DVR Capacity - HD Versus SD

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
I am aware that HD eats away more DVR capacity than SD. That being said I have a couple of questions - and I have a 722k:

(1) If the programs I record are SD but I record from the HD version of the channel, do I still eat up DVR capacity at the HD level? FYI, I record several programs from GSN (Game Show Network). The classic game shows are in SD, but the newer ones are in HD and I record some of both.

(2) If the question to number 1 is yes, can my issue be easily corrected by editing the affected timers by going to "options" and changing recording preference from HD to SD? I have actually already attempted this but when I view my timers via the MY RECORDINGS screen (pressing DVR twice) and the DAILY SCHEDULE screen (pressing DVR three times), I still see "HD" beside the timers' program name.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Eric

If you are recording from an HD channel, even if the program is sd the file would be roughly the same size as an HD program as the recording would still be mpeg4. My opinion would be to active an EHD and record the HD version. I would rather view a program with the better picture quality than worry about how much space is left on the hard drive. Your other option would be to upgrade to the Hopper and make use of the 2T hard drive.

I am aware that HD eats away more DVR capacity than SD. That being said I have a couple of questions - and I have a 722k:

(1) If the programs I record are SD but I record from the HD version of the channel, do I still eat up DVR capacity at the HD level? FYI, I record several programs from GSN (Game Show Network). The classic game shows are in SD, but the newer ones are in HD and I record some of both.

(2) If the question to number 1 is yes, can my issue be easily corrected by editing the affected timers by going to "options" and changing recording preference from HD to SD? I have actually already attempted this but when I view my timers via the MY RECORDINGS screen (pressing DVR twice) and the DAILY SCHEDULE screen (pressing DVR three times), I still see "HD" beside the timers' program name.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Eric

Just record the SD version of that channel. You will also get rid of all the fat people that way! :)

Yeah, my wife watches a lot of GSN, and she is usually using the SD channel as the HD channel displays the 4x3 shows in stretch-o-vision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts