Eastern Arc from Puerto Rico

RafaelCCS, Sorry for the ignorance but I have to be clear on the size. When you say 5 m Prime Focus is 5 meters wish is equivalent to 16.4 feet. When I mention my antenna size I was refering to it on feet (8' feet). The question would be: Would an 8' Feet antenna from PR work?

Thank you for your patience.

rdavidowski:

Remember you are in P.R. (San Juan: 18.29 N / 66.7 W) I'm @ (CCS: 10.30 N / 66.56 W) my conditions are more extreme than yours, therefore my contitions should be similar than yours but magnified, based upon longitude because your latitude favors your signal levels.

For example:

In Puerto Rico you need a 4 ft. for 110W and 5 ft. for 119W (119W is more critical)

I use 3.8 m to achieve 119W and 2.4 m to achieve 110W
Based upon my experience in Fringe 61.5 W is weaker than 72.7 W in my area
To achieve respectable readings from 61.5 W I need a 6.3 m antenna, but for 72.7 W a 5 m does the job.

If you use a 2.4 m (8 ft.) to achieve good levels from 61.5 W the same antenna must work good with 72.7W all you need to do is aim the antenna to see what levels you are capable to receive.

Post and let us know...

Good Luck!!!

well doing some research around, and using the satellite reception tools on satbeams.com i got this screenshot from my browser related to the 72.7 sat reception from puerto rico. here is it:

727pr.png

the active link for this tool on this map and satellite is (point the hot location to PR):
SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprint Echostar 6 (Sky 1B, MCI 2) / Nimiq 5

click and play with it.

I can conclude, for the info there that for reception of the 72.7 sat in Puerto Rico I need an ? 11' dish. (probably would work with over 10')

same for sat 77 ((see below)

77pr.png

Link to map:SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprint Echostar 1 / Echostar 4 / Echostar 8

data on satbeams.com must be accurate as I can confirm the size it recommends for 61.5 shoud be ? 7' ( It works over 6')
see below
615.png

link: SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprint Amazonas 1 (Amazonas) / Echostar 12 (Rainbow 1, Cablevision 1) / Echostar 3

Last edited:
Titanio:

EIRP, footprints are projections, there are some factors involved that variate the real readings.....don't think someone actually goes on a boat with a spectrum analyzer and measures dot by dot, they use math to project.....

I barely appear in most EIRP or footprints...but I run my tests and calculate based upon readings from a spectrum analyzer. Bottom line tests will give you the final veredict.

Good Luck!!!

Titanio:

EIRP, footprints are projections, there are some factors involved that variate the real readings.....don't think someone actually goes on a boat with a spectrum analyzer and measures dot by dot, they use math to project.....

I barely appear in most EIRP or footprints...but I run my tests and calculate based upon readings from a spectrum analyzer. Bottom line tests will give you the final veredict.

Good Luck!!!

Im sure these maps are computer-based-data rendering, but usually these kind of engineering data is accurate when tested. Myself, I can tell you they must be right. as I already confirmed 61.5 with their approximate recommendation.

From their web site:

History
Satbeams.com was started as a private initiative. I am just one of many Sat-TV fans doing it as a hobby. I have been thinking about such a website since summer 2007 when I got the idea to overlay the footprints of geostationary satellites with Google Maps and provide the possibility to collect and display the actual reception data from over the globe. It took me a while to start putting the website together and very soon I have realised that it is just too much to do it alone! So I have involved several supporters to collect the inventory information about the satellites, their technical details, as well as digitize all of the available satellite footprints. At the same time I have contracted the development agency to work on the website design and coding. As a result Satbeams.com was launched in April 2008 with the initial information about over 220 satellites and 650 beam footprints. Since that time satbeams.com has grown a lot and curently has the biggest collection of active beam footprints in the world! I do really appreciate all the supporters who helped me with reference information, frequency/channels data and footprints details. Without the help of all these people this website will never come true!

All I can state is in their Footprint of EVI @ 72.7 W I don't even appear......but I get the signal.

P.D. they post based upon information given by users, therefore your information is close to reality (people in P.R. gave them the info).....no one posted from my location so they plotted my area out of any EIRP.

Last edited:
From their web site:

All I can state is in their Footprint of EVI @ 72.7 W I don't even appear......but I get the signal.

P.D. they post based upon information given by users, therefore your information is close to reality (people in P.R. gave them the info).....no one posted from my location so they plotted my area out of any EIRP.

well you said and I quote:

different set up I have done, all are minimal sizes in order to acheive good loacable signal levels per orbital slot:

I use a 5.0 m (prime focus) for 72.7

you use 5 meter dish that is about 16 feet
that's a very large dish, your signal must be very low then, in engineering they call it "negligible" that's the reason why it must not be on the map.

so probably a 10' dish could really work here in PR. maybe the 8 footer who knows. rdavidowski should invite me over a Sunday afternoon, BBQ something and test it, i'm a neighbor from caguas hehehe

E15 is schedule for 2010 for the 61.5 degree location, according to the following thread and FCC information inside the same thread.

more info at this link:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/205682-echostar-15-files-fcc-launch.html

According to the document links provided, the signal level in Puerto Rico/USVI will be comparable to the sat at 110 degrees and the new sat E14 that's moving right now to 119 degrees. Conus and Puerto Rico coverage. With that kind of signal strength Puerto Rico will only need a small dish similar to the ones that are going to begin selling this summer of 2010 to get 110 and 119 degrees.

more info on E15:
https://sites.google.com/site/satkml/home/echostar-15-61-5w-twl-conus-plus
https://sites.google.com/site/satkml/home/echostar-15-61-5w-tel-conus-plus

other satellite info:
https://sites.google.com/site/satkml/home

Fact...For 72.7 or 77 you will need a 8' or larger to get not all but some tp's from those sats
Fact.....Dishnetwork is downsize the dishes for PR residents no enlarge them.
Fact...Echo 15 will be on service around August allowing PR residents to get all HD available without bigger dishes or changing you address because they WON'T allow you at this moment to get any of those signals from EA without changing your service address to any States of the east Coast of the Nation.
Fact ....if you do it you will lose your LOCALS.
Put a bigger dish on you roof just for get some not all channels ,lose your locals (and probably pay more in states taxes)is not wise for ANY pay costumer here.
When you use a bigger dish in your residence and any strong weather condition comes o this area(like tropical storms or hurricanes)you will force to take down that dish and them pay any tecnitician to repoint that dish because unless you pay airplane ticket to Yoda and come down here and do it for free.IF what I said is not true just look any of your neighbors with C band and 4DTV dishes what they do every year when Hurricane season start
Now the question you must ask yourself...Are you willing to pay thousands of dollars just for test? for fun?
I leave you with that.

techno-dude there's a neighbor here who is willing to test his own already installed 8 feet dish for the sake of knowledge and maybe amusement. and I dont think its gonna cost him any hundreds, and if he is using it already for 61.5 its also probably not from a PR plan, hes got nothing to loose. We in Caguas receive all locals OTA with ease, main ones even in HD. (maybe if it works I could get one of those big dishes also but it will really cost me, when combined with the other I added recently lol )
personally, I don't need any locals from satellite, much less any PR stripped down lineups plans. (wtf is wrong with all univision and telemundo networks? pfffffffffffffffffff)

techno-dude there's a neighbor here who is willing to test his own already installed 8 feet dish for the sake of knowledge and maybe amusement. and I dont think its gonna cost him any hundreds, and if he is using it already for 61.5 its also probably not from a PR plan, hes got nothing to loose. We in Caguas receive all locals OTA with ease, main ones even in HD. (maybe if it works I could get one of those big dishes also but it will really cost me, when combined with the other I added recently lol )
personally, I don't need any locals from satellite, much less any PR stripped down lineups plans. (wtf is wrong with all univision and telemundo networks? pfffffffffffffffffff)

I understand your case a probably others but your guys are a minority willing to do this,I'm talking about the majority who want more for less on their service.DHA plans will start to roll here on June,this plan will get free service calls(If you joint the program)that will cover your dish or equipment,In order to get it you will need to keep your svc address in PR. Regarding the cost of bigger dish I suggest you to do some research of how much cost a 8 footer or larger(new or used) and post you results here,People will rather to pay for a $40.00 dish and pointing at 61.5 rather than pay more than thousand to point at any other sat.

I understand your case a probably others but your guys are a minority willing to do this,I'm talking about the majority who want more for less on their service.DHA plans will start to roll here on June,this plan will get free service calls(If you joint the program)that will cover your dish or equipment,In order to get it you will need to keep your svc address in PR. Regarding the cost of bigger dish I suggest you to do some research of how much cost a 8 footer or larger(new or used) and post you results here,People will rather to pay for a $40.00 dish and pointing at 61.5 rather than pay more than thousand to point at any other sat.

some people just dont want puerto rico based dish network services, even though they are in puerto rico. for their very own foolish (you may call) reasons.
You dont have to sell puerto rico based service any more here because some people just dont want it; even if they have to make a bigger one time investment.

you get it?

and also, do you understand puerto rico based services get less programming on any standard plan, than in any other state? HD? im not even going there. some people want their choice of programming in the present, not in the future. And some people will try to get it if they can.
You should not interfere with that, because is not your business.

In Miami, shipping not included:

4 ft. $180 to $200 (there's a chinese cheap antenna but for large quantities)
6 ft. $380 to $430
8 ft. $1,400 to $1,800 (the crate for three will save shipping)

that's cheap....you don't want to know the prices for larger ones...

I agree with u....why the local univision & telemundo is so behind...whereas even though the channel listing of Dish say we have those as network channels...all of them r blocked in PR. I agree...we in PR pay the same as states & receive less programming.I dont intend to switch my address to States....but hoping that dish will rectify this situation.

Hi Everyone

Ok people lets not fight among us. Please, were here to help each other. Come on !!!!!. On the subject. Yes, I already have an 8' foot dish (Channel Master, Fiberglass) pointed at 61.5 with more than great results until dish decided to change plans for new HD channels being uploded only to 72.7 and relegating 61.5; for ovbious resons of course ( TP failures ). Don't even know why they have that backup satellite if they are not even using it at 61.5. Well anyhow my account is a puertorican account with the address being here in Caguas. What I did is asked Dish to also give me the platinum HD Pkg they give to the rest of the continetnal US and also have the PR HD Pkg. So I have both HD PKG activated and of course I am being charged for both and also have all the PR locals. To get this setup was a real pain in the as....., it's not easy getting Dish to do this for an account in PR. Well now having all of this and having spent already the money on the antenna it is in reality of no cost to me to do this test. And will get the benefit of getting the new HD channels. I know they are geting a new sat to 61.5 Echostar 15 and that it's lauch date is 7/10/2010 but still Dish has not put out any official plans for HD for PR with that new sat. The only oficial plan is to move every National HD off from 61.5 and put it on 72.7. If they prsist on this PR will be out of luck for a long time. The only aceptable plan for me from Dish would be to have the exact same PKG as the rest of the nation, no if or buts and as soon as posible not next year. I will try and do this and report back; that way anyone intristed will benefit if they are willing to asume the cost for not sticking by the rules.

Thanks for the help to everybody posting here.

The backup satellite is being used at 61.5. The reason they are using 72.7 is there is more room, the satellite is newer, has a better footprint over the US. It isn't designed to cover PR but that's okay since they have other spotbeams for HD for you guys. They aren't doing this just to cut you guys off that were using 61.5 for HD.

The recent announcement that Dish will add only 15 more HD channels to PR lineup was disappointing....& I expect atleast 4-5 of them being local HDs...so basically PR will have abt 10 more national HD channels.Since the E15 have strong signal for PR...but with all national HD on 72.7....I have no idea how that sat will be helpfull here...unless Dish has a change of heart & start placing all the national HD back on E15

three weeks ago I bought a new 5.5' dish for $200 installed. ( after a recommendation from an individual, for 61.5 but its unusable)

then I resold it for $125 (lost $75)

then I bought a used 6' for $250 installed. works like a charm.

I'm new on these satellite things and I found these good deals around, because this stuff is around. If I wanted an 8' dish, I'm sure I would find a good deal. I just have to look for it.

this techno guy appears to be very experienced in this field, and probably knows where to find good deals on large dishes in PR (new or used) but for some reason is not helping. thanks but no thanks.

I was the one that recommended the 61.5 for you and I was the one that installed my dish 5.8" mine works great have no problems with it. It's not my fault that your's did not work it.

Because Technoguy is telling the truth he has his point!

There are some guys around here that are Dish Network Dealers and they know what they are talking about Techno, VC, TomP and others

Last edited:
I am with you Rajmarie. Dish is giving us , Alaska and Hawaii second level service, but still charging the same amount of money for the service as if we had all the channels available like the rest of the continental US. This is not right and not having a clear path for HD plans explained openly and clearly to paying costumers, not behind close doors, makes it worst. Remember we are already paing for the HD service the same amount as the rest of the US and not having Dish explain clearly what are their plans for us is unjust and almost steeling from us. I understand what you say Digiblur, that is not the intention of Dish to let us out of the HD plans by moving new programing because of space concerns to 72.7 but what makes it an insult to us as costumers is that they are charging us the same amount of money as the rest of the nation and on top of that making changes without taking us into consideration or explaing clearly what are the imidiate plans to resolve this situation for us. Remember we are paying for the service already is not up to Dish to give out a plan or not, it is an obligation because we are already paying. As an example when you get into a contract with someone and right after it's made any of the parts desides to make a change it has to let the other part know why he is making the change and how is going to make up for the loss if any. These asumption leads me to belive that Dish owes us residents of Alaska, Hawaii and PR an explanation of why we are being charge the same for less of a service and to also request a plan with a time line of when we are going to have the exact same service as the rest of the US for the same amount of money. See when they change plans to move every new HD channel to 72.7 they are leaving part of their costumers out of the equation and not compensating any of us for the loss and then not explaining their plans now, not tomorrow because we are paing now, makes it worst. I know they have plans to put a new sat at 61.5 Echostar 15 with covereage for PR but since they are now moving everything to 72.7 and that sat has no footprint for PR. Then what are the plans for us? Don't know if you understand my point digiblur. This is why I am going to test the footprint for 72.7 with the 8' footer but that taking things into my own hands and not the proper way to do things. I thinks is better for Dish and us as paiyng costumers to have everithing cearly explained and at least that way we will keep paying with the knowledge that Dish is thinking of us and have a plan for this in a resonable timeframe. Thanks to everyone and sorry for the rambling but I had to get it out of my chest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)