Status
Please reply by conversation.

spectrumsp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Florida
I guess I've been out in the woods for too long...:eek:

I just called retention about the possibiliety of getting a HR20 to add to my H20 and H10...I was told they were back ordered (as we have seen in numerous other threads) but she offered to add me to the waiting list. We then reviewed my account and she said the only "new charge" would be the "DVR Fee"...I told her I had never heard of that fee and that I was a fairly constant reader of the numerous sat web sites...she didn't back down...

Is this true...are they charging a "DVR Fee' in addition to the other fees, ie, monthly connection, HD, etc...if so, looks like my Tivos are going to continue to get a good workout!

TIA...

Uhhh, they've had a DVR fee for years, including the DirecTivo's. But it's one fee per account no matter how many DVR's you have. The only reason you wouldn't have one now is if you have the grandfathered "lifetime" Tivo subscription from way back in the day. It's also "waived" if you have the top package.

I guess it's possible that you've somehow slipped through the cracks on this fee but I've payed it for over 5 years since I got my first DirecTivo.

You are already paying the DVR fee for your TiVos, you only pay it once even if you have multiple DVRs. You will of course pay the normal "additional receiver" fee.

He didn't mention having a TIVO unit when listing his equipment at the start of the thread.
(the possibiliety of getting a HR20 to add to my H20 and H10...)

then at the end mentions:
(looks like my Tivos are going to continue to get a good workout!)

So, IF you currently have a DVR, you already pay the DVR fee $ 5.99 p/m as mentioned, good for all DVR receivers on the account.

IF you don't already have DVR's on your account, then YES the DVR fee will be applied.

Jimbo

He might have the premier pack, which waives the DVR fee. If you give them $100, they save you $6 :)

Otherwise, it is one per account regardless of how many DVRs you have.

My bad for not being more clear...my Tivo units are non-D*...just good old Series 2.
I'm just going to continue to watch my Tivo'ed shows in SD until the units finally give up the ghost and then consider how to replace them...perhaps by then Tivo will have bought D* or D* will have bought Tivo and this fee will be moot...

In discussing this with a friend yesterday, he said he thought this DVR fee was the royalty fee which D* must pay Tivo as a result of the lawsuit...

Sorry for the initial confusion...

Another interesting point about the DirecTV "wait list" for the HR20s: I have been going back and forth with D* over the fact that they claim to have no idea when they will clear their waitlist. Finally, after being "elevated" by support several times, I was told that they have PLENTY of HR20s to meet the need, but due to current customer complaints they are not releasing them to the public. She said they will not release them until they are convinced the major bugs (according to her this being incomplete recording, non-recording, non-responsiveness) were worked out.

Seems interesting that they would say that after only this week telling Cnet that the majority of their customers are habing a perfect experience with their units.

My bad for not being more clear...my Tivo units are non-D*...just good old Series 2.

Ahhh, you have stand alone Tivo's. That explains it.

perhaps by then Tivo will have bought D* or D* will have bought Tivo and this fee will be moot...

I had to laugh about Tivo buying DirecTV. Tivo is worth about 2 weeks of DirecTV revenue. :eek: DirecTV could buy Tivo easily with it's walk around money but they are going a different direction.
But then Tivo stand alone fees are what, $12 a month, for each unit? DirecTV's DVR fee is $5.99 for all DVRs on the account.

In discussing this with a friend yesterday, he said he thought this DVR fee was the royalty fee which D* must pay Tivo as a result of the lawsuit...

No, that is wrong. There has *always* been a DVR fee. For every Tivo you have DirecTV does pay a royalty fee to Tivo, but not so with their non-Tivo units. Dish network by the way also charges a DVR fee as do most cable companies. It's not really anything you can get away from. You are paying a DVR fee as well, just directly to Tivo.

2 DVR fees?

I currently have 2 HR10-250's and have considered replacing one of them with an HR20. (at least until HR20 is a little more reliable). I pay the monthly TIVO fee now and was wondering if I would have to pay an additional DVR fee to DirecTv for the HR20?

I currently have 2 HR10-250's and have considered replacing one of them with an HR20. (at least until HR20 is a little more reliable). I pay the monthly TIVO fee now and was wondering if I would have to pay an additional DVR fee to DirecTv for the HR20?

No you would not pay anymore DVR fees, as long as you own one, you pay one DVR fee already and that covers ALL the DVR's on your account.
D* changed this a few years back :)

Jimbo

As Jimbo posted, no extra fee.

I have 2 DirecTivo's and one HR20 on my account. One DVR fee.

I was told that they have PLENTY of HR20s to meet the need, but due to current customer complaints they are not releasing them to the public. She said they will not release them until they are convinced the major bugs (according to her this being incomplete recording, non-recording, non-responsiveness) were worked out. Seems interesting that they would say that after only this week telling Cnet that the majority of their customers are habing a perfect experience with their units.

I find this just a little difficult to buy into. And for the record I have had my HR-20 since the end of September and experienced ZERO problems.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How do I switch from sat1 to sat2 on HR20?

dropped chanel tnt...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)