DVR 510 erases my programming

maddjak

Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Okay any suggestions for this problem? It's driving me nuts.

I program things to record and then every two or three days it erases all of it except for one day. Not the stuff that is recorded. The stuff that is to BE recorded. No one else is around to mess with anything.
I can check my programming to see what has been recorded already and what will be coming up. Then I will switch back to watching television and when I KNOW something should have started I will check the schedule and find that is has been
1 deleted
2 skipped
3 show that it is recording but it is NOT
4 all my programming has disappeared
5 find things on my schedule that weren't there and I would never record.
So several times a week I check this and if things have disappeared, been rearranged or new things added then I switch to TIMERS.
Of course on my timers LIST everything I have selected is there but the schedule itself is gone, rearranged or filled with stuf that is NOT on the list.

So I write down the list, delete the list and reprogram my schedule and it is good for a few days before it goes nuts again.

Occasionally one of my recordings will disappear and it has even recorded an ON_DEMAND movie which dish network says can't be done. And I have never ordered ON-DEMAND.
And then there is the occasional recording that is not what it says it is...

Oh yeah I have the latest software package. I thought the new software downloads were causing the problems so I stopped them for awhile but that made it quit recording things when it was supposed to "wake up" and record.

Last edited:
Neighbor with a remote set to the same code that is messing with you?
I wish it was that simple. My closest neighbor is a half mile away.
But this thing is so bad that I will tell it to "skip" a program or "restore" a program to recordable status and when it finishes it's 'updating schedule' and goes back to the schedule everything will be gone except for TODAY'S schedule and there is no way to restore it.

Have you rebooted the 510? That's always helped my 721 and 508. The 721 I need to reboot (just a warm boot) every couple of weeks to keep it running perfectly.

Dish knows P4.05 has bugs

I've been having timer problems on my 510 since April. Dish has given me several credits and they acknowledge that the P4.05 software they are currently running on our 510s has flaws. A fix is "in the works" but don't hold your breath. If I were you, I'd demand a refund of some of the fees you've been paying for service they aren't providing.

The only timers that work *some of the time* are those set using the manual timer option. Don't try selecting shows off the program guide or using name based recording. Do a hard reboot of the DVR if the manual timers start disappearing. They may or may not show up again. I have resorted to baby-sitting the machine to make sure it starts recording when there's a single broadcast of a show I really don't want to miss.

I will be switching to an HD system son and will probably migrate to DirectTV or cable -- Dish responsiveness to problems and customer service in general is pitiful. See my posts under same ID on the DBSTalk boards.

The reboot seems to have worked and I haven't had any problems since. But then again it has only been two days!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)