DVR Service Fee

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pez

Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
AZ
Hi all.

I "stumbled" upon this web site while doing a search on the 'Net.

I've belonged to DirecTV for about eight years.

For all of these years we've had the Total Choice package, no premium channels (although I do like the inclusion of the IFC channel!! :D ).

We have two Standard Receivers; one in the living room, the other in a spare bedroom. Recently I gave thought to getting a DVR. I went to the DirecTV web site to get some info, and then gave them a call on the telephone.

From my searching on the web (including "stumbling" here), I see I am not the only person who has ever questioned the "DVR Service Fee"; I even came across posts for it here on these forums at SatelliteGuys.us.

I already know what's inside of a DVR (the actual shows you record get recorded onto a hard drive, just like inside computers), and I know that you don't have to get the DirecTV DVR brand, that you can go to an electronics store and buy a different brand.

I know companies have their reasons for doing things, and you don't have to agree with them; sometimes it just boils down to, "It's just the ways things are", and you don't have to like it; it is what it is.

When I called on the telephone, the particular rep that I spoke to didn't have a lot of tech info as to the WHY of a DVR Service fee; this particular rep was probably more of a "sales" type and just wanted me to either upgrade to a bigger and better package, or, get more equipment. This rep basically told me that the DVR's fee is because it can Record, Pause, and Rewind. Heck....I do that on my VCR and my computer (I can watch television on my computer monitor with a TV Tuner card & software). So, I wrote them an e-mail instead.

Here's a quote from the e-mail:

"For your reference, DVR service is where you can record two shows at one time, record a show while watching a different live show, and record two shows while watching a previously recorded show. This service is $6 per month."

Here's some of what I responded with:

"I already basically do that with both my living room receiver and my spare bedroom receiver.

In the living room: I can record one show on my VCR while I watch a different show on my television. I own the VCR, paid-in-full. I don't pay a "service fee" for it. And I've been using the same VHS tape in my VCR for so many years now I've lost count how long I've been using it. I don't pay a "service fee" for the VHS tape; I own it paid-in-full. I'd say overall with both my VCR and the VHS tape, that I've been getting my money's worth: Fully paid for, no "service fee" charge.

In my spare bedroom: I can record onto my computer's hard drive with a television tuner card. I own the hard drive, the tuner card, and the software to make it all work. No "service fee".

I can do the three things you mentioned in your explanation for the service fee:

- I can record two shows at one time (one on the living room VCR/ television, the other through the tuner card in the computer/ hard drive)
- I can record a show while watching a different live show (living room VCR and television)
- I can record two shows while watching a previously recorded show (record one show on the VCR, one on the tuner card in the computer, and watch a previously recorded show on the computer as well)

So, as you see, I can do all of the things offered by you which would include your "service fee"....but I can do it for free.

So for right now, there's no incentive for me to get your DVR along with its incurrent "service fee". The reason I thought of doing it at all was because I thought there'd be a convenience to it. Instead of taping shows onto a tape in the VCR, the shows would get taped right onto a hard drive inside of the DVR."

Boy....can I get wordy or what?!?! :eek:

To me, a DVR is a "fancy" VCR.....except that it's "digital". Especially if I were to own the DVR and not "rent" it from them, I don't see the purpose of paying a monthly service fee. I've come across posts here and elsewhere where people seem to feel it's well worth the price to have the DVR and it's fee; like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So here.....I have sort of an analogy for you.....or perhaps this is more of an apples-to-apples comparison:

Back in the mid-nineties we got our first computer. For Internet access, the two big web browsers competing were Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator. When I'd go into a computer retailer or electronics store, they'd have those two pieces of software out in their display boxes (CD ROM's inside)......and you had to pay for/ buy these items. Yes, they cost money!!!

Now?? They're free. As a matter of fact, there is a plethora of browsers out there now, gratis.

Perhaps one day this will happen to the DVR "service fee". The recording, pausing, and rewinding is done inside of the machine itself; it's a "hardware thing", not really a "service" being provided to you.

If I wanted to add HBO to my channels, I'd have to pay for that "service", and then those channels would be "unscrambled" and I'd receive seven more HBO channels to my lineup; I'd pay for this "service" and receive it. This "service" is done on their end. Recording, Pausing, Rewinding and playback is done inside of the box on my end.

$6.00 more a month may not seem a big deal.....but times that by twelve months in a year, and that's $72.00 more a year. For now, I'll do it for free on my VCR and computer's hard drive.

Good lord, I've gotten wordy again ;)

Here's to hopeful and wishful thinking that the DVR service fee will go the way of the Dodo bird, that the companies won't have to milk us for every little thing.

Pez

Not going to happen.

DVR service fee pays for software patent licencing, so we dont end up like dish network. ( which is part of it as there is a lot of major patents everything from time shifting to name based recording to season pass most of this money goes to tivo. ) It also pays for the software that helps run the dvr function.

It could be worst some companies cable and satellite charge a dvr fee per physical dvr. Ours is just per account.

Not going to happen.

DVR service fee pays for software patent licencing, so we dont end up like dish network. ( which is part of it as there is a lot of major patents everything from time shifting to name based recording to season pass most of this money goes to tivo. ) It also pays for the software that helps run the dvr function.

It could be worst some companies cable and satellite charge a dvr fee per physical dvr. Ours is just per account.

Stonecold is right on the reasonable charge. I had Charter with Moxi and Moxi Mate. My DVR charge was $25 per month. With Direct I have two DVR for 11.99.

Not going to happen.

Thats what I was going to point out, I don't like the idea of another fee, but seeing it covers ALL dvr's on the account, it's not so bad.
DISH charges PER rcvr and the local cable company charges like $ 15 per month for EACH.

Try the DVR.......it's NOTHING like a VCR.......after a few weeks you will wonder how you lived without it. .....and you will fork over that extra $6.00 happlly!

If you are happy with your "FREE" methods of recording programming why are you considering a DVR? If the $6 per mo. offends you nobody is twisting your arm to get the DVR, but if you want a DVR the bottom line is "you gots to pay".

I for one consider it a bargain & can't believe I lived without it for so long. Throw in the fact that you can have as many DVR's running for the $6 & it gets even better. Watching even the best & most expensive VCR recordings tilts me to no end. Still have to laugh at the Betamax I merged into an HR22 a few months back.

I already know what's inside of a DVR (the actual shows you record get recorded onto a hard drive, just like inside computers), and I know that you don't have to get the DirecTV DVR brand, that you can go to an electronics store and buy a different brand.
That used to be the case, but not anymore. Any DVR you buy in a store will be DirecTV branded.

And the DVR can do a whole lot more than a VCR. Like watch a recorded show while its recording another or two. Try that with a VCR.

Stonecold is right on the reasonable charge. I had Charter with Moxi and Moxi Mate. My DVR charge was $25 per month. With Direct I have two DVR for 11.99.

You pay only one charge of $5.99/month per account to use as many dvrs as you have, one or one hundred

One of my favorite features of a DVR is how it will "follow" shows in your season pass. A network moves your favorite show from Monday to Friday? No problem, the DVR will follow it and record it without missing a episode. You won't find a VCR doing that.

DirecTV does it correctly by charging one DVR fee per account, while Dish charges a DVR fee per DVR. I wish Dish would adopt DirecTV's way of doing DVR fees.

Hi all.

Wow....thanks for all of the replies!! Didn't think I would get this many!!!

Yes, I do see that amongst the major service providers that DirecTV is the cheapest as far as the DVR fee goes. And like I said in my original post, I know that there are many that consider DVR's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Many of you have made that clear in this thread!!! ;)

Like many modern conveniences, once you've had something for a while, you can't imagine what it was like before, and especially can't imagine going back to the old way again. How could you possibly do without?!?!

And boba: You ask that if I'm happy with my "free" methods of recording, then why consider a DVR? Well, like I mentioned in my original post, I thought there'd be a convenience to it, to have the satellite receiver and "recording device" all in one box, instead of a receiver and a VCR (and not having to use tapes). And "offend" is a pretty strong word. I just didn't think that a monthly fee was justified, given that most of the work is done inside of the box/ receiver, and it's not really a service being provided to you (it's a hardware thing inside of the DVR performing this function.....there's not some technician on the other end over at DirecTV furiously typing in commands to bring you this "service").

And I know that DVR's are fancier than VCR's with more sophisticated features. But, I'm not a huge TV watcher. I don't need to watch a recorded show while the DVR records another two. I just want to simply record something here-and-there. I guess for that, my VCR will do for now; VCR & tapes are bought and paid for.

And markfp-1: The DVR feature of "following your shows".......that is pretty nifty, but again, I'm not a big TV watcher. When I do watch TV, I just like having that crystal-clear picture, plus, those "extra" channels I'm not going to get using a regular antenna.

When I was doing a 'Net search on DVR service fees (before I stumbled onto this site), I came across an article about Time Warner cable TV and their DVR service; here's an excerpt:

"I just upgraded my cable service to HD cable. To do so, I had to take in my old digital box to the local office and pick up a new HD box. While there the lady asked me if I wanted an HDVR box or just an HD box. Once I found out that they charge $6.95 per month I said no thanks. Then after everything was done, she handed me my box along with the other stuff I needed and as I was about to leave she said, “If you change your mind and decide you want DVR, just call us and we’ll turn it on for you. You don’t have to bring your box in to exchange it.” I asked her what she meant and she said that the box contains the DVR unit.

As I was walking back out to the car I started wondering why they have to charge $6.95 per month to allow people to use the DVR feature? Since the DVR unit is already in the box, it seems crazy that they have to charge more just to use it. Of course I know WHY they charge their customers to use it. It’s just another way cable companies rip us off. I just don’t think the use of the recorder is worth $83 per year."​

So.....this person also sees that the DVR features/ functions are inside the box, and finds it "crazy" that a service fee is charged to use it.

Anyway........thanks for the feedback, everyone. Many of you are pretty convincing that the $6.00 a month is worth it. But since I don't watch copious amounts of TV, my VCR will do for now.

Pez​

Again while the TW custome failed to realize is tw like dtv has to pay for the right for there software to contain features that are patented by other companies. Most cable boxes do have hd and hdvr funcationally because it easier to give everyone the same thing

The DVR model from almost the beginning has had a monthly service fee. While there have been products that had no service fee, they relied on 'free' guide data sources that on many occasions stopped being compatible or being provided at all, so they came with a lot of hassle too.

The idea of "well, its already there so why am I being charged for it?" if taken to the next level is "hey, that cable tv wire is already plugged into my house and already has 300 channels on it, so why does it cost me $75 a month to just run a 10' wire from there to my tv?"

Here's an old story. Way back in the late 60's/early 70's, IBM used to lease 3 printers with different page speeds. They also offered upgrades or downgrades and the lease fees were set by the printer speed.

The only big difference between the three printers was a belt that went in it that could run the paper through faster. It took about 5 minutes to 'upgrade' or 'downgrade' the printer.

The guys who did that job learned to make some excuse to get the customer out of the room while they installed the new belt.

DirecTV does it correctly by charging one DVR fee per account, while Dish charges a DVR fee per DVR. I wish Dish would adopt DirecTV's way of doing DVR fees.
Don't confuse "correctness" with what might be more appealing to the upper crust subscriber. In a pay-for-what-you-get model, the DISH pricing structure makes more sense.

It isn't entirely reasonable that you don't pay any more for a DVR than you do a non-DVR. It is initially attractive as a marketing tool, but it also a sign that those with "lesser" equipment are subsidizing those with more capable equipment.

DIRECTV has been recognized (rightly or wrongly) recently for these subsidies in hardware, HD and NFL Sunday Ticket.

I guess thats one way of looking at it, although I dont know how you look at it at all when you dont even have any directv equipment or service.

The other way is that multiple dvr's might increase the viewing of content and may lead to more optional programming services, increasing the income from multiple dvr subscribers. Which subsidizes all the baseline subs who order the minimum package and never buy anything else.

Having one flat fee doesnt discourage people from adding a second or third dvr.

So perhaps the directv model works better than the dish model.

Which company is doing better than the other, btw?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)