E! HD and BBCA HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
So that latest DirecTV ad "all hd all the time" is BS.

No, it's not BS. They do have all of their HD all the time.

First of all they never turned the actual trutv channel into HD. They added a special HD channel that was only active during games, and it was only during March Madness.
Second, without having an HD transmission deal for trutv, (even though I don't watch basketball), I think it was awesome that they secured the license to do that. It shows that they actually do want to make their customers happy.
Third, that is the only example you can find on DirecTV, as opposed to Dish who still can't figure out how to put HD games on RSNs (according to the currently active thread in that forum).

FSO/C are not broadcast in HD 24/7. Not Directv's fault, they just send us what they get. Dish does it intentionally so they can cheap out on bandwidth while still claiming them as HD.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you about most not being satisfied with HD offerings. However, not everyone is happy about price either. Therefore, I do not think that subs will be happy if there are any more increases in cost; however, most want more HD.

Prices have been going up, regularly, with the satellite and cable companies, at least once a year. I don't monitor too many of them, but routine has been to raise the subscription rates in the first quarter. It's an industry wide thing to do. A subscriber has to figure whether any additions justifies the extra costs.

The people bothered by DirecTV not bringing in more non-premiums that are ranked in package along the likes of USA Network and CNN and MTV -- examples are E! and AMC and Turner Classic Movies -- are correct.

DirecTV might raise the prices even without bringing in any non-premiums.

Now, what should happen is this: If prices go up by the end of 2012's 1st quarter, it should happen not with those non-premiums but the premium movie channels. I don't imagine taking on the suite of HBOs and Cinemaxes and Showtimes and Starzes screens are going to enable DirecTV to hold their current prices. While that is a question, perhaps, I don't believe there should be an increase with the non-premiums because DirecTV hasn't added anything so far during 2011. DirecTV will bring in the HD version of truTV, but there will likely be no others because of space limitations and an apparent disinterest in catching up, despite embarrasingly trailing Dish Network and however many other cable companies that do have the following (or majority) in HD: E!, AMC, Turner Classic Movies, Headline News, GSN, BBC America, gmc, HSN, QVC, Nat Geo Wild, Investigation Discovery, Style Network, Oprah Winfrey Network, The Hub, History International, Outdoor Channel, Logo, Sportsman Channel, Centric, We TV, IFC, Fuse, RFD, C-Span, C-Span2, Cooking Channel, DIY Network.

Do any of you realize that when you take inflation into account, the prices of every Directv package have remained completely unchanged from what they were 15 years ago? Prices go up because the government won't stop printing money so it is worth less and less each year. We just notice it because our paychecks don't have the same inflation curve.

Do any of you realize that when you take inflation into account, the prices of every Directv package have remained completely unchanged from what they were 15 years ago? Prices go up because the government won't stop printing money so it is worth less and less each year. We just notice it because our paychecks don't have the same inflation curve.

10 years ago the package I have was $ 42, now it's over $ 60 ....

10 years ago the package I have was $ 42, now it's over $ 60 ....

10 years ago gas was less than $2/gallon.

Prices for everything can and do increase over time. Singling-out your TV service, essentially entertainment, doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO.

jpn said:
10 years ago gas was less than $2/gallon.

Prices for everything can and do increase over time. Singling-out your TV service, essentially entertainment, doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO.

Yup, that makes it OK ... according to infltion gas should be about $8 per gallon, what a deal at under 4 :-(

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Yup, that makes it OK ... according to infltion gas should be about $8 per gallon, what a deal at under 4 :-(

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

What a joke! You're bitching about an average increase of less than $2/month, including taxes driven by the cable lobby. It's not like they're taking food off your plate. If you want to bitch at least pick a price increase that's dramatic or impacts lives. Groceries and medicines have increased far more, and you've got DirecTV stabbing your grandmother over $2/month.

It's life, deal with-it.

What a joke! You're bitching about an average increase of less than $2/month, including taxes driven by the cable lobby. It's not like they're taking food off your plate. If you want to bitch at least pick a price increase that's dramatic or impacts lives. Groceries and medicines have increased far more, and you've got DirecTV stabbing your grandmother over $2/month.

It's life, deal with-it.

EXCUSE ME ?

I'm not BITCHING about anything, I just mentioned it.

With all the channels out there, an SD channel with close to 20% viewership (even rarely) is a significant channel. Some of the programming like Torchwood (previously) and Dr. Who is very entertaining. If Dr. Who were presented in HD, I would expect viewership to increase significantly. I agree with you on E! -- I never watch it. I included it in my previous comment because the thread title contained both channels.

I can't prove it, but I feel that there are a number of channels currently in HD that would be watched less than BBCA if it were in HD. It's hard to get accurate viewership data because people tend to watch only HD channels when they have HD tv's. Comparing viewership rates between SD and HD channels is like comparing apples with oranges...

I agree 100% if a channel is not available in HD I wait until I can get the shows I want to watch in HD from another source before I watch them. This is the same with most people that I know as well. The least Directv could do if they aren't carrying the HD version of a channel is to get an agreement to carry the HD VOD of those channels.

I agree 100% if a channel is not available in HD I wait until I can get the shows I want to watch in HD from another source before I watch them. This is the same with most people that I know as well. The least Directv could do if they aren't carrying the HD version of a channel is to get an agreement to carry the HD VOD of those channels.

Do you really think that a channel that doesn't have a HD agreement with D* would allow a HD VOD first ?

Do you really think that a channel that doesn't have a HD agreement with D* would allow a HD VOD first ?
I was referring to when lack of capacity is being given as a excuse for not adding a channel. I know that lack of an agreement would prevent Directv from making available on VOD.

If ur looking for more national HD just switch to *E. I did a week ago and I'm kickin myself for not doing it sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

no thanks
I prefer the MLB Network, more of my locals in HD and my RSN in HD over a few crappy movie channels in HD any day

I was referring to when lack of capacity is being given as a excuse for not adding a channel. I know that lack of an agreement would prevent Directv from making available on VOD.

Lack of capacity is NOT given as an excuse. They have the capacity. They don't have agreements.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)