a black picture.

Had to reboot the box, then DVI worked fine.

Also, and this is stranger, on two occasions when the Voom STB was already on, but the TV input was set to a different input, when I switched the TV input to the DVI input for Voom, the Voom box rebooted!

So much for Plug N Pray technology, how many of you guys were around when Windows went to Plug N Pray? It works fairly well now, but in the early days, what a PITA!

My favorite memory of Microsoft was when plug and play was being demoed using a USB device, in front of the media and thousands at some convention. It didn't recognize the device. Bet somebody got fired over that one.

JimP said:
My favorite memory of Microsoft was when plug and play was being demoed using a USB device, in front of the media and thousands at some convention. It didn't recognize the device. Bet somebody got fired over that one.
I also remember (may be the same one) where the blue screen of death popped up on Bill Gates at a convention demo. Too funny! :p

I think I've found a solution and wished to share it with others here.

I was able to regain DVI synch by unplugging the Voom receiver for around 10 seconds and reconnecting it.

I may have gotten myself into this situation because I unplugged the DVI connection from the Voom receiver to connect the cable to my HD signal generator to calibrate my TV's DVI input.

All is well now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts