Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

Just an update...

I put the 1000.4 Dish together and it was a snap to do. However I did not get the smart cards that were supposed to be overnighted to me, so I won't be able to test this weekend.

I am going to put up the Dish 1000.4 up by itself tomorrow and run a line to my desk so this way when the card comes I can do a test of both systems.

Sorry, of course, but I thought it wasn't available for retail yet, so I didn't even check the store. I thought it was exclusively for new subs for awhile. So I wonder if I should swing my D500 with DP Dual and I-adapter, aimed at 61.5, over to 72.7 to see what's going on. There's a few Mpeg4 SD channels now on 61.5, that are part of EA, but so far my receiver didn't want to get them from there. I tried CH 838 and CH 213, but they either came from 119 or 110. But at the same time the receiver decided to get HD channels from 61.5 and not from 129. I might just try to block the 119 eye and rerun check switch, and then see if the receiver is forced to get the few Mpeg4 SD channels from 61.5. Problem is, I have fear of heights and only go up the ladder when I really have to. So I was hoping Scott would have some news today about how Mpeg4 SD would look like, and then decide whether to go up the ladder or not. I really have trouble with balance, since I am deaf in my left ear, and I get really frightened on a ladder. I wish I didn't have those tall trees around and put my dishes on a short pole in the yard, or mount it to my back deck. But the trees aren't mine.

Curious!!!

Hi all,my first post on this great site.Been reading though this ER.thread.My question,what plan does dish has if, any for the thousand of customers that live in the caribbean we are apart of the millions of customers that they do have.or are forgotten?.Thanks for any update.

Hi all,my first post on this great site.Been reading though this ER.thread.My question,what plan does dish has if, any for the thousand of customers that live in the caribbean we are apart of the millions of customers that they do have.or are forgotten?.Thanks for any update.
Why would you need EA?.

Why would you need EA?.
Thanks, that was just a question as to the changes been made.Any Hd.ch.that we get would come from 61.5,and since we're getting 61.5 then the other like 72.7/77.0 should not be hard to get.Again just a curious question from a customer,and the question was not about ER.but of any changes that might affect our viewing,yes we're south of the border but we are here,as dish customers thousand of us,lots of islands.Thanks for the respond.

Was talking to my brother-in-law yesterday after they had Dish out to tighten their dish after ~9 months of service. Most of the bolts needed re-tightened and was the cause of frequent drops/loss of signal. Anyway, the installer told him they'll be back out in a month or so to replace and re-aim their dish to point "east", i.e. towards Eastern Arc. The installer didn't mention EA or if he did, it meant nothing to my in-law. I said that doesn't sound right because existing customers will stay as they are and there's simply too many customers to do this for.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but has Dish's plans changed ?

Was talking to my brother-in-law yesterday after they had Dish out to tighten their dish after ~9 months of service. Most of the bolts needed re-tightened and was the cause of frequent drops/loss of signal. Anyway, the installer told him they'll be back out in a month or so to replace and re-aim their dish to point "east", i.e. towards Eastern Arc. The installer didn't mention EA or if he did, it meant nothing to my in-law. I said that doesn't sound right because existing customers will stay as they are and there's simply too many customers to do this for.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but has Dish's plans changed ?

That is weird indeed.:confused:

Once again SatelliteGuys.US is proud to give you a head start look at the upcoming 1000.4 Dish which we have been calling the "Eastern Arc" dish. :)

Attached is the official installation manual and a fact sheet which tells you more about The Eastern Arc Dish.

*** REMEMBER AT LAUNCH EASTERN ARC PROGRAMMING WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY AS IT REQUIRES A NEW 3G SMARTCARD TO FUNCTION, EA WILL BE AVAILABLE TO EXISTING CUSTOMERS AT A LATER TIME ***

CLICK HERE FOR THE EASTERN ARC DISH INSTALLATION MANUAL

Scott...
Dish sent us EA kits ...without charts as to where to point the damned things.
I called Dish tech support and at least that call center did not have the info either.
We have 4 1000.4 jobs today and because we don't have the charts for EL,SK and AZ we've got to modify them to 1000+...
Can ya help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?

I got a letter that my present receiver needs to be replaced. I have a 942 which they tell me is obsolete. What should I expect to get as a replacement? What should I push them to give as a replacement? From what I've been reading I can replace my present 500 dish with the new 1000.4. If I decide to install it myself will the new receiver I'm getting as a replacement have the new card so i can use the 1000.4?
I reason I want 1000.4 is I don't want a second dish on my roof? I also have old 301 receivers, and am wondering if they should or need to replaced also.
Thanks
KenM

I got a letter that my present receiver needs to be replaced. I have a 942 which they tell me is obsolete. What should I expect to get as a replacement? What should I push them to give as a replacement?
I think a 622, or if you're lucky, a 722, will be the replacement.
From what I've been reading I can replace my present 500 dish with the new 1000.4. If I decide to install it myself will the new receiver I'm getting as a replacement have the new card so i can use the 1000.4? I reason I want 1000.4 is I don't want a second dish on my roof? I also have old 301 receivers, and am wondering if they should or need to replaced also.
A 1000.4 points at the Eastern Arc, which is MPEG4 only. Existing customers will NOT be switched to there (for the time being). Your 301 receiver will NOT work if you do your own install and point at EA. Dish is not replacing those older MPEG2 receivers anytime soon or at least nothing's been announced.

I think a 622, or if you're lucky, a 722, will be the replacement.
A 1000.4 points at the Eastern Arc, which is MPEG4 only. Existing customers will NOT be switched to there (for the time being). Your 301 receiver will NOT work if you do your own install and point at EA. Dish is not replacing those older MPEG2 receivers anytime soon or at least nothing's been announced.

That's part of the reason why EA is only available to new customers. Imagine the mess with customers having a mix of ViP and MPEG2 receivers, having to replace all those boxes is too big of an undertaking right now. Look at how long it's taking just to replace the relatively few 811, 921, and 942 receivers. I know. The amount of W/O we are getting for ViP upgrades is unreal. Can you imagine replacing hundreds of thousands of MPEG2 boxes?

Well folks...

I didn't get my Smartcard needed to test the Eastern Arc service. But I did get the Dish up and running!

Setting up this Dish was a snap, it took me around 15 minutes to put it together and another 15 to mount the dish and get it locked down with some solid signals. :)

Mounting the Dish was a snap. In my area the elevation was 42 degrees, and the scew was 90 degrees, I didn't even need to screw with the scew.

Once I had the mount attached to the house (the longest part of the Dish install) I stuck the dish on the mount connected a coax to my SuperBuddy meter and turned the dish until I had signal. Once I got the strongest signal by moving it to the right and left, I now used the up and down adjustments until I got the highest signal I could. After that I locked everything down and ran a coax cable to my sons room (it is the closest room to the dish, and I didn't want to dismantle my Dish 500 and 61.5 setup I currently use since none of the TV's in the house would be able to watch TV until I got the new smartcards) :)

Once I had the cable run I connected it to his 622 receiver using a DPP Seperator. Up next I ran the check switch.. this took a LONG LONG time to get from step 1 of 4 to step 2 of 4. As it was on step 4 of 4 a message popped up on the screen saying my receiver was going to turn off due to inactivity, so I pressed cancel on that message, which also canceled the check switch... so I had to run it again.

After 20 minutes went by the check switch was done and it alerted me I was looking at less satellites then I was looking at before (which was true) and asked me if I wanted to save, I said yes.

After this it went to the aquiring satellite signal screen, it started on 61.5 then went to 110 (umm I don't have 110 hooked up) then after a few minutes went back to 61.5 again. After that is did its start up of 1 - 5 on the 61.5 satellite, after that was done it asked me if I wanted to download the guide, it said it would take 5 minutes so I let it run... after 20 minutes I hit the cancel button. (The green download bar was just a few hairs from the end but it sat there for a long long time)

After that.. boom I was watching television from the Eastern Arc.

Surprisingly the first channel to come up was Channel 101 (The Dish Network Neighborhood channel) I hit the info button on my remote twice and saw that I was watching it from the 72 degree slot. This was my first view of SD MPEG4 of Dish Network.

The PQ was ok, but hard to judge since I knew the recording was coming off a hard drive at the uplink center. As I looked I could see compression blocks in some of the solid backrounds and even sometimes on the faces. But again I believe that this was pre compressed for MPEG2, so the PQ on this channel is not one I would guage anything from.

In a quick flip through the channels all of the channels coming off of the 72 degree satellite were black as I need a new Generation 3 smart card to view them surprisingly there was one HD channel which I could pick up from the 72 degree location and that was HDTheater. The PQ on this channel looked great. In fact its the best I have seen that channel look in a long time.

All of the HD from 61.5 was available to me to watch and I was also able to watch USA-HD from 61.5.

My HD locals were available from 61.5 but I did not see my SD locals listed in the guide.

After testing for awhile, I hoooked my sons 622 back up to the legacy satellite system and ran a check switch again. Once that was done he was back to watching TV.

I was happy that I was able to easily tune into the Eastern Arc satellites. And then I went and watched the closing ceremonies for the Olympics. Overall it was a productive day.

Below is some of the pictures I took, note that the TV pictures I took were taken by me taking a picture of his LCD TV. (yeah I know not the best qualilty) but you get the picture. :D

Attachments

• ea1.jpg
    ea1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 343
  • usa1.jpg
    usa1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 290
  • usa2.jpg
    usa2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 281
  • hbo1.jpg
    hbo1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 258
  • hbo2.jpg
    hbo2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 101_1.jpg
    101_1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 282
Scott,

How does the receiver know to switch the satellites that its suppose to be tuning to? Consider those of us who want to switch from western arc to eastern arc.

Or is it dumb and only displays what's being received meaning that you can get the wrong satellite on an input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts