DVR Fees - Will they continue forever?

Don, nice write up and I agree with it.

It isn't the itemized parts of the bill that matter so much as it is the bottom line. I get irritated when I look at the itemized list of charges to see the equipment fees moved up. But the bottom line is what I pay and for me, E* has more of the channels I want to watch in HD for a better price.

For me, if I were to want to change providers, I would pay more and get less of what I want.

I've seen too many folks change providers because of specifics fees or charges, only to find out they did not do themselves any favors.

A bit ago, I almost did that to myself. I was ticked at E* about fees and other things, so I thought I'd switch and use the special deals with D* to balance out the ETF. D* did me a great favor by only offering to send me an HR something and restarting the old contract. I didn't like that at all, so I didn't make a switch. Note that I had forgotten how short the time was when I had switched from D* to E* as I had kept D* turned on with a minimum sub so I could have my locals in HD. Best thing D* ever did for me.

Since then, E* turned on my locals in HD, swung me around to the EA (got much better signal strength in the deal), and upgraded my 625 to a Vip612. Couple all of that with BBCA and some other national HD (including the newest), and I'm a happy camper.

Out of all of it, I got more of the channels I want in HD, went to an all HD setup in both rooms and my bill went down! You could easily color me tickled pink! :)

I doubt TIVOs will be unsupported, the guide info must not cost much, and if any incarnation of tivo stopped supporting the guide data there would be a explosion heard around the world.

It's all about money. If new owners/mgmt see no profit from continuing "lifetime" after they get a chance to dump it, it's gone.

its altogether more likely TIVO will be awash in Es money from the lawsuit settlement

I don't think that's likely. Even if Tivo "won" they're really only discussing the buyout price.

actually prefer the tivo with cable card over my 722Ks, TIVO is rock solid and just does its thing no troubleshooting needed:) plus i own all the content, so archiving will be easy.

You know you don't "own" the content. Don't plan on that continuing, as the folks who really do own it come up with ways of putting a stop to that. You know some of us find the Tivo slow and clunky.

the tivo suggestions are very handy and i have found some great shows from it

That's the first feature I'd turn off, if I had a Tivo.

See embedded replies.

Look again

I doubt TIVOs will be unsupported, the guide info must not cost much, and if any incarnation of tivo stopped supporting the guide data there would be a explosion heard around the world.

its altogether more likely TIVO will be awash in Es money from the lawsuit settlement

actually prefer the tivo with cable card over my 722Ks, TIVO is rock solid and just does its thing no troubleshooting needed:) plus i own all the content, so archiving will be easy.

the tivo suggestions are very handy and i have found some great shows from it

Bob right now TIVO is on the defense. They have lost the patients that they say E* used w/o permission. They are having to go to court to try and have the patients reinstated. So far the USPTO has taken those patients away.

Don, nice write up and I agree with it.

It isn't the itemized parts of the bill that matter so much as it is the bottom line. I get irritated when I look at the itemized list of charges to see the equipment fees moved up. But the bottom line is what I pay and for me, E* has more of the channels I want to watch in HD for a better price.

For me, if I were to want to change providers, I would pay more and get less of what I want.

:up:up

Ghpr13:)

Who may reconsider what?

The bottom line on my bill is the bottom line, the items individually aren't the important part.

But if I were a D* guy these days, I'd be praying for a huge churn at E* this quarter. Because you can bet D* is watching to see the fallout. If it isn't horrible, expect a bit of an uptick in some things from D*. Remember these are two big companies in business to make a profit and nothing more.

HD is free with Choice ultimate and Premiere: Comparable costs apples to apples:

Dish:

AEP: $99.99
Sports: $7.00
HD+Plat: $10.00
2nd 622: $17.00
211: $7.00
DVR Fee: $6.00

Total: $146.99

Direct:

Premiere: 114.99
HD+Extra: $4.99
DVR+MRV: $10.00
2nd and 3rd HR24: 10.00

Total: $139.98

S~

With, you have option of not getting the sports pack, so Dish is still even.

What I've been saying

Who may reconsider what?

The bottom line on my bill is the bottom line, the items individually aren't the important part.

But if I were a D* guy these days, I'd be praying for a huge churn at E* this quarter. Because you can bet D* is watching to see the fallout. If it isn't horrible, expect a bit of an uptick in some things from D*. Remember these are two big companies in business to make a profit and nothing more.

This is just what I've been saying too. That D* will do the same thing unless E* looses a bunch of customers.

I would guess you who did jump ship to D* are on some sort of promotional and will get hit when your year is up too. Then you may also have a two year contract. I've seen these deals in the past and you have to consider prorating the monthly bil;l over the 24 month time, not what your first month will be. I know my daughter got snookered by the fast talking DirecTV salesman on this she showed me their bill which looked quite attractive but when figured on the full term and after the promotionals expire, her deal is just so-so and actually quite similar to Comcast.

Theres no guarantee E wouldnt start charging a fee on 211s.,......
If they do, I am gone. I bought my 211 w/ the intention of having a DVR w/out having to pay a monthly fee. I have a 222 in my living room connected to a Tivo w/ lifetime subscription (had the Tivo for over 5 years now - more than paid for itself). If DVR fees are high enough between all these providers, I would also look into getting a HTPC w/ DVR.

If they do, I am gone. I bought my 211 w/ the intention of having a DVR w/out having to pay a monthly fee. I have a 222 in my living room connected to a Tivo w/ lifetime subscription (had the Tivo for over 5 years now - more than paid for itself). If DVR fees are high enough between all these providers, I would also look into getting a HTPC w/ DVR.

Well I cancelled because of the fee jacking, others over absolute going away, and you might be next over the 211s.

B* are no doubt looking for other income streams..... E appears in a all out battle to boost income.

Perhaps they KNOW they are going to lose the tivo lawsuit bigtime? and really need the money?

Who may reconsider what?

Dishnetwork may reconsider their fees if DirecTV makes a big deal out of fees. They should say "Sure Dish claims they have the lowest TV Package prices, but they have the highest FEES in the industry."

This is coming from a Dish customer who thinks high fees shouldn't be the norm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts