DVR upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cah1975

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Newbie here....I have been with Dish for about 5 years now and am still using the same receiver (301?) that was initially provided to me. I noticed that in a recent ad that new subscribers are being offered a "FREE" 2 room DVR upgrade. Does "FREE" mean that the 5.98 DVR fee is waived, or does that still have to be paid?

I only have the one receiver and would like to possibly replace it with a DVR receiver. I subscribe to AT100 and pay only 29.99/mo due to getting my locals with my attenna. Is there any way I can continue to get the 29.99 price with a DVR receiver?

free means no upfront cost

there is still a $5.98 dvr fee depending on what package you subscribe to.

If you have an account with dish online you can log in and see the receiver upgrade options available to you

The only way around DVR fees is to get a 501, 508, and 510 model (I think those are the ones) or to buy the AEP programming pack.

I believe the 510 does have the DVR fee. The 501 and 508 do not.

The 721, as stated previously, does not have the DVR fee.

Dvr

Do the receivers you just mentioned have to be purchased or are they free to lease AND no DVR fee? Hope the question makes sense, I'm kind of new to all of the technology

Do the receivers you just mentioned have to be purchased or are they free to lease AND no DVR fee? Hope the question makes sense, I'm kind of new to all of the technology
All fee-free DVRs must be purchased outright and are typically not available new.

They are rather old receivers that are not used on a new installation. Forgot to mention also that the DVR Advantage programming package waives the fee on 1 DVR. If you had 2 DVR receivers you would pay 5.98 on the second but not the first. Includes locals as well. If you did Dishin it Up to a DVR and went with DVR advantage you would be at $39.99 though so its pretty much a push.

DVR Advantage only reduces the fee for the first DVR, and with AT100 I think the savings is only about a buck. It can in effect be waived if for example you have AT200 (save $3.98) and add a premium for $10 instead of the regular price.

cah1975, you will probably be get a better deal then a new subscriber. if you are wanting a dual tuner dvr,you will most likely pay less then a new subscriber. a new subscriber gets the dvr upgrade for free from the regular rev. so keep in mind they are paying 49.99 for the regular rec. if you call into dish to do a dish'n'it up, you will come out ahead after the rebate kicks in. call in and find out. and it is only slightly more to upgrade from the single tuner dvr to the dual tuner dvr. consider getting the dual, even if only hooking it up to one tv. this will at least allow you to watch live tv and record live tv at the same time. the price for a 625 is slightly more then the 522 as it now has 50 more hours of recording(100 on 522 and 150 on 625), so after getting the prices take a moment and decide whats best for you. and the guys here are on the ball about the fee dvrs and dvr advantage prices. there is one thing though that every dvr user can agree on and that is wondering on how we ever watched tv before having a dvr. if you stop and think about it, the few bucks extra you pay for the dvr ensures that you can watch every show on every channel that you subscribe too. before dvr, i paid for every show, but could only watch it if i were home or by an act of god got my vcr timer set correctly and it recorded. ...off topic, but i was at an electronics store the other day, and a mom was looking at vcr/dvd combo players and her son, who couldnt have been but at least in the second grade said "mom, no one uses vcr's anymore. you are so analog". i busted up laughing right in the store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)