DVIDS on 91W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
I just started playing with a C-band dish I picked up from Craigslist and I'm trying to find a good location for it.

With trees all around, It's a balancing act between 89W to 121W or about 99W to 125W or possibly further.

One of the channels I wanted to receive was DVIDS on 91W, but I'm having trouble on a 7.5ft dish. Some of the other channels on the satellite come in at Q levels of 70%, but I'm just getting a grey bar at 7 or 8% on DVIDS.

Can anyone tell me if this is a weaker channel or perhaps the dish is undersized? If so, I'll give up and shift the dish to see the arc from 99W to beyond 121W. If I should be able to see it, I have some more experimenting to do.

Thanks

I just started playing with a C-band dish I picked up from Craigslist and I'm trying to find a good location for it.

With trees all around, It's a balancing act between 89W to 121W or about 99W to 125W or possibly further.

One of the channels I wanted to receive was DVIDS on 91W, but I'm having trouble on a 7.5ft dish. Some of the other channels on the satellite come in at Q levels of 70%, but I'm just getting a grey bar at 7 or 8% on DVIDS.

Can anyone tell me if this is a weaker channel or perhaps the dish is undersized? If so, I'll give up and shift the dish to see the arc from 99W to beyond 121W. If I should be able to see it, I have some more experimenting to do.

Thanks

I get the three channels on my 7.5 ft mesh here a 3 hr drive South East of you, but at 60% Quality compared to 75% Quality on REELZ. I'm using a MicroHD for the receiver.

I looked you up on google earth, since you posted your Ham call and I suggest the dish should go in the middle of the back lawn... ;>) what an eyesore huh?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks for the reply and your detective work! Unfortunately the back lawn isn't mine. I rent a unit at the rear with a small garden space and a big ass tree.

I've come to the conclusion the tree is causing problems. There are a bunch of low-hanging branches that seem to cut off the weak channels but not the stronger ones.

I noticed it this afternoon when I was watching the ABC network feed and realized the picture broke up each time the wind kicked up the tree. I need one of those pairs of pruning devices on a long stick to clear the line of sight to get rid of some of the branches.

Right now on 91W, I'm getting the CW mux at 35%, NBC at 73%, Arts at 51%, TWC at 51%, CSN mux at 44%, BYU at 20%, Word Network at 71%, Montana at 49% and Reelz at 51%.

Martyn

DVIDS does show some cool uplinks but it is not showing video more than it is. Me personally... I'd shoot for 99, 101, 103 and 105.

===
?Bill

Bill,

Thanks. I have those. I was after DVIDS because it carries the public domain feed of the State Dept. briefing everyday. It's useful for work and I can't get State Dept. TV directly on the west coast.

I found the same feed, although a much lower quality signal, on a transponder on 95W labeled "ch20." I'm not sure who operates that, but it was the feed from State Dept. TV.

Martyn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts