DVR-1100c Ripping AAC Files to MP3?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
In the temporary manual under DVR Operation it says VideoReDo TVSuite will rip AAC files so audio programs can be played on iPod or MP3 player. I have no clue as to what AAC files are and can find nothing in TVSuite that sounds like it will rip audio from a DVR file. I found some excellent bluegrass on a G-25 radio channel called Test 243, but can find no way to get to MP3.

Sorry I can't help with all your questions, but I can offer this.

AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding and is an alternate (supposedly superior) format to mp3. It is the default format used by iTunes when ripping music from your CD collection. The iTunes Music Store offers all music in the AAC format (some is DRM protected at 128 kbps, some is DRM free at 256 kbps).

I have most of my music in AAC format and have been happy with it. I have even purchased a couple of albums from iTunes - which I never thought I would do.

There are some converters available that will transcode from an AAC file to an MP3 file, but this is generally discouraged as converting from one compressed format to another compressed format takes its toll on audio quality.

Check out WikiPedia for more.

Thanks for the response, strange that it's in our manual. I guess it's not really AAC files that I am interested in, but TS files from the DVR. I also posted it on the VideoReDo site to see if anyone there can shed any light on it.

svcdmaker said:
Ed,

My understanding is that AAC files are the wrapper for Itunes copy protected files. I would not have thought that this would be in a video file. This may be a typo in the manual.

If VideoRedo can open the file, then when you go to save, choose type elementary and options for wav. After that you can use your program of choice to convert to mp3 or any other audio format.

There is no current way to take the audio directly to mp3.

Karl
The above from the VideoReDo Forum, looks like our manual may be in error.

The manual should have stated that the audio files can be ripped to be played back with iPods or other Personal Media Players. The AAC statement was a place holder that was mistakenly not edited in final layout. Licensing issues prevent VideoReDo from ripping directly to the AAC or MP3 format.

I have used VideoReDo to split the TS files then ripped the WAV to several different audio types for playback on my various PMPs.

Sorry about the misinformation about the abilities of VideoReDo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)