DVR fee?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lcander

Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Illinois
I called today to see about ordering DirecTV to take advantage of the HD for life as well as the other discounts for 24 months. A friend had told us how great it was to have a DVR so I asked about that equipment. The CSR I spoke with said she would waive the $7 monthly fee so I chose the HD DVR and a second receiver for another room.. I asked more than once about that fee being waived for the length of the contract. I also inquired about discounts given for annual payment and was told it would be @ 20%.
When I received my email notification of the order it showed the $7 fee. After registering my account to submit the rebates, my pending order showed 'DirecTV DVR Service--$7' but then further down the page it lists 'DirecTV DVR Service--Free'. So, I'm confused as to whether it is going to be free or not.
When I called about this the reps. I spoke with said they couldn't see the 'free' listing on the order and they thought having a DVR on the account triggered the $7 fee.
Has anyone had a DVR monthly service fee waived? Or did that original CSR feed me a line to get me to sign up?
Also does anyone do annual pay and is that discount amount about right?
Thanks

:welcomeI would just wait for it to get installed & receive a few bills before worrying about it. They usually do it just like it showed up with one line showing the charge & another showing the credit; it just takes a few billing cycles for everything to mesh.

I called today to see about ordering DirecTV to take advantage of the HD for life as well as the other discounts for 24 months. A friend had told us how great it was to have a DVR so I asked about that equipment. The CSR I spoke with said she would waive the $7 monthly fee so I chose the HD DVR and a second receiver for another room.. I asked more than once about that fee being waived for the length of the contract. I also inquired about discounts given for annual payment and was told it would be @ 20%.
When I received my email notification of the order it showed the $7 fee. After registering my account to submit the rebates, my pending order showed 'DirecTV DVR Service--$7' but then further down the page it lists 'DirecTV DVR Service--Free'. So, I'm confused as to whether it is going to be free or not.
When I called about this the reps. I spoke with said they couldn't see the 'free' listing on the order and they thought having a DVR on the account triggered the $7 fee.
Has anyone had a DVR monthly service fee waived? Or did that original CSR feed me a line to get me to sign up?
Also does anyone do annual pay and is that discount amount about right?
Thanks

Welcome to the site

Welcome to the Site !!!

There is always a $ 7 fee for the DRV service.
Nice thing is, with D* you only get charged that fee once, regardless of how many DVRS you may have, DISH charges a DVR fee for EACH revr. as do many cable co's.

It is typical to see the DVR fee on the bill and then in the credits (bottom of bill) have the DVR fee show a - $ 7.00 as well.

It is a discount that normally would be given in 3-6-12 month increments depending on your service, in your case, being new, they are trying to help you out.

Yes there are people that do pay annually as well.

Welcome to the Site !!!

There is always a $ 7 fee for the DRV service.
Nice thing is, with D* you only get charged that fee once, regardless of how many DVRS you may have, DISH charges a DVR fee for EACH revr. as do many cable co's.

It is typical to see the DVR fee on the bill and then in the credits (bottom of bill) have the DVR fee show a - $ 7.00 as well.

It is a discount that normally would be given in 3-6-12 month increments depending on your service, in your case, being new, they are trying to help you out.

Yes there are people that do pay annually as well.

Not anymore. It is $6 per account. It is no longer waived for AEP. That, the increase in equipment fees, are two of the reasons I'm switching. Oh, yeah and MRV :D

S~

Not anymore. It is $6 per account. It is no longer waived for AEP. That, the increase in equipment fees, are two of the reasons I'm switching. Oh, yeah and MRV :D

S~

Actually, it was raised to $7/account this past March, or whenever the last price increase was.

He was talking about DISH... ;) ;)

Yeap. The $14 difference in equipment fees alone between the two services for two DVR's and a standard HD receiver pretty much evens things out. Plus for the difference in package prices, the sports pack is included. The 3D channels are starting to launch, etc. I will miss Epix, though. Hope D* adds it in the future. It is a nice channel. I'm looking forward to MRV. It's way too hot upstairs. The ability to record there and watch downstairs is nice.

S~

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Guess we'll have to see how this plays out. Install is tomorrow. We've had Dish for years, but when they wanted over $250 to 'upgrade' to their HD for Life, I started looking around and found the DTV deal so I thought I'd give it a try. Gonna have to learn all the new channel #'s :)
Was there any hassle about paying annually? Does the 'annual' discount depend on the amount of channels and extras you have?
Thanks again. Have been enjoying reading this board.

Was there any hassle about paying annually? Does the 'annual' discount depend on the amount of channels and extras you have?

I never knew there was ANY discount on D* for paying annually - they REALLY told you guys this??? I'd really like to know if this is for real, because I'd take them up on it.

I never knew there was ANY discount on D* for paying annually - they REALLY told you guys this??? I'd really like to know if this is for real, because I'd take them up on it.

I don't get a discount on the package for paying annually, but I do get a few discounts elsewhere along the way.

But the OP is talking about D*
What is AEP ?
D* has no AEP programming.

I was responding to your comment that E* charges for every receiver. They no longer do and then how America's Everything Pack used to be exempt from that charge. With all of their recent fee increases and other things why I'm switching over.

S~

I was responding to your comment that E* charges for every receiver. They no longer do and then how America's Everything Pack used to be exempt from that charge. With all of their recent fee increases and other things why I'm switching over.

S~

E* doesn't charge for each recvr ?
When did this happen ?

February. Then they raised fees from $7 to $17 for each additional hddvr and started charging the DVR fee to AEP subs. Discontinued the phone line credit. Bill went up $16 bucks per month.

What kept me from switching last year was no one would install with the SWiM and wanted to run two lines (mostly through walls).

S~

Last edited:
February. Then they raised fees from $7 to $17 for each additional hddvr and started charging the DVR fee to AEP subs. Discontinued the phone line credit. Bill went up $16 bucks per month.

What kept me from switching last year was no one would install with the SWiM and wanted to run two lines (mostly through walls).

S~

Ok, so they dropped your DVR fee for each recvr and essentially added $ 10 more per recvr !

Great, how much money is that saving the subs again ?

Last year the SWiM was still very new and not available in all areas, thats probably why you had trouble getting one.

As you see killed me since in 12 years never had a dvr fee. I know you've probably seen Bob's posts and his increase. Installer had them but needed approval and the regional installation people said no. Anyways looking to switch next week whe I have some time off. Really looking forward to MRV.

S~

Some of the Dish guys had bill increases upwards of $40 or so, I think Scott's went up quite a bit for example.

Their HD-DVR's are now $14 or $17 per month depending on if it has the TV-2 output.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts