DVR records and deletes episodes?

Bmann78

Original poster
May 19, 2022
Florida
So this has actually been going on since I got dish about 4 years ago. I record various series w/o issue with the exception of one. Archer. For w/e reason my DVR deletes episodes daily( not in trash bin, just simply removes them ) and records episodes daily. I've tried everything I can protecting the series, higher priority, all episodes kept, etc and nothing has worked. I even tried to cancel the series from recording and even that hasn't worked. For the record I have various other series sitting complete on my dvr like rick and morty, etc.

Any help would greatly be appreciated because after 4 years I'm simply tired of this issue.

Hello, Bmann78. We definitely would want to look into the hard drive if protecting the recordings and changing the setting to "keep all" is not helping to save the episodes from disappearing from the DVR folder. We can run a quick status check. To do so, press Menu two times or Home three times, depending on your remote model. On the Diagnostics screen that comes up, select Status > Check Status > Yes. Once it completes the check, are there any error messages that appear under the "D Hard Drive Status" section"?

Hello, Bmann78. We definitely would want to look into the hard drive if protecting the recordings and changing the setting to "keep all" is not helping to save the episodes from disappearing from the DVR folder. We can run a quick status check. To do so, press Menu two times or Home three times, depending on your remote model. On the Diagnostics screen that comes up, select Status > Check Status > Yes. Once it completes the check, are there any error messages that appear under the "D Hard Drive Status" section"?
Everything checks ok. Like I said is just the one series( Archer ) every other series I've recorded has been fine. Its like Archer is set on a loop to record and delete daily.

What model Hopper do you have? What is the station code for 'Archer'? Maybe, we should try to record few and see what happens. Bizarre.

I've set the series to record on my H3 from my J3... we'll see.
Yeah usually once it records an entire season, sometimes only half, it starts deleting them as it starts recording from another season or recording from multiple seasons. It's just very odd this is the only series i have ever had this happen to.

Well...I have 5 episodes of Archer recorded on my H3.

Two of them were recorded last night three today.

None have been deleted so far.

These were recorded on FXX channel 125.

Well...I have 5 episodes of Archer recorded on my H3.

Two of them were recorded last night three today.

None have been deleted so far.

These were recorded on FXX channel 125.
The problem starts once an entire season is recorded and or other episodes from other seasons start getting recorded. That's when it starts deleting episodes, usually, from the first batch you recorded first.

Make sure your timer is set to keep all events otherwise the Hopper will delete after the default of 20 episodes.

If I have a series I want to keep, I move it to an external drive and the deletion settings do not affect the EHD.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Make sure your timer is set to keep all events otherwise the Hopper will delete after the default of 20 episodes.

If I have a series I want to keeep, I move it to an external drive and the deletion settings do not affect the EHD.
I have had it set to keep all, which is why it's odd that the series has been having this problem.

How about this scenario?
You set your Hopper to save all the episodes (everything you recorded). Hopper hard drive is almost full.
Does Hopper force its dvr feature to delete earliest episodes although they are supposed to be protected (in order to record new shows)? Or does Hopper stop recording scheduled shows since there is no more available hard drive space? :oops::eek:

How about this scenario?
You set your Hopper to save all the episodes (everything you recorded). Hopper hard drive is almost full.
Does Hopper force its dvr feature to delete earliest episodes although they are supposed to be protected (in order to record new shows)? Or does Hopper stop recording scheduled shows since there is no more available hard drive space? :oops::eek:
My hoppers HDD has 60%+ avaliable space, unless it's lying. Archer was the first series and one of the very first things I recorded to my DVR and it has always had this issue.

I have heard that there is a 999 recording limit on some Dish receivers, but the recordings are still there, they are just not displayable due to memory limits. Move your Archer recordings to an external drive and see if the "deleted" recordings reappear. The episodes are recorded, the drive has plenty of space, but if you have a large number of 30 minute recordings it could exceed the capacity of memory to display all recorded episodes. Move them to an EHD.

I know this doesn't help you much, but I have 132 episodes of Archer recorded on my HWS, and none of them have ever been erased. I have my receiver set to record new episodes, and none of them have disappeared.

No there are no issues

I would try deleting the timer and creating it again. In the past that has fixed goofy timer behaviors for me. That doesn’t resolve the “why”, but potentially gets around the problem.

make sure eposide limit isnt enabled, most my timers have 5 limit on them and last i check if it goes past that limit, it delete oldest DVR after recording 6th episode, and dont show up in the trash been either. less that behavior changed.

Could also be hitting hard limit of how many thing can be in folder? and or what can be listed in a show?