Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

EPG for OTA on 722?

For my new installation of DN service, I have a 722 DVR. I can get locals in HD OTA, but w/o an EPG, it's painful to program the DVR. Is there a way to get the EPG for the OTA broacasts for the 722?

Does anybody know if You can use a DISH 500 dish to aim at 77 and 72 satellites and a separate dish aimed at 61 to get the eastern arc? or do You have to have the 1000.4 dish for the eastern arc?

Thanks in advance for Your reply.

Not well. The 500 is designed for 9 degrees of separation. Go w/1000.4.

yes pay dish $5.95

I see. Thanks for the info. Maybe it's worth that rip-off fee until the EA actually sends me major network programming. I'm still hoping somebody can tell me how I'll know or how to find out when locals are available on the EA.

I guess I'm not surprised that the CSR I talked to didn't offer that solution when I last called. I'm not impressed with the CSRs at Dish. I seem to get different answers every time I call.

It still will not necessarily work for all OTA....

I see. Thanks for the info. Maybe it's worth that rip-off fee until the EA actually sends me major network programming. I'm still hoping somebody can tell me how I'll know or how to find out when locals are available on the EA.

I guess I'm not surprised that the CSR I talked to didn't offer that solution when I last called. I'm not impressed with the CSRs at Dish. I seem to get different answers every time I call.

I am paying the fee, and only get EPG for NBC - the other channels are all "Digital Service", even after setting a manual timer and recording the show.

Every Dish tech support person I talked to was confused as to why I would get a 722 with no HD at $7/month, and then wanted to have the locals - that after I started each conversation with "I have no LOS on 129, which carries my locals and lots of HD." They should know that better than me!

About EA....

When called to upgrade from a 625 to a 722 so I could record HD locals OTA, they told me I would be switched to a 1000.4 and put on EA. When the technician got to my house to change out the DVR, he did not know what I was talking about.

I decided it is no big deal because I am moving in the next few weeks. They told me I would definitely be EA on my new installation - I am not sure I believe it.

Too bad they didn't park the satellites in the eastern arc in the same relative positions from each other as the western arc so that installers could use the same dish for either installation.

EA locals are here

When called to upgrade from a 625 to a 722 so I could record HD locals OTA, they told me I would be switched to a 1000.4 and put on EA. When the technician got to my house to change out the DVR, he did not know what I was talking about.

I decided it is no big deal because I am moving in the next few weeks. They told me I would definitely be EA on my new installation - I am not sure I believe it.

To answer my own question: I called last night, and the CSR said, "Why yes, you can get locals on the EA now. After a hit and restart, I now get locals from EA. Not only do I get locals now, but I also get the EPG for both Dish locals and OTA locals. Sweet.

Yes, I have the 1000.4 dish in case you were wondering.

I had an 811 recever that dish said was being outdated. My retailer just sent me two new VP211K receivers and the 1000.4 dish. He said that my two dish 500 receivers also need to be pointed to the EA before the new receivers can be activated. Is this correct? I don't et that impression from this forum.

Too bad they didn't park the satellites in the eastern arc in the same relative positions from each other as the western arc so that installers could use the same dish for either installation.

Satellite spacing is under tight international control.

I had an 811 recever that dish said was being outdated. My retailer just sent me two new VP211K receivers and the 1000.4 dish. He said that my two dish 500 receivers also need to be pointed to the EA before the new receivers can be activated. Is this correct? I don't et that impression from this forum.

Do you mean "my two dish 500 dishes?" The 1000.4 should replace your 500s. No way should he be allowed to leave you with 3 dishes on your roof, unless you want one dish pointed at each satellite.

I had a new install done on Sept 2, 2008. I have 2 vip722 receivers, AT250 with HD Gold and Platnium. My dish says Dish 1000 on it and i have 110, 119 & 129 when i do a check switch. How can i tell if I have a 1000.2 or a 1000.4 dish? I am thinking if it is a 1000.2, I can install my old Dish 500 and point it to 61.5. If I have a 1000.4, can I realign to the EA and call dish and activate it once the new smart cards come? My new 722's do not have smart cards in the slot.

You have a 1000.2 but may be able to have a 1000.4 if you swap the heads out. I don't think the reflector is different but I am not sure. The satellites you are receiving tell all. If you substitute a single LNBF on the 500 it may work. I don't think the standard two-headed would work (at least well enough). A smart card is not always required for 1000.4. I think Dish is using the issue to control subscriber movement. Ah, the beauty of being your own boss (i.e. owning your equipment).

The heads are not interchangeable between the .2 and .4 dishes. The reflector is different and there is a notch or different shape (I forget which) to prevent swapping.

I had a new install done on Sept 2, 2008. I have 2 vip722 receivers, AT250 with HD Gold and Platnium. My dish says Dish 1000 on it and i have 110, 119 & 129 when i do a check switch. How can i tell if I have a 1000.2 or a 1000.4 dish? I am thinking if it is a 1000.2, I can install my old Dish 500 and point it to 61.5. If I have a 1000.4, can I realign to the EA and call dish and activate it once the new smart cards come? My new 722's do not have smart cards in the slot.
You are set up with a 1000.2 Dish. Your set up is fine. There is no need to change. Swappping is not possible. The components of D-1000.2 and 1000.4 differ in many ways. They are not interchangable
Why are you interested in making any change when your system is adequate.
BTW, you will receive you new cards in due time.

Why are you interested in making any change when your system is adequate.
BTW, you will receive you new cards in due time.

Because my locals appear to be moving to 61.5 (acording to the uplink thread) once they are turned on in HD (South Bend, IN 46601). So if the current dish can swing around thats what i prefer to do instead of having a second dish. Not sure my home owners association allows multiple dishes also.

How do I get my local instaler to make the effort to get me HD off of 61.5? I tried getting new service and the low LOS of the western HD sat. prevented the instalation. When I took to reciever bach and said something about "Eastern Arc" they just said "you can't get that yet". They never mentioned maybe using 2 dishes or made any effort to get me service. I was like "oh well, see ya". Bad sales force not making any effort to attract subscribers! Would I have better luck calling DishNetwork directly to arrange hook-up?