DVR Fees - Will they continue forever?

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I have a PURCHASED 922 and a 722. Because I have these two receivers, I pay (like everyone) $27 a month for the privilege of using them.

To me, this is totally ridiculous. I've had every Dish DVR from the time they were released and never had to pay these stupid fees, now I'm getting hammered. By monthly bill is $170 a month and that's too much. After having Dish since the days of the 4000/5000 and every improvement along the way, I am seriously thinking of going back to cable.

Before I do, has there been any talk of these fees being revoked or reduced? It just seems outrageous that they can charge me over $300 a year to use boxes that I own. It's one thing to charge a "service fee" for something as a way to generate revenue, it's another thing to charge an exorbitant fee that is an insult to the customer.

I know you're all in the same boat, but has there been an uprising of sorts against these fees, or is everyone just smiling and paying the fee?

Thanks

You have the option of paying for the service, or going elsewhere.

You do not have the option of telling someone what they can charge you.

Why I left after 12 years. Like you, started with the 4000, got the DD adapter when it came out, went to 811, etc. etc. etc. Until all of the high paying/long term subs leave and he is left with high roll-over subs, things will not change. Some one put out the hardcore message, and even CEO offices won't budge. They seemed like their hands were tied when I called them, even to correct a problem they caused when they moved my dish (92 days and first storm afterwards). After I cancelled they said they would correct the problem if I came back. I told them "too bad, you had your chance". Telling subs to downgrade equipment or programming is just unacceptable and bad business. That's coming from someone who built a business from scratch (just sold it, yeah).

S~

For me, even with the outrageous fees, it's still cheaper than my alternatives.

However it still pisses me off.

Navy, and others here are smiling and paying the fee.

Many other longtime, formerly loyal customers are uprising and changing services.

Smiling? Hardly. Notice my posts about having to consider shifting over to Fios? But it seems right now, Dish is the best option for me. An option I will review next year.

In about a month, my son will likely move out, and I can drop HBO/SHO and save about $24/month.

Show me a provider with a $17 or higher fee Gary.

Uh, the DVR fee is $6 per account.

The $17 is for DUO receivers/DVRs. Show me another provider that even has them.

You can get a mighty fine HDDVR for $10/month every day.

Or you can get a 211k and convert it with no DVR fee and only a one-time HD enabling fee. Show me where else you can get that... :)

Sure you do. You leave.

S~

Hence my comment "or going elsewhere."

Saying over and over "it ain't fair" or some such is non-productive. You'll just have to evaluate your options, and go with what you think gives you the best bang for the buck. Trying to get the provider to cut prices won't work.

Unless a LOT of people leave. I doubt this will happen. But 3rd quarter will be most interesting. As will DirecTV's price increase next year.

They're all going up, folks. Local stations are going for blood, as are Disney and many others. They can charge here, or charge there, but they're going to charge. And there is a certain amount of justice in charging more to people with more DVRs. Do most have a single DVR, and hence, no receiver fees?

You know in all these grumblings these days, I haven't noticed anyone espousing the 'loyal customer' crapola that used to show up from time to time.

This is business arrangement for an entertainment method. Get the best deal you can, when you can and when it isn't good enough, cancel and get someone else. It isn't like there are no choices out there.

Uh, the DVR fee is $6 per account.

The $17 is for DUO receivers/DVRs. Show me another provider that even has them.

You can get a mighty fine HDDVR for $10/month every day.

Or you can get a 211k and convert it with no DVR fee and only a one-time HD enabling fee. Show me where else you can get that... :)

OK, I stand corrected, $23 DVR fee. There are plenty of dual tuner DVRS out there. Dual output? No. But you can get a 2nd SD receiver for cheap. Around $5.

OK, I stand corrected, $23 DVR fee.

Misstating things is just the wrong way to look at it.

You can get a DVR, cheaply and simply.

Say you have 2 TVs, if you want to save some money, get 2 211k's.

No DVR fee at all, other than a one time HD enabling fee.

Then $7/month (I think) for the 2nd one.

There - Done!! 2 DVRS, no DVR fee at all!!

You're welcome! :)

I have a PURCHASED 922 and a 722. Because I have these two receivers, I pay (like everyone) $27 a month for the privilege of using them.

To me, this is totally ridiculous. I've had every Dish DVR from the time they were released and never had to pay these stupid fees, now I'm getting hammered. By monthly bill is $170 a month and that's too much. After having Dish since the days of the 4000/5000 and every improvement along the way, I am seriously thinking of going back to cable.
I am paying $186 for my FiOS Triple Play bundle with all the FIOS TV channels (minus HBO/MAX), 50/20 Internet, Phone, a FIOS HD DVR, CableCards for my Tivo Premier and a Sony HD DVR, and a SD box for the spare bedroom. You're getting screwed!!! Even if I could get passed DISH/SATS HD-Lite, there is no way their service would be reasonably priced after connecting my three owned 622 HD DVRs. Even Comcrap is a less-expensive option (double-play bundle) these days. You are 100% correct to complain about these idiotic fees.

You have the option of paying for the service, or going elsewhere.

You do not have the option of telling someone what they can charge you.

I'm not telling them what they can charge me, I'm just asking a question. It seems like these fees are pretty high for owned equipment.

So, what is the advantage of owning the equipment then? Is there any?

I lived through the $1000 bought and paid for Dish DVRs of yesterday (I can't even remember the numbers, 921? 721) and there was never a fee for those.

Actually, the post above that suggests using 211's might be something to think about. I could always sell the Duo's. I was so used to buying the "latest and greatest" Dish stuff, I just automatically bought these before I even knew what the fees would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts