DVR Feature Request

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BBCInc

On the dry and dusty road
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Colorado
I've looked but can't find any sticky thread to put this, so here goes:

As an avid PiP user, I've noticed there are two channel buffers with up to, in the case of my Hopper with Sling, approximately 1 hour worth of buffered content each. I've also noticed that when I play back a DVR recording, one of the buffers is zeroed out and I have to decide which buffer to "sacrifice" before starting playback. The buffer affected is the one currently being viewed.

The new feature I would like to see is a third buffer dedicated (non-PiP) to DVR program playback so that both PiP buffers remain intact, i.e. not zeroed out, after DVR playback ends.

Can we use this thread to put in other DVR feature requests? :)

Would love the ability to be able to split existing recordings.

Can we use this thread to put in other DVR feature requests? :) Would love the ability to be able to split existing recordings.

Wouldn't that be nice. And world peace, too. Sadly, each is as likely as the other.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The timer limit of 96 seems less a problem than the event limit of 576(?) because some timers get out of hand on the number of recurrences.
Sometimes 6 or more on each of the 8 or 9 days and over multiple channels. This means later events may not be shown to choose from.
Of course, it always helps to make the selection as tight as you can.
-Ken

I wish the hopper would do the dishes, wash my clothes, clean the bathroom, and change the oil in my car.

Do you guys remember the feature Dish showed at Team Summit about 3 years ago where they had the keypad remote? They showed a feature where you could flag spots on a recording so you could skip right to them without fast forwarding. I'd like to see that happen. If there was a moment in a movie or sports event that you wanted to be able to go to it would be saved for you.

Why doesn't Dish increase the buffer time to two hours, like DTV?
Largely because managing buffers is an exercise in frustration and uncommon discipline. Much easier to record what you might watch than try to make sure you don't change channels too many times.

I'm not sure I buy an argument that involves watching a DVR event why playing the buffer game.

Do you guys remember the feature Dish showed at Team Summit about 3 years ago where they had the keypad remote? They showed a feature where you could flag spots on a recording so you could skip right to them without fast forwarding. I'd like to see that happen. If there was a moment in a movie or sports event that you wanted to be able to go to it would be saved for you.

Bookmarks. Great idea. Probably be implemented right after the DVR "list" function, the Hopper BT keyboard/pointing device and the 721 USB keyboard. :(

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Have you tried recording instead of trying to buffer? I've been using this method for years since it does not seem like Dish will add such a feature.

That would be a possible substitute, thanks. Would be even better if recording didn't start at the beginning of the buffer or Dish implemented Scherrman's bookmark idea.

...or my split idea. Then you could record the entire buffer and then split out the part you want to keep.

...also, I'm pretty sure there is a way to not start at the beginning of the buffer, but it's less intuitive than the way the ViPs work.