DVR Fees - Will they continue forever?

Dish is a good deal if you want a low end package, and do not mind SD on half your TVs. DIRECTV is better if you want a high end package with lots of dual tuner DVRs with multiroom viewing in your setup.

HD is free with Choice ultimate and Premiere: Comparable costs apples to apples:

Dish:

AEP: $99.99
Sports: $7.00
HD+Plat: $10.00
2nd 622: $17.00
211: $7.00
DVR Fee: $6.00

Total: $146.99

Direct:

Premiere: 114.99
HD+Extra: $4.99
DVR+MRV: $10.00
2nd and 3rd HR24: 10.00

Total: $139.98

S~

This is more of what I was expecting to see price-wise. It's very comparable and I'm sure I'd be very happy with Direct, so long as I got the 24 series receivers. But I'm not going anywhere as of now.

HD is free with Choice ultimate and Premiere: Comparable costs apples to apples:

Dish:

HD+Plat: $10.00
2nd 622: $17.00
211: $7.00
DVR Fee: $6.00

Total: $146.99

Direct:

Premiere: 114.99
HD+Extra: $4.99
DVR+MRV: $10.00
2nd and 3rd HR24: 10.00

Total: $139.98

S~

I was comparing the guy with the 922 and 722k to two Directv dvrs. Not to three receivers. IF you start adding in three and four receivers then depending on whether you have the most expensive dvrs or just the lowest 7.00 receiver , it would probably cost you more for DISH. DISH is cheaper for two room setups than DIRECTV. But once you have more than 3 dvr receivers you would probably come out better with DIRECTV on additional receiver fees.

DISH 2 additional 211ks x 7.00 =14.00
DISH 2 additional duo tuner dvrs x 17.00= 34.00

DIRECTV 2 additional receivers of any kind x 5.00= 10.00

I was comparing the guy with the 922 and 722k to two Directv dvrs. Not to three receivers. IF you start adding in three and four receivers then depending on whether you have the most expensive dvrs or just the lowest 7.00 receiver , it would probably cost you more for DISH. DISH is cheaper for two room setups than DIRECTV. But once you have more than 3 dvr receivers you would probably come out better with DIRECTV on additional receiver fees.

DISH 2 additional 211ks x 7.00 =14.00
DISH 2 additional duo tuner dvrs x 17.00= 34.00

DIRECTV 2 additional receivers of any kind x 5.00= 10.00

Never quoted you. That is my current plan not counting discounts. One of the reasons I left after 12 years. However, there is no Total Choice package anymore and HD is free with the comparable package. 2 receivers dropping the 722 for a 211. Platinum is not free so you needed to add $10. Your Dish total should be $101.99 with the 722 price if you are counting platinum. To your Direct prices, you need to take off the $10 HD fee. Free with these two packages.

Direct:

Choice Ultimate: $68.99
HD: $0.00
DVR: $7.00
MRV: $3.00
2nd HR24: $5.00

Total: $83.99 add HD extra pack ($4.99) = $88.98

Dish:

250: 64.99
DVR: $10.00 (922 fee)
211: $7.00 (+$40 activation)

Total: 81.99 add Plat ($10)= $91.99

S~

Last edited:
With 922 and second 722.

Direct:

Choice Ultimate: $68.99
2nd HR24: $5.00

Total: $83.99 add HD extra pack ($4.99) = $88.98

Dish:

250: 64.99
DVR: $10.00 (922 fee)
722: $17.00

Total: $91.99 add Plat ($10)= $101.99

So D* in this setup $8 cheaper and $13 if you add in Platinum.

The ultimate Packages:

Dish:

DVR: $10.00
722: $17.00

Total: $133.99 add Platinum ($10) = $143.99

Direct:

Premiere: $114.99
2nd HR24: $5

Total: $129.99 add HDExtra Pack ($4.99) = $134.98

So D* is $4 cheaper and $9 cheaper with the HD PLatinum/extra.

S~

Well, as I stated in other threads, Insight Cable charged me $15.00/month for their POC DVR. Their PQ came no where near what Dish PQ is on both HD & SD, and I got a lot less HD channels then I get with Dish's 200 pk.
Now if FIOS ever comes to Louisville, then I might take a look at that, but until then I plan to stay with Dish. I am rethinking getting a second 722K...When I get another HD set I'll probably go with a 211 and the external HDD.

Ghpr13:)

Well, as I stated in other threads, Insight Cable charged me $15.00/month for their POC DVR. Their PQ came no where near what Dish PQ is on both HD & SD, and I got a lot less HD channels then I get with Dish's 200 pk.
Now if FIOS ever comes to Louisville, then I might take a look at that, but until then I plan to stay with Dish. I am rethinking getting a second 722K...When I get another HD set I'll probably go with a 211 and the external HDD.

Ghpr13:)

I agree 100%. And I did the same. 722 is my main, 211k and 301 in addition.

I hate the dvr fee and hate the fee on receivers I own, but I have 4 tvs going. 2 HD DVRs, 1 SD Dvr, and one SD tv. All those w/ the 250 package and it's just under $90/ month.

twc charges $20/ mo for their POS HD dvrs.

DISH is the "low priced leader" with the HIGHEST FEES in the industry.

This is why I said D* should make a commercial exploiting the fact.

I just looked up the 211k at the DishStore, and it doesn't mention that these are DVRs. Am I missing something?
Yes, you pay $40 to enable the DVR software and you buy an external hard drive to use the DVR. Your remote already has the DVR buttons.

You do not have the option of telling someone what they can charge you.
Sure you do. They don't have to charge it.

Last edited:
Just had an hour long discussion with Dish over the $40 external HD fee. I dont get this one... I own the box, I own the HD, and Dish does literally nothing to earn the fee.

Edit: Attaching the HD to a VIP622 so Im not enabling DVR functionality, just expanding capacity. I can see the fee on a 211k but c'mon.

But hey, over the last two years, DTV $28 -> $39 and DISH $30 -> $18. I wonder how successful Dish's business model really is.

I was just as upset as everyone else when the fees jumped Feb 1, and we lost the $5.00 TV 2 credit on the second Duo receiver. I'm still not happy with it but for my needs the alternatives are more expensive. Of course I could get rid of it all and use OTA and a TIVO. Even TIVO charges a monthly fee! As far as DISH changing the fee structure for the 211K and adding the DVR fee, it very well could happen. I seem to remember that when TIVO first came out you just had to pay one "lifetime" fee now it is a monthly fee...
So the question begs, why is there a DVR fee to begin with? Is it just because they can charge it and folks will pay? It seems so, if there isn't one for the 211K when you turn it into a DVR.
Finally and in my mind most important. It is a fact that the only way to truly stimulate the economy is to lower taxes and lower prices. Folks won't/can't spend what they don't have to spend. It is unfortunate that we seem to be in a vicious circle. Costs to run a business go up, consumers pay more for essential goods and services, leaving less to pay for non essential goods and services. Taxes go up to pay for government (Fed, State, and local) programs and services. Again depleting the discretionary income of most Americans. This really makes folks mad, I'm sure that we would have been just as upset with fee increases if the economy was booming, but it would have been short lived, instead we are still taking about it 6 months later! While it is certainly with in the right of any business to charge what ever the market will bare (or not) for a service it is just unfortunate that Dish decided to do it just when most folks are tightening their belts and trying to figure out how they are going to adjust their life style and live within their means. And yes pay TV, regardless of the provider, is in most cases a non essential service (I know there are locations where OTA is just not a option and I am not referring to those locations).
For roughly $400 installed I can have OTA installed for all TV's in my house (3 HD one SD) I'm sure if I knew exactly what I needed I could do it my self and save a few bucks. That is just over 3 months of Dish bills (including tax). Then voila no Dish Bill. Of course I've got a feeling if we did that we end up with a TIVO bill as we are a bit spoiled with the DVR. So with no TIVO we would save roughly $800 in the first year, I still may do it, it's just really hard as there are some really good shows on non broadcast TV, but I suppose they will be on Netflicks so......
Anyway the point is just evaluate your options and do what you think is best for you. No mater the provider they are going to get you somewhere, either fees for boxes, fees for service, or fees for programing, you will pay for it. And as has been said even after you do the research and find the best deal, in three months they could raise prices and guess what you are screwed again.

Enough from me on this subject I have a dog to wash and ton of errands to do today and tomorrow and Sunday is "Tax Free" days (up to $2500 single purchase) in Taxachusettes and I do have some shopping to do!!

Ross

Last edited:
So the question begs, why is there a DVR fee to begin with?
Initially it was a cost recovery device to offset the fact that DVRs cost more than standard receivers but were leasing for the same price.

Now, it is probably a sin tax along with a little thrown in for customer support.

HELLO!!! The TIVO lawsuit was the reason why we started paying a DVR FEE with DISH. Before the lawsuit there were no DVR FEES and DISH added more subs than ever before. DISH's NO FEE pvrs ( 501/508/721/921) forced DIRECTV to lower their DVR FEE structure from $9.99 a month down to $4.99 a month. Once Tivo started suing DISH we ended up with a DVR FEE per Dvr receiver. Then Charlie and company decided to take us up on our advice here and eliminated the DVR FEE per DVR receiver and add it per account. The catch was they really didn't eliminate the DVR FEE per dvr receiver ,they just rolled it up into the new Additional receiver fees we all enjoy paying every month. You know $17.00 per duo tuner dvr?

I could get rid of it all and use OTA and a TIVO.

I tried that, and came crawling back. Family was living with it, but weren't too happy and would let me know every now and then.

we charge it 'cause we can! :(

that is for sure! DVR is a function of the box not a service. that is why I hate that they use the phrase "DVR Service". TIVO charges, but their guide data is the service. D* and E* provide the same for all boxes, DVR or not.

I tried that, and came crawling back. Family was living with it, but weren't too happy and would let me know every now and then.

This was actually my wife's idea, to drop the Dish and go to OTA, not mine. Our adult son is the only other family member at home and he really isn't here that much so if he wants satellite he can pay for it (fat chance) Her rationale is we would probably watch less TV and do more of our hobbies etc that we just don't spend time on. In all honesty she usually is right about these things, it is me that is dragging my feet, however the "extra $120.00 a month" would look good in the budget!
Hell if worse comes to worse we can go back to dish after a year however since we will have OTA, only one box, probably a 211K (or equivalent) with an EHD, for the primary TV.

Ross

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)