Ebay problems?

DJ Rob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I just upgraded my Expressvu receiver and wanted to sell my old ones. I thought Ebay would be the best way...

Each time I listed them, Ebay has taken the listings down saying that it is illegal equipment. Tonight they told me that Dish Network complained I was selling hacked equipment.

How can an Expressvu 6000 HD receiver that was on a valid subbed account until this week and never tampered with be illegal or be considered hacked equipment? And why does Dish screw with Expressvu subs on Ebay?

I have had a valid Bell account for years and pay for the programming I get.

I called Bell tonight and was told it was totally legal to sell their receivers on Ebay.
But yet, my auctions keep geting cancelled with the broad explanation that it is illegal in Dish's eyes.

Does anyone have a suggestion or know why Dish is doing this?

I think it has to do with buying/selling Bell equipment in the US & Vise Versa with Dishnetwork in Canada. So selling is fine as long as in the country your selling it in, the receiver can be legally subscribed to.

1-Change your location to say canada or north America
2-sell it here in the classified section once you become a supporting member.
3- Craigslist

i bought and sold a *c receiver on ebay- i have seen bev receivers for sale on ebay with a note we ship to usa,
so i can not understand why that has happened to you.

I had no idea it was illegal to sell satellite equipment to a different country. Can someone point me to a link to that law?

It's funny, this Expressvu 6000 is made in the USA and is certified by the FCC.

I thought it was only illegal to get a subscription and use it in the country that it is not allowed in.

When called last night, Bell and Dish both said it was legal to sell their equipment to anyone in any country. That's right, ANY COUNTRY.

The Dish CSR even said there are a "good amount" of their subscribers that live part-time in the USA but are citizens of other countries. And some take their receivers home after working here in the US. The guy even laughed and said that if they didn't allow equipment sales to Canada or Mexico, they wouldn't have near the amount of subscribers they do have.

Both Expressvu and Dish said it is up to the buyer to get a valid subscription and that makes sense to me.

It still doesn't make sense that Dish has now totally lied to Ebay 3 times saying I'm selling hacked equipment when I'm not. Why didn't they just tell the truth to Ebay and quote the law that you can't sell any equipment to another country if such a law exists? After searching most of the day, I don't believe that law does exist.

I think what Dish is doing by lying to Ebay about me and my family is borderline illegal and at the very least, pretty unethical.

DJ Rob,

Usually the auction end notice posts a e-mailaddress for Dish like abuse@..... Send them a e-mail and ask them what their problem is.

Kryspy

Were you giving information about the smartcard by saying to was ROM level whatever? That's generally a flag for pirating activities.

When I sold my 6000 way back in the day Dishnetwork cancelled my auction for the same reasons.

I called Dish and got connected to the signal integrity dept. and basically gave them my ebayID and told them I was Canadian and asked them to kindly mind their own business :)

I reposted my auction and my 6000 sold for $700 which I am sure was to a hacker :)

Kryspy

Were you giving information about the smartcard by saying to was ROM level whatever? That's generally a flag for pirating activities.

I didn't mention anything more than it was a used receiver with remote and valid smart card that was taken off my account when I upgraded. And that it was cleared off my account and ready to be subbed with Bell.

After my auction was pulled the first time, I added that the receiver was never modified or tampered with in any way since they accused me of tampering with it in their first email.

Then they said that model receiver is not an FCC approved device and broke their rules for listing electronics. There's a big sticker on the back saying it is FCC approved so I'm not sure where they got that. SO I told them it was approved and that it was basically the same as the Dish 6000.

After that, I added a thing on the bottom of the listing asking them not to pull it because it is within their rules and it still got pulled without reason. :confused:

When I sold my 6000 way back in the day Dishnetwork cancelled my auction for the same reasons.

I called Dish and got connected to the signal integrity dept. and basically gave them my ebayID and told them I was Canadian and asked them to kindly mind their own business :)

I reposted my auction and my 6000 sold for $700 which I am sure was to a hacker :)

Kryspy

I just called Dish's customer service and again was told what I was doing was legal. They left a message for that dept to leave me alone. I hope this will be the last of it. We'll see when I relist it :cool:

I give up on Ebay. :( They removed my relisting tonight saying that Expressvu does not make a model 6000 and mine must be a hacked Dish Network version. :confused:
What idiots they are!
I've listed mine for sale in the classifieds here. :cool:

Last edited:
I got another email from Ebay saying that one of my listings was also pulled by Bell. And it only gets weirder folks...

"Thank you for writing eBay in regard to the listing which was removed.

We appreciate your clarification, however, eBay received contradictory
information from Bell that this is a legal auction. After consulting with Bell, eBay no longer allows members to sell Bell ExpressVu smart cards, if included with a receiver or without. Any receiver sold should NOT include a smart card PERIOD. If we find that you included a smart card, the auction will be cancelled and your membership will be suspended.

If you have additional questions about ExpressVu, please contact Bell directly. To find the company's contact information, please visit: http://www.bell.ca/support

You are welcome to relist the receiver provided a card is not included
or advertised in any manner."

So I called Bell and was told that it was illegal for me to sell a receiver without a smart card since there was no way to activate it legally without one.

I don't get it... :confused: :confused: :confused:

And what about the receivers that have them built inside???

They are like the law, they can do whatever they want when it comes to pulling auctions. They probably do not want any legal issues so they are probably getting more strict.

expressvu doesnt makea 600 ird they make a 6000C. technichality i say sell it here or keep putting pressure on*ish and E *ay
you are doing nothing wrong and shouldnt give in when youre right keep trying

I call bs on the letter E *bay sent from *ell no reason clean card and ird cant be sold in combo on E *ay

expressvu doesnt makea 600 ird they make a 6000C. technichality i say sell it here or keep putting pressure on*ish and E *ay
you are doing nothing wrong and shouldnt give in when youre right keep trying

I call bs on the letter E *bay sent from *ell no reason clean card and ird cant be sold in combo on E *ay

I'm keeping the pressure on since Bell tells me the exact opposite on the phone from what that EBay rep is.

I emailed the Ebay rep back and asked for the person's name with Bell who told them that a valid card being included is illegal. I also told her that Bell told me again when I called that a valid card MUST be included in any Ebay auction for Expressvu equipment or that is illegal.

I'm wondering if Bell is trying to prevent any used equipment being sold out there since I'm sure Ebay would love to take my money from the auction.

Doing a search on Ebay, it seems Bell's receivers are pretty scarce. But I do see some on there that mention that bad word, "card"....:rolleyes:
I'll keep everyone updated if I hear anything more.

Starchoice, the Superbowl, and HD

Remote Cntrl Compatible w/ BEV 5900

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts