DVR 625 making noise on phone line

millerdraft

Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Well, I'm new around here, but I haven't been able to find any information on my irritating little problem. We have a 625 and love it. But the deal is I have to keep it plugged into my phone line in order to save six bucks a month. Unfortunately, when I plug it in it creates a buzz on this end of the line that makes it difficult if not impossible to hear the caller (who cannot hear it!)

I called tech support and they decided that it could be a defective 625 so they sent me another. Same problem. I researched more on the web and decided that I didn't have any grounding block on my dish cable, so I installed that. No help.

I had a 25 foot long flat phone cord connecting the 625 to the nearest phone block and replaced it with cat 5 wire directly to my distribution panel. No help.

I now have resorted to unplugging the 625 in the morning and plugging it back in when I go to bed. Occasionally being reminded in the morning that if I wish to continue saving six bucks a month I need to plug my 625 back in. (I then plug in the unit, go to the diagnostics menu and send whatever data it seems to think it needs to send.) Hopefully, appeasing the data collection guys and keeping my six bucks a month.

Anyway, I cannot find anything wrong with my phone system. The 625 seems to be the culprit, but in response to my note to tech support I was told they doubted that I could have received two 625's with the same problem and that it would appear to be a phone issue.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Thanx

Can you borrow a receiver from a friend just to make sure it's not the receiver. It does sound like something is wrong with your phone system or grounding. Have you tried a different phone outlet? Try disconnecting the satellite feed to the receiver for a moment just for testing, is the sound still there?

Thank you for the slap upside the memory containment device. Actually, I have a 310 downstairs that I never connect to the phone. I can try that. And I have access to another 625.

You also jarred loose another item of interest. With the 625 unplugged, there is no noise. While plugging it back in, I found that just touching the grounding prong to the outlet ground caused the buzz to return. (I think the phone guys call that a ground loop.) I'll do some more research. Thanx

Both my 625 and now 622 made the extension I tied it into buzz MOST of the time, but not all. It must be something in our phone wiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)