East Coast SIRIUS Signal...again

DogGoneIT

Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
What's up with this? Seems like every evening the signal constantly drops out.

I have a home docked unit that shows ten bars on the TER signal yet 2 or 3 times a minute (or more) there is a moment of silence. This is the third evening this week I've had to shut it off. Anybody else having trouble?

(And Howard thought he had problems at K-ROCK!)

If you are receiving 10 bars of signal and you are still experiencing dropouts, you have a bad antenna, dock or radio. If you signal is going from 10 bars to none and back, you need to find another placement of the antenna.

BTW, WELCOME to Satelliteguys.us and the Satellite Radio Forum!!

The TER signal does bounce. My question is why does the signal drop when there is a stationary repeater and a stationary receiver? And why can I listen for hours at some times without a single interuption and a solid ten bars yet it is totally unlistenable at other times? <like right now grrrrr!>

Is the antenna located in the window sill? It could be a bad antenna that, when it gets warm because of sun light and warm days it expands, and then, it gets cold, and well, contracts. I might not be able to handle this anymore and at some point loses its wavelength and you get dead space.

This is just a hunch, I had a few 802.11 antennas go bad on me and after puting them into an enclosure to remove the direct wind-chill on them from the outside I never had a problem again. I even took the same antenna's and left them with out the enclosure, and well, I had the loss of signal.

I would test another antenna, espeically if its something only YOUR unit is experiencing - if it were an EAST COST thing, I would expect more people in this thread to say yes they experienced the same problem.

Good luck

PhuckNut said:
Is the antenna located in the window sill?

No, it's currently on top of the kitchen cupboards. I have tried every room in my home and even hung the antenna out a window without any improvement.

PhuckNut said:
if it were an EAST COST thing, I would expect more people in this thread to say yes they experienced the same problem.

There was a thread right after Christmas about an East Coast issue. I am listening in the Springfield, MA area.

I have a Starmate in my car and a Sportster at home. The Startmate does the same thing but I had chalked it up to being mobile. I have noticed in the car that both the SAT signal and TER signal drop when there is dead air...I'm convinced the repeater is loosing the signal...and nobody else listens to SIRIUS in my area to complain :eek:

I've experienced this issue here in southern michigan the past couple of days while listening to 104 and 105 during the late afternoon and evening hours but not to any heavy degrea. Im using a starmate replay model mobile, antenna is mounted on the passenger side of the work van cab on the roof and I work out in the countryside mostly. I've chalked it up to probably nothing more than maintenance or somewhat asleep at the console drooling on the board.

The reception level SUCKS. I've had XM for a couple of years and and can literally shoot through walls and get a better signal than sirius. I got it for my wife for Howard for Xmas but it's gone. Sirius is total garbage imo. Doesn't matter if you have good content if you can't get it. You lost a customer.

I don't know what kind of house you guys live in but I've never had any problems.

I have my Visor set up in the middle of the house and it never drops out.

And it's one of the cheapest models out there.

Something is definitely not right in my location (Springfield, MA)

While my home unit seems much better of late (terrestrial signal has been very solid), I get nothing from the satellite signal in the car.

I have tried with two different units and four different antennas and all I get is an occasional blip on SAT. If I lose the TER signal, it’s dead air.

SIRIUS must be streaming their feed to repeaters on land lines!

charper1 said:
I just spent 2 weeks in Boston without any ill effects, on a home kit or in the car.

This week?

I've had my Starmate for 7 months and never had an issue, but I didn't use it all that much.

Now that Howard is on, I want to use it for my commute...and it flat out sucks in the car!

Dgenx321 said:
I don't know what kind of house you guys live in but I've never had any problems.
I have my Visor set up in the middle of the house and it never drops out.
And it's one of the cheapest models out there.
I've got a sirius sportster-- home kit car kit and boom box, after reading all the horror stories about reception I almost didn't get it. must say I was suprised the reception is stable, home antenna is sitting on top of a bookcase right next to the XM antenna-- XM pointed south Sirius pointed west northwest. Good signal right through ceilng and roof. No repeaters around me in Central Jersey.

I just got back into PHX Sunday, so the past 2 week, yes. I would investigate if you have some bad equipment. I have investigated a few friends "horrors" only to find out it was either a bad antenna/antenna wire or their antenna placement. With a car antenna mount on the roof, I sure wouldn't say antenna placement. LOL!

In the past, I just placed the antenna up on the dash (really not a good idea though with airbags!)

Troubleshooting this week, I've been driving around with the sun roof open (burrr!) so I could place the antenna(s) on the roof. With two units and 2 home docks, I have four antennas...I find it extremely hard to believe all four are bad.

Are there any SIRIUS reps that monitor this board?

Is there anybody in my area NOT experiencing any troubles this week?

Where? I am looking and its no where on the main pages?

i just called my Boston bud, and his drive from Essex to BOS was clear the entire way. My setups are running AOK in PHX.

Last edited:
Well I called 3 more buds, Tampa, Dallas and Memphis and no outages. Where are the links to all the nationwide outages reports? I am a member at SiriusBackstage and have searched all over and in the user forums and can't find them.

Is it mounted in the window sill?

DogGoneIT said:
No, it's currently on top of the kitchen cupboards. I have tried every room in my home and even hung the antenna out a window without any improvement.

How in the world does this get a clear and unobstructed view to the sky and in the proper orientation? You also can't just hang it out of a window either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts