DVR Question: Skip to the beginning

RedWings

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Leesburg, VA
VIP622

If i'm watching a show and want to rewind to the beginning of the buffer, can I do it w/o just rewinding in x300 and waiting? Is there a key combination to skip right to the beginning?

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is a show that is NOT or has NOT been recorded.

Last edited:
gnash is correct it will only work if you are recording.. so if you are not recording then i dont think there is any other way to do it

Hit the Record button and choose Options and Select "Record Entire Event". This is only available if the show is in the buffer from the beginning.

NightRyder

This thread reveals a "want" for future software versions. I've known there isn't any shortcut but it hadn't occurred to me that a new line of code could let you go to the beginning of the buffer faster than the "X300" option. There just needs to be an additional "speed" on the pause/rewind bar when you press the back button and get to "X300". One more and you get "beginning buffer".

I would like an option to go to end of a recording. Then use the rewind or skip back to see the end of the recording to be sure I have it all or to get the actual length of long movies. Also useful for shows that start early over the current show to pick up the beginning of the second show.

While I'm at it it would be nice to specify record beyond show by -1 to -15 minutes for shows with padding on the end (see HDNet Smallville or Star Trek Enterprise) or to allow another timer to fire early. Hate to just enter full start and stop times as that can mess with description and whether it shows as a recording in the guide.

-Ken

I would also love to see a skip to beginning/end code. I have tivo and I love this for when I come home to watch hockey that has already started. The east coast games usually start around 4:30, so by the time I get home from work at 5:30 they're already an hour into the game. With tivo all I had to do was hit the skip to beginning button, then turn on the tv. With the 622 there has been a couple of times that I hadn't hit the rewind key enough times to get to 300x reverse and end up seeing some of the game. I wish dish had the capability to hide the live video in the menus.

Speaking of Shortcuts.......

Another feature I would like.. (if there is not already a feature to do this) would be similiar to the skip ahead 24 hours in the Program Guide... but I would like to skip ahead just 3 hours. - without hitting 3 and the right select button.......

It's been very convenient to hit the skip ahead button and go to the next day in the guide.. and I would love it if I could also just hit FF and move ahead 3 hours............

Speaking of Shortcuts.......

Another feature I would like.. (if there is not already a feature to do this) would be similiar to the skip ahead 24 hours in the Program Guide... but I would like to skip ahead just 3 hours. - without hitting 3 and the right select button.......

It's been very convenient to hit the skip ahead button and go to the next day in the guide.. and I would love it if I could also just hit FF and move ahead 3 hours............

Simple, just get a good Universal remote and program a couple of macros, you can make the jump any number of hours you want.

NightRyder

I wish the buffer bar (I think it is called) would show when the play button is pushed. Lots times while watching a recording we would like to know how much time is left to view. In the 722 you have to press pause or fast forward for the bar to show up. The MOXI and Motorola's 3416 DVR you just press the play button and it shows up and also the recording keeps playing for you.

I find the following is a very big irritant to me. Maybe I am doing something wrong if someone can help out. I am new to Dish's DVRs. Lotsa times my wife and I will start watching a timer program while it is still recording. We do this so we don't have to contend with the commercials. But when we stop watching the recording for any reason, there is no way that I can figure out to keep it stopped at that point. When we come back to watch where we left off we have to start at the beginning or try to figure where we left off and have to fast forward to where we were. Charter's MOXI and their 3416 DVRs would let you watch from where it was stopped last. Does anyone know a way around this? It is really a pain in the ass for us. Thanks

I would also love to see a skip to beginning/end code. I have tivo and I love this for when I come home to watch hockey that has already started. The east coast games usually start around 4:30, so by the time I get home from work at 5:30 they're already an hour into the game. With tivo all I had to do was hit the skip to beginning button, then turn on the tv. With the 622 there has been a couple of times that I hadn't hit the rewind key enough times to get to 300x reverse and end up seeing some of the game. I wish dish had the capability to hide the live video in the menus.

This is another reason I started this thread. Sometimes I come home to the Red Wings game being recorded. I have to turn on the TV, hit mute (in case the game is playing on TV1), hit the DVR button a bunch of times to go to "My Recordings" , find the game, then select "Start Over". Or i'll turn on the TV (not looking at the screen), listen for the game and if its on i'll hit the rewind button until it gets to x300 and leave the room for a minute. When I get back its usually rewound to the start of the game.

I can't stand walking in and finding out the score in the 2nd period if I haven't watched it from the start. Reminds me of a few times I wasn't going to be home until late and DVRd the game. I'd be at the bar and did my best to not look at the TV screen if they had a ticker along the bottom showing the scores. Sometimes you just mess up and see the score.

I have even made it through the entire day at work w/o hearing/seeing the score. I immediately tell the guy in the office across from mine to not say a word because i've yet to watch the game.

Simple, just get a good Universal remote and program a couple of macros, you can make the jump any number of hours you want.

NightRyder

I'd rather see it put into the software... instead of replacing each of my remotes......... for that matter... I'd just rather hit the number 3 and the "right" select arrow, than buy all new programmable remotes.

I find the following is a very big irritant to me. Maybe I am doing something wrong if someone can help out. I am new to Dish's DVRs. Lotsa times my wife and I will start watching a timer program while it is still recording. We do this so we don't have to contend with the commercials. But when we stop watching the recording for any reason, there is no way that I can figure out to keep it stopped at that point. When we come back to watch where we left off we have to start at the beginning or try to figure where we left off and have to fast forward to where we were. Charter's MOXI and their 3416 DVRs would let you watch from where it was stopped last. Does anyone know a way around this? It is really a pain in the ass for us. Thanks

If you are watching a channel that has been recorded (prior to watching it) when you go to live tv and come back to the recording it will be at the same point you were at (if you hit resume). I believe it will do it if you start very late and the recording ends (end of timer), but I don't think it will resume if you are watching "live" (while it is recording, even if you are behind where live tv is).

Geoff

I'd rather see it put into the software... instead of replacing each of my remotes......... for that matter... I'd just rather hit the number 3 and the "right" select arrow, than buy all new programmable remotes.

I do agree that it should be in the software. BUTTTT...if you have a lot of remotes (One for TV, one for DVD player, one for 622, etc...), you should try out a Logitech Harmony remote. I frowned at the price tag at first, but after I set this thing up, I never want another universal remote. This thing truly does it all. Its nice being able to push (Watch TV) and it'll make sure every device is on the right setting. Hit "Watch DVD", it turns off the 622, turns on the DVD, and switches the INput for the TV. You can also program special buttons too.

I wish the buffer bar (I think it is called) would show when the play button is pushed. Lots times while watching a recording we would like to know how much time is left to view. In the 722 you have to press pause or fast forward for the bar to show up. The MOXI and Motorola's 3416 DVR you just press the play button and it shows up and also the recording keeps playing for you.
You can just hit the "cancel" button. The top banner comes up and shows the time remaining in the lower right of the banner.

If you are watching a channel that has been recorded (prior to watching it) when you go to live tv and come back to the recording it will be at the same point you were at (if you hit resume). I believe it will do it if you start very late and the recording ends (end of timer), but I don't think it will resume if you are watching "live" (while it is recording, even if you are behind where live tv is).

Geoff

Thanks for trying GNASH, but no help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts