Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As you might have noticed in this weeks uplink report DISH has started removing SD channels from the Eastern Arc.

Over the next month DISH will be removing all the SD channels from the Eastern Arc which they carry in HD. Since the Eastern Arc is all MPEG4 there is no need for them to carry the SD channels anymore. This will open up a lot of space for things including possibly more 4K. :)

These channel removals will be done over the month.

In addition for those with DISH Latino packages some channel numbers will be moving to the mainstream channel locations. You may have to update your favorite lists for their new locations.

As you might have noticed in this weeks uplink report DISH has started removing SD channels from the Eastern Arc.

Over the next month DISH will be removing all the SD channels from the Eastern Arc which they carry in HD. Since the Eastern Arc is all MPEG4 there is no need for them to carry the SD channels anymore. This will open up a lot of space for things including possibly more 4K. :)

These channel removals will be done over the month.

In addition for those with DISH Latino packages some channel numbers will be moving to the mainstream channel locations. You may have to update your favorite lists for their new locations.
What about the channels just in SD?

I wonder if this caused a glitch which removed my New York CW channel (919), or if that issue is related specifically to the Tribune dispute.

In theory, it shouldn't have been affected, because it was a SD-only channel, and there was no equivalent HD one, but I do find it extremely odd that I now don't have any CW channel at all in my guide.

Do they have any plans to move the locals to the new E-18 with the 109 spotbeams and leave the conus stuff on the current one. Are there any conus locals left on the 61.5/72 birds?. Most likely a spotbeam for the area and they can clear off any more locals that are conus.

Extra space on EA is a nice starting point...but generally whatever they do on EA has to be mirrored on WA, so there has to be room on both before there are major additions, right?

How about allotting more bandwidth to the existing HD channels?

Sounds nice, but we all know that ship has set sail. Sadly, the masses couldn't care less about PQ. :(

Extra space on EA is a nice starting point...but generally whatever they do on EA has to be mirrored on WA, so there has to be room on both before there are major additions, right?

Sounds nice, but we all know that ship has set sail. Sadly, the masses couldn't care less about PQ. :(
The ship may return if channel consolidation starts happening as Burke from NBCU has alluded to.

Is it still possible to get just SD packages and then pay the $10 fee for HD? Or is HD now considered free for everyone and is part of standard packages? Because if you had someone on EA without the HD portion and just SD, wouldn't they be losing a lot of channels - and a lot of major ones at that? Or for EA do you have to have HD?

Reactions: longisland94
Is it still possible to get just SD packages and then pay the $10 fee for HD? Or is HD now considered free for everyone and is part of standard packages? Because if you had someone on EA without the HD portion and just SD, wouldn't they be losing a lot of channels - and a lot of major ones at that? Or for EA do you have to have HD?

All the channels other than locals are there in SD on EA, many now are HD downsized to SD. (480I) I think a DIRT member has to answer if DISH still charges for HD it has become murky to me if they do or don't. It's certainly easy enough not to pay in any case and so far it seems the Flex Pack is HD with no fee.

Do they have any plans to move the locals to the new E-18 with the 109 spotbeams and leave the conus stuff on the current one. Are there any conus locals left on the 61.5/72 birds?. Most likely a spotbeam for the area and they can clear off any more locals that are conus.

At this time E18 is pending license as a "spare". The pending license only requests authority to use the command and control frequencies for E18 at ~61.5W (no satellite uplinks or downlinks).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)