Early ku systems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fargo.hendryx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Sweetwater Tn
Does anyone remember the early ku systems in the '80's? You had to have a lna with video and audio cables? also had a pulse cable for the motor.:coffee

I don't have any first hand experience, but I've heard that the signal going down the line was actually 3.7-4.2 GHz. So it had to be very 'low loss' feed line.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

In '87 I had a 9' spun aluminum dish installed (c-band). Upgraded the feedhorn to a C/Ku ADL in about 1990.

The only recollection of ku I have is of two NBC channels on F5. A half hour of Tom Brokaw news - the rest of the time were color bars.

Their 'main' feeds are on 105W C band. All Ku itinerant feeds are for convenience of portability. IMHO.

Any reason why NBC went to KU band in the first place in the 80's? Just wondering...:coffee

I think it was probably because when Satcom K1 and K2 were launched around 1983 or 84, NBC was still owned by RCA, that also owned RCA Satcom. If I remember right back around '85-'86 RCA and HBO tried to get cable headends to convert to the Ku-Band. They offered free Ku earthstations to cable operators. HBO and Cinemax E & W were on K1 or K2, and HBO's short lived "Festival" family oriented movie service was Ku only in addition to being unavailable to TVRO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts