Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

That statement needs to be emphasized and will no doubt be repeated over and over and over for many months. So long as 61.5/110/119/129 exist, current customers do not need anything related to Eastern Arc. They may want this setup, but Dish has no reason or obligation to switch people over,

This is true. Eastern Arc is a test, and part of the slow transition to an all MPEG4 service nationwide. You can still get everything you subscribe to on Western Arc. Other than the "cool factor" of having all MPEG4, there is no benefit.

even down to providing them a new smart card. They could do something as simple as not provide the mechanism in their systems to allow current customers to switch or add the new, req'd smart card.

Wrong. This new smartcard is not just for Eastern Arc. It's going out to EVERYONE by the end of the year. As anyone who's been paying attention knows, Dish's encryption has been compromised, and MUST be updated to prevent further signal theft.

The new smartcards will be provided free. However don't expect Dish to upgrade you to an Eastern Arc Dish for free, because they are not going to.

If your current setup is working for you then there is no reason for them to spend money on an upgrade thats not going to give you more then you have now.

Thanks for the info. I don't "want" the new dish just because, I just thought that I may NEED the dish when my locals go HD. But again, I can't find any info on when and what spot in the sky the Wilkes-Barre, PA locals will be at. That is the info I was hopping to get.

Thanks!

hmm... the attachments mentions the 500+ to 1000.4 kit. I wonder if there will be a Superdish to 1000.4 kit as well, or if that kit will work on a Superdish.

Scott, how do you think customers who recently had/or will soon have their HD Locals only available on 61.5. These customers require a 2nd dish currently to add 61.5, but would only need one dish with EA. Any idea what the procedure will be for these folks? Will E* insist on installing a 2nd dish, or will they authorize EA for these folks?

Wrong. This new smartcard is not just for Eastern Arc. It's going out to EVERYONE by the end of the year. As anyone who's been paying attention knows, Dish's encryption has been compromised, and MUST be updated to prevent further signal theft.
You missed the mechanism part of the post. Even though the new cards are for all receivers/systems, the switch may not be given to yours to allow the Eastern Arc channels to work.

Scott, how do you think customers who recently had/or will soon have their HD Locals only available on 61.5. These customers require a 2nd dish currently to add 61.5, but would only need one dish with EA. Any idea what the procedure will be for these folks? Will E* insist on installing a 2nd dish, or will they authorize EA for these folks?

There is a reason why Dish is rolling out EA to groups of cities at a time... it is because these cities have their HD locals already on 61.5. :)

Dish will be using the 77 degree satellite for HD locals for other cities which may be on 129 now.

Again this is why they are rolling out by DMA. :)

There is a reason why Dish is rolling out EA to groups of cities at a time... it is because these cities have their HD locals already on 61.5. :)

Dish will be using the 77 degree satellite for HD locals for other cities which may be on 129 now.

Again this is why they are rolling out by DMA. :)
Ok, I guess that Austin will be in one of the next batches. Austin's HD locals are only on 61.5 (launched last week of March), and Austin isn't in the first group of EA cities.

"the switch may not be given to yours to allow the Eastern Arc channels to work."

That's how I understand it. Even if you have a 1000.4 and the new card you will need to call them to activate the switch to the Eastern Arc and they may not allow you to switch.

Since Dallas locals are on 129, does that mean my DMA will be switching over to EA? I have recently "moved" to the Dallas DMA and I don't want them sending equipment to the address I "live" at right now... Will I need to do anything different in the near future?

Scott, if my contract is up and I am having problems with both 110 and 61.5 reception and I live in one of the DMA's being lit up do you thing I could get E' to upgrade me to EA? Also, have you heard when the new DVR's are going to be available?

Scott, if my contract is up and I am having problems with both 110 and 61.5 reception and I live in one of the DMA's being lit up do you thing I could get E' to upgrade me to EA? Also, have you heard when the new DVR's are going to be available?
Tricky with a 61.5 problem. 61.5 is part of EA. That would need to be solved first.

So the new smartcards for my 211, 211k, 622 will be an actual card they mail to me? Not a software download? So if I am a "moving" person, I need to switch back to my actual address soon? Existing customer here but can't wait to switch over to EA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts