Eavesdropping on GSM calls

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
What does it take to eavesdrop on a GSM call? Not much
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...all-thats-needed-to-eavesdrop-on-gsm-call.ars

This resembles the very first FBI demonstration of breaking WEP in WiFi communication.

This Chaos Computer Club Congress in Berlin is becoming very popular.
Last year they broke the GSM encryption. And this year they not only show how to eavesdrop on GSM calls with $15 phones and 3 minutes time, they also demonstrated dongle-less PS3 jailbreak and calculated its private keys.

Diogen.

This reminds me of the old analog cell days. I was riding with a friend in law enforcement, and in just a few minutes we picked up two separate phone calls of people who obviously were having affairs. This, in a small NC county with less than 100,000 people!

As the article points out, it's really easy for the cellphone operators to patch this security hole.
Now, as this was brought to light, I am sure most of them will take some precautions, if they haven't done that already.

As the article points out, it's really easy for the cellphone operators to patch this security hole.
Now, as this was brought to light, I am sure most of them will take some precautions, if they haven't done that already.

It will probably take some politician's scandalous phone call being recorded before it happens. They will demand hearings and such and the cell phone companies will be forced to at least use random characters in the packets to prevent the lookup table attack from being useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts