Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

Just to get a little clarification -

Has the 1000.4 and the Eastern Arc configuration been launched in a broader area than the listed cities yet? I will be moving to a new condo in Cedar Rapids, IA, 52403, with a patio on the Eastern side of the building. The building will be preventing LOS to the 119 satellite and anything farther West. All of the Eastern Arc locations should have great line of sight from my location. Is this configuration available yet here?

I tried chatting with a CSR on Dish's website, but they weren't very helpful. How are you guys getting Eastern Arc denoted on your install paperwork before the installer shows up to ensure they have a 1000.4 dish on the truck?

I'd be a new customer, and plan on getting my locals OTA so I can receive them in HD

EDIT -
Some more information to see if this dish configuration will be feasble for me: I plan on subbing to the America's Top 250 package plus the multi-sports package, with the intention of viewing FSN-MW in HD (52403 is in the Blues/Cardinals viewing area, so no blackouts). Probably some premium channels like HBO and Showtime which I'd like in HD as well.

Last edited:
Just to get a little clarification -

Has the 1000.4 and the Eastern Arc configuration been launched in a broader area than the listed cities yet? I will be moving to a new condo in Cedar Rapids, IA, 52403, with a patio on the Eastern side of the building. The building will be preventing LOS to the 119 satellite and anything farther West. All of the Eastern Arc locations should have great line of sight from my location. Is this configuration available yet here?

I tried chatting with a CSR on Dish's website, but they weren't very helpful. How are you guys getting Eastern Arc denoted on your install paperwork before the installer shows up to ensure they have a 1000.4 dish on the truck?

I'd be a new customer, and plan on getting my locals OTA so I can receive them in HD

EDIT -
Some more information to see if this dish configuration will be feasble for me: I plan on subbing to the America's Top 250 package plus the multi-sports package, with the intention of viewing FSN-MW in HD (52403 is in the Blues/Cardinals viewing area, so no blackouts). Probably some premium channels like HBO and Showtime which I'd like in HD as well.
Sounds to me like you're barking up the right tree. However, I also have had problems with what I thought the agreement was over the telephone and found it to be different with what the installer came prepared to do or what he actually did. That's why I like the chat option and then to print the chat dialog. That's what I finally did for my 5th visit of an installer and actually the chat that I had was pretty accurate.

My chat buddy said that I should be able to get what I needed with a 1000+ dish. The installer confirmed that and said that the 1000.4 does not carry my local (raleigh) channels in HD, but will in the near future. However, I have a LOS issue with the lower satellites (like you) and tried to talk him into doing a 1000.4 install now and I will wait a month or so to pick up the HD locals. He said that he couldn't do that w/o authorization and that I probably would need to pay for the 1000.4 dish (the 1000+ was free). I said let's give the 1000+ a try and I will continue to complain to DN if it doesn't work. To my surprise, the 1000+ works fine with the lower horizon dish for me.

My LOS issue is with a neighbor's tree and will get worse as the tree grows. However, I figure in a few years the technology and satellites will change anyway and I'll make the switch then.

My major points/advice are:

1. You are accurate in your thinking that you may get some surprises when the installer shows up.

2. having a written record of agreements is always a good idea.

Sounds to me like you're barking up the right tree. However, I also have had problems with what I thought the agreement was over the telephone and found it to be different with what the installer came prepared to do or what he actually did. That's why I like the chat option and then to print the chat dialog. That's what I finally did for my 5th visit of an installer and actually the chat that I had was pretty accurate.

My chat buddy said that I should be able to get what I needed with a 1000+ dish. The installer confirmed that and said that the 1000.4 does not carry my local (raleigh) channels in HD, but will in the near future. However, I have a LOS issue with the lower satellites (like you) and tried to talk him into doing a 1000.4 install now and I will wait a month or so to pick up the HD locals. He said that he couldn't do that w/o authorization and that I probably would need to pay for the 1000.4 dish (the 1000+ was free). I said let's give the 1000+ a try and I will continue to complain to DN if it doesn't work. To my surprise, the 1000+ works fine with the lower horizon dish for me.

My LOS issue is with a neighbor's tree and will get worse as the tree grows. However, I figure in a few years the technology and satellites will change anyway and I'll make the switch then.

My major points/advice are:

1. You are accurate in your thinking that you may get some surprises when the installer shows up.

2. having a written record of agreements is always a good idea.
Your installer is dead wrong. The Raleigh locals are available on the 61.5 satellite and have been for several weeks now. That is the purpose of the EA and the 1000.4 dish to receive 77, 72.5 and 61.5. It is amazing how little some of the people working for dish know about their product.

Actually, I should have been more clear. The installer said that could do a 61.5 install with a second dish. What I had was a 500 dish and receiving 110, 119, and 129 but no HD locals. He said that I would need a second dish pointed at 61.5 or that he could install the 1000+ single-dish option and add 118.7 for the HD locals.

I did notice that he also installed another piece of equipment to the dish mount. It had several F type connectors top and bottom and was about the size of a small desktop router. Maybe it was a signal amplifier? In my discussions with him (trying to get the 1000.4) he had the thing in his hand and happened to comment that it cost $300 and the 1000.4 dish would be a cheaper option for DN. He was more or less agreeing with my desire for the latest dish. This was before he did the install and after he agreed that I had a LOS problem and weak signal from 118.7.

However, I'm getting 77-78 signal strength on the 118.7 now. My 129 has dropped to about 50, but I haven't noticed any programming loss yet. My install is only a couple of days old.

I am having some micro-second audio dropout issues with the new 722/118.7/HD combo but I'm working on that on another thread. I think it may be a 722 hardware problem since I appear to have plenty of signal strength.

Actually, I should have been more clear. The installer said that could do a 61.5 install with a second dish. What I had was a 500 dish and receiving 110, 119, and 129 but no HD locals. He said that I would need a second dish pointed at 61.5 or that he could install the 1000+ single-dish option and add 118.7 for the HD locals.

I did notice that he also installed another piece of equipment to the dish mount. It had several F type connectors top and bottom and was about the size of a small desktop router. Maybe it was a signal amplifier? In my discussions with him (trying to get the 1000.4) he had the thing in his hand and happened to comment that it cost $300 and the 1000.4 dish would be a cheaper option for DN. He was more or less agreeing with my desire for the latest dish. This was before he did the install and after he agreed that I had a LOS problem and weak signal from 118.7.

However, I'm getting 77-78 signal strength on the 118.7 now. My 129 has dropped to about 50, but I haven't noticed any programming loss yet. My install is only a couple of days old.

I am having some micro-second audio dropout issues with the new 722/118.7/HD combo but I'm working on that on another thread. I think it may be a 722 hardware problem since I appear to have plenty of signal strength.
Sounds like maybe he just did not have a 1000.4. You should be ok, that signal strength is good on the 118.7 and since dish is replacing the satellite a 129 in December, your 129 should be ok. Enjoy!

Expectations for 77 with Echostar 8 Arrives?

Echostar 8 is crawling slowly toward the 77 slot. Has any official word been given as to the programming going on this bird? Any Rumors?

Locals? (does E-8 have spot beams?, if so where will they end up pointing?)
More HD?
Missing SD on EA? (Latino, Sport Nets, ...)

I am hoping for CONUS HD locals of some sort. My OTA with no guide is less than ideal.

My OTA with no guide is less than ideal.
When I had OTA I got the guide with my 622. Go to your menu setup. I don't recall the roadmap, but the destination is something like "add local channels" or something like that. Once you add your OTA locals they will appear on the guide as bright yellow and you will see programming on the guide.

When I had OTA I got the guide with my 622. Go to your menu setup. I don't recall the roadmap, but the destination is something like "add local channels" or something like that. Once you add your OTA locals they will appear on the guide as bright yellow and you will see programming on the guide.

I can't get guide data for locals because I am pointed to Easter Arc when my locals are only on Western Arc.

I had to twist Dish Networks arm to get the EA dish installed since WA wasn't available due to LOS. The installer had to have a dish shipped down from Cleveland to do my install.

I can live with manual timers on locals for now, but as soon as I hear of a local HD signal available to my area I will "move" my service address to get those locals.

INteresting.

I guess I never tried to add the locals to y 622 without satellite service. When I added mine they were OTA and I actually was getting programming information even on my TV (Samsung - Channel List menu option). I guess I was asuming that the OTA program info was coming from the OTA digital signal.

Atlanta and Eastern Arc - told not available

Got eastern arch in atlanta, self install, store bought.
Also have 61.5/110/119 on second 722 that I will sell when 77 works.

I just had Dish do an install this past weekend in Smyrna, GA (just NW of Atlanta). I am unable to see the 110, 119, etc satellites. Dish Network reps actually tried to get installers to set me up with a 1000.4 dish, but the installers have told me they are not allowed to give me that service in Atlanta yet - that it will be Feb/March timeframe before I can get that service.

So right now I only have a Dish 500 pointing at the 61.5 satellite and so I am missing about a half dozen channels from my TurboHD package.

I've seen other people who say they can get the service in Atlanta so I am curious as to how they got it? Can I purchase a 1000.4 dish and set it up myself and then just point at both 61.5 and 72.7 satellites and get all the channels in my package? Or does Dish have to authorize me to receive data from 72.7 (which it sounds like from the installer I spoke with)?

I just had Dish do an install this past weekend in Smyrna, GA (just NW of Atlanta). I am unable to see the 110, 119, etc satellites. Dish Network reps actually tried to get installers to set me up with a 1000.4 dish, but the installers have told me they are not allowed to give me that service in Atlanta yet - that it will be Feb/March timeframe before I can get that service.

So right now I only have a Dish 500 pointing at the 61.5 satellite and so I am missing about a half dozen channels from my TurboHD package.

I've seen other people who say they can get the service in Atlanta so I am curious as to how they got it? Can I purchase a 1000.4 dish and set it up myself and then just point at both 61.5 and 72.7 satellites and get all the channels in my package? Or does Dish have to authorize me to receive data from 72.7 (which it sounds like from the installer I spoke with)?
Correct. The Atlanta DMA is not yet eligible for 1000.4...Here's a list of the markets that are 1000.4 eligible.
local network programming transitions.
Eastern Arc DMAs as of October 8, 2008
Eastern Arc DMAs with HD Local Network Programming
Baltimore, MD Greensboro, NC Norfolk, VA
Beaumont, TX Greenville, NC Orlando, FLBoston, MA Greenville, SC Philadelphia, PA
Charlotte, NC Hartford, CT Providence, RI
Chicago, IL Knoxville, TN Raleigh, NC
Cleveland, OH Lansing, MI Richmond, VA
Columbia, SC Madison, WI Tampa, FL
Dallas, TX Milwaukee, WI Washington, D.C.
Detroit, MI Minneapolis, MN West Palm Beach, FL
Grand Rapids, MI Nashville, TN Wilkes Barre, PA
Green Bay, WI New York, NY
Eastern Arc DMAs without HD Local Network Programming
Sherman, TX-Ada, OK

second part....Yes I would imagine you can purchase a 1000.4 dish. Retailers please chime in.....Anyway the problem is this.. The sat receivers must be Eastern Arc Compliant MPEG 4 compatible receivers. Otherwise the receivers will not work

second part....Yes I would imagine you can purchase a 1000.4 dish. Retailers please chime in.....Anyway the problem is this.. The sat receivers must be Eastern Arc Compliant MPEG 4 compatible receivers. Otherwise the receivers will not work

I am getting my locals in HD from the 61.5 satellite - just don't see things such as ESPN, SciFi, TNT, HDNet, HDTheatre which are seen on 72.7. I'm not sure why ESPN2, ESPNews are both on 61.5 but ESPN is on 72.7.

Anyways- to get back to the point: I have a VIP 612 which I believe is MPEG-4 compliant. From what I can find online I should be fine on that point. What I am not sure about is if I need special access to get feeds from the 72.7 or if I can see them if I just install a 1000.4 dish and set it up properly. Retailers?

And if I do buy one off Ebay or someplace (I think $100-$150) how difficult is it to swap the Dish 500 for the 1000.4? I'm pretty handy and technical but have never worked with satellites before.

wow... just got off an online chat with Dish. I told them I was moving and really needed a single dish solution and that I was wondering if they had information on Eastern Arc deployment in the Buffalo, NY DMA.

He told me they didn't have that information and then proceeded to tell me I'm in Western Arc.
That's about when I lost all confidence in anything he had said prior.

... sigh...

wow... just got off an online chat with Dish. I told them I was moving and really needed a single dish solution and that I was wondering if they had information on Eastern Arc deployment in the Buffalo, NY DMA.

He told me they didn't have that information and then proceeded to tell me I'm in Western Arc.
That's about when I lost all confidence in anything he had said prior.

... sigh...

I had 1 Dish rep tell me all my HD channels would be on 61.5
2 others set up installs for the 1000.4 dish and Eastern Arc. It was the installers who told me they were not authorized to set me up on EA until maybe Feb/March 2009.
Afterwards on the phone I had a Dish rep who kept saying I was already set up to get the 1000.4 dish and when I said the installers are not authorized to install it and put me on EA the rep said - "yes that is correct, you are not able to get EA, but I do show you have an install set up for the 1000 dish today"...

Really depends on which rep you get I think.

well... looking through The List I see my HD locals are on 61.5 and my SD locals are on 110. Was he maybe looking at my locals on 110 and interpreting that as western arc?

Whatever... I don't see a one-dish solution happening for me any time soon.

I am in the Greenville, NC market and have DISH lined up to install a wing dish Saturday so that I can pick up HD locals on 61.5. Should I try to get them to install the 1000.4 instead? I have good reception as a whole, though I think my signal goes out pretty fast when it rains.

Dumb question: first off, I am in the "Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA" area.

When our locals ever get HD (they keep saying soon, then delay it again) will I need this new dish to pick up my new HD locals, or will those my locals be on a different dish? I currently have a dish 500 at the regular 110*, etc and a second dish 500 pointed at 61.5*

So will I need the new dish/smart card for my 722? If so, how much will it cost, or would dish upgrade me for free?

Thanks to anyone that could help me out in answering this!

-Scott

for the wilkes/scranton area i thought the local HDs sat was 118

Does anybody know if You can use a DISH 500 dish to aim at 77 and 72 satellites and a separate dish aimed at 61 to get the eastern arc? or do You have to have the 1000.4 dish for the eastern arc?

Thanks in advance for Your reply.

EA locals in Boston?

I just got satellite for the first time (DN). I have a single dish and I'm using the EA. The installer said that the (non-guaranteed) date for locals to show up was October 12th.

How will I know if the locals are available on the 12th?
Will they just show up or do I have to do something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts