E-mail or Phone Call?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igzo99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Guys,

My HDDVR became unwatchable after October's software update. Basically because of audio dropouts/picture breakup and unresponsive commands, I eventually had to remove all HD channels from my list. I found that I can view programming normally if I stay on SD channels. Since then, I held my breath waiting for a fix. However, to my dissapointment the lasest release (which I got two nights ago), fixed nothing. I wanted see what would be the most effective way to communicate my concerns with D*. My contract is now expired so I am free to move on, if need be.

So, my questions are should I call or e-mail customer service?

Most importantly...does it really matter? Anything less than a replacement HDDVR w/no extended contract would more likely be unreasonable. Not because I am upset or being bitter. But really because I can't see repurchasing a product with only a 2yr lifespan and being forced under contract to do so.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what my options are/should be?

Guys,

My HDDVR became unwatchable after October's software update. Basically because of audio dropouts/picture breakup and unresponsive commands, I eventually had to remove all HD channels from my list. I found that I can view programming normally if I stay on SD channels. Since then, I held my breath waiting for a fix. However, to my dissapointment the lasest release (which I got two nights ago), fixed nothing. I wanted see what would be the most effective way to communicate my concerns with D*. My contract is now expired so I am free to move on, if need be.

So, my questions are should I call or e-mail customer service?

Most importantly...does it really matter? Anything less than a replacement HDDVR w/no extended contract would more likely be unreasonable. Not because I am upset or being bitter. But really because I can't see repurchasing a product with only a 2yr lifespan and being forced under contract to do so.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what my options are/should be?

You should call them and see if they can fix your problem. It sounds like you may have an alignment issue. Can you post your signal levels on the 99 and 103 satellites?

Thanks for your response.

I don't think its an alignement issue, because my older (silver) HDDVR still works.

I don't think its an alignement issue, because my older (silver) HDDVR still works.
It could be a multiswitch issue. Try using a different set of outputs from the multiswitch. Move the working DVR to the non working one's location.

Tell us your exact setup. Dish? LNB? Multiswitch?

Maybe not. I am just trying to eliminate possibilities. Again, please post your signal levels.

OP is not alone on this issue so I agree it's not allignment.

Like I said, maybe not. Finding a solution to any problem is about eliminating possibilities. That's why I would like to see his signal levels. It's also the easiest thing to check.

You could also have bad b-band converters. If the multiswitch suggestion that JDSpencer mentioned doesn't work, swap them with your other HDDVR and see if there is a change. I am assuming you don't have a SWM setup or an HR23, if you do, you won't have the b-band converters.

The other thing to check is if the old MPEG2 HD channels are any better. They are in the 70's.

It could be a multiswitch issue. Try using a different set of outputs from the multiswitch. Move the working DVR to the non working one's location.

Tell us your exact setup. Dish? LNB? Multiswitch?

I've switched the locations and both DVRs behaviors don't change. The silver is good. The black...bad. I have the 5LNB Slimline. No multiswitch.

My signals on the 99c are:

19 48 24 51 15 45 24 52 15 44 24 50 19 48

My signals on the 103c are:

48 56 51 57 47 54 48 57 47 56 49 57 47 60

I've switched the locations and both DVRs behaviors don't change. The silver is good. The black...bad. I have the 5LNB Slimline. No multiswitch.

My signals on the 99c are:

19 48 24 51 15 45 24 52 15 44 24 50 19 48

My signals on the 103c are:

48 56 51 57 47 54 48 57 47 56 49 57 47 60

Those numbers are very low. You have an alignment problem. I don't think the software update had anything to do with it. Do you have the protection plan? If so, a service call is free.

Those numbers are very low. You have an alignment problem. I don't think the software update had anything to do with it. Do you have the protection plan? If so, a service call is free.

I don't have the service plan, but I'm confident I can fix the alignment issue myself. I have a question though. Why would the alignment issue effect one DVR, but not the other?

I don't have the service plan, but I'm confident I can fix the alignment issue myself. I have a question though. Why would the alignment issue effect one DVR, but not the other?

What models are they?

HR20-700 & HR21-700

So they are comparable then. I thought you might have had an HR10. Why one is working okay and the other isn't, I have no idea. Perhaps one is less sensitive to lower signal levels. Anyway, good luck adjusting it yourself. The only advice I can give is to make small adjustments and give the dvr 30 seconds or so to process the changes before continuing. Good luck, and make sure to let us know how it goes.

So they are comparable then. I thought you might have had an HR10. Why one is working okay and the other isn't, I have no idea. Perhaps one is less sensitive to lower signal levels. Anyway, good luck adjusting it yourself. The only advice I can give is to make small adjustments and give the dvr 30 seconds or so to process the changes before continuing. Good luck, and make sure to let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your help raoul5788. It'll be a couple weeks before I can get up there and try it, but I'll definetely let you know.

ok, well a couple of weeks have turned into a couple of months...

I've climbed my roof and my signals are now:

99c:

79 83 83 86 76 81 80 85
75 81 80 82 82 87

103cb:

89 89 86 87 85 86 85 87
85 86 86 87 86 89

Unfortunately, the behavior of my DVR has not changed.

Is there anything else I should check prior to contacting D*?

ok, well a couple of weeks have turned into a couple of months...

I've climbed my roof and my signals are now:

99c:

79 83 83 86 76 81 80 85
75 81 80 82 82 87

103cb:

89 89 86 87 85 86 85 87
85 86 86 87 86 89

Unfortunately, the behavior of my DVR has not changed.

Is there anything else I should check prior to contacting D*?

It sounds like you have covered the potential problems, and it does sound like you have a bad dvr. When you call them, tell them the bad one won't even turn on. They should send you another one. You may have to pay $20 for shipping, but that is all. Also, make sure they don't extend your commitment since the dvr is defective. Oh, and they will want the old one back. Directv will send you a prepaid shipping box for it. Make sure to return it as soon as possible.
Edit: It just occurred to me that no one suggested changing your bbcs. Those are the small barrel shaped connectors on the back of the dvr. Try switching them from one dvr to the other and see if that helps. Good luck and make sure to let us know how it goes! BTW, those signal levels are still a bit low and should be able to be improved.

Thanks raoul5788, I appreciate your help. I'm not sure how to go about it from here. I don't have a protection plan. I guess I'm just old enough to expect things to work the way they should without paying an extra $6 a month. My original post was whether or not e-mail or phone call was better...I guess after adjusting and testing my equipment, I find we are back to square one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)